OLD SCHOOL DISCONTINUED!?!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am

Wooper,
THe synthesizers.com keyboard would be ideal for the OS or the Voyager. Its only 400 bucks, is Midi, and is analogue capable of duophony, monophony and looks nice too.

I own both the Micro and the 1130 percussion controller. My Micro was free though, but I paid I think 300 for the drum and it wasn't in great condition, but still works. I was pretty much born a drummer and when I saw a drum with Moog circuits in it I was immediately infatuated.

Oh the things in life we wish that we could do over.

Where are you from to find such a deal like that?

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:20 am

mayidunk
Thats funny that you saw the same one. I have never seen them that cheap before or since. I was expecting some busted crack, or a nasty scrape. The only thing that I can tell might be wrong with it, is that the giant overlay sticker that has all the knob info is slightly off by a micrometer. I can see a really obsessed person wanting to exchange it back in, but I had it for weeks before I noticed it. So who knows. Thanks for holding back.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:31 am

Erick,
The micromoog was in the shop I was taking guitar lessons from back in the early 90's. Nobody gave a crap about synths while smells like teen spirit was climbing the charts. I knew it was awesome. Looking back on it, I remembered thinking 100 bucks was expensive. There was no ebay to check street prices, no synthsite to run a spec check. It was the glorious dark ages of my youth. Somebody in gainesville,FL got a killer deal and I could tell like two minutes later I would regret it. They couldnt give me the money fast enough, nervous, likewhen you are buying a diamond from a crazy person for 10 bux.
But again, I had seen old monosynths in shops many times before. Thought I'd get another down the road. I'm gonna cry.....
But, I can say this, people paying those prices now, are insane!!! It was cool, but not that cool. You could get three yamaha CS synths for that price and have a synth party. 70's era moogs are vry cool though, so i get it.

BTW, how does the drum thing sound with it. I always wondered what the best application was with regards to pitch whilst playing the drum.

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm

wooperman wrote:Erick,
I remembered thinking 100 bucks was expensive. There was no ebay to check street prices, no synthsite to run a spec check. It was the glorious dark ages of my youth.
yeah, ebay has made things expensive.....but it also is so easy to sell something now.

i just ordered my voyager OS today.....income tax return is now depleted (before i even have it....but at least i know how much its for).

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:40 pm

wooperman wrote:mayidunk
Thats funny that you saw the same one. I have never seen them that cheap before or since. I was expecting some busted crack, or a nasty scrape. The only thing that I can tell might be wrong with it, is that the giant overlay sticker that has all the knob info is slightly off by a micrometer. I can see a really obsessed person wanting to exchange it back in, but I had it for weeks before I noticed it. So who knows. Thanks for holding back.
Yeah, I already have a Performer, and have really been kind of thinking about an OS because I really do like having just the pure analog pots controlling the circuits directly instead of going through A/D converters. However, I decided that any knob lag I might experience on the Performer was mostly unnoticed, and where it was noticed, it wasn't enough of a bother to justify the cost of the OS.

Besides, money not spent on the OS is money available for the car, the house, MoogerFoogers... you know, the essentials of life! :lol:

Pastoral

Post by Pastoral » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:24 am

I was beside myself when Moog announced the OS. This was the synth that I thought they should have released before the Performer. I bought one immediately....I feel like this will be one of the rare classics Moog released from this era. GREAT synth....best thing I've ever owned, and I've had a lot of the classics....Model D's, System 100, Oberheim Four Voice, Prophet, Monopoly, all the SH series, etc.
Moog Mother 32 System | MF104m | MF105m | MF107 | MF108m | CP251 | Moog Etherwave Theremin | Moog Amplifier

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:43 pm

i wonder how many people are buying the OS now that they released their limited production?

i know for me at least, that since they first announced the OS i had to have one but didnt have the money. now that they wont be made for much longer, i feel forced into scrounging the change together to get it (well, maybe a bit more than just some loose change).

any ideas on how many were/are made? maybe another run in the future (like the MF104z analog delay)?

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:05 pm

I'd really like to be able to get a hold of one. Guess it will be used for me tho. Anyone have any idea how many were made?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Man Im sure that it will take them awhile to make 200 more. Even after they officially say no more will be made, dealers will still have them.

THey will be around just like Model Ds are around and all other Moog Products can still be had.......IF THEY AREN'T ALL GOING TO EUROPE.

Eric

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:18 pm

I never , I mean NEVER saw a Moog Voyager Old School for sale in the music shops here in new zealand or even a Moog Voyager Rack , i really hope I had the chance to purchase a Moog Voyager OS , even if I have to pay around 5/6 thousand (NEW ZEALAND DOLLARS) ....
At this point I been saving for a LPII but it will be my very dream to own a Voyager OS ,even if it takes me six months to save the rest of the money
Is there any way to get a Moog OS on hold till I saved all the money nesesary to buy one ? ......

:)
Last edited by Anna's Digit on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Man if you are willing to spend that kind of money on it, start a layaway policy with a store here in the USA and have them ship it.

Or just go out and get a loan and get it.

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm officially saving for a Voyager Old School !
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 pm

Anna's Digit wrote:I'm officially saving for a Voyager Old School !
Consider yourself lucky! I bought my LP just weeks before the OS was announced! Otherwise, I'd have bought the OS instead. :x Not that my LP isn't awesome, of course. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:18 am

This is all just pure curiosity, I'm not gonna jump up with some big Ah-ha!.
How many minimoog Model D's were made?
How many Yamaha DX-7's were made?
How many voyagers (non-OS) so far?
How many little phattys?
At current retail, no one has anything to worry about as far as getting an OS goes. But if the price drops to 1000-1500, then they will be scooped up and may begin to rise shortly after that.

Seeing 2nd hand Little Phatty's for 500-600 bux in 2-3 years is going to make me wince in pain, but I think it will happen.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 pm

wooperman, you make an excellent point! Except, there were something like 13000 Model D's made, probably 5000 or so DX-7's, maybe more, and at least 5000 LP's. I'm not sure of the Voyager production numbers, but they've been in production since Bob was alive. I'm sure there's over 9000 of 'em floating around. With only 1000 OS's, they are going to be quite the collector's item. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.