OLD SCHOOL DISCONTINUED!?!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Voltor07 wrote:....probably 5000 or so DX-7's, maybe more...
160,000 DX7s were produced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DX7

regarding the OS, mine was delivered last October direct to my dealer from the factory...#243. I'm guessing there will be 500 or fewer total when production ceases.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Well, that's a wee bit more than I expected! Wow! :shock: And even fewer OS's than expected.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:03 pm

my moog OS is being drop shipped direct from moog as we speak, so i should have a good serial number to see where they are at in production. add a couple hundred to that, and it should give us a clue as to how many were made.

it is scheduled to be here next week (feb 4th), i will post the serial number then.

tompisa

Post by tompisa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:03 pm

I ought mine, last wekk and the Serial Number is 085 ;-)

So I don´t think that they are be shipped directly number after number

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm

tompisa wrote:I ought mine, last wekk and the Serial Number is 085 ;-)

So I don´t think that they are be shipped directly number after number
did it ship directly from moog or from a retailer? i ask because i bought mine from nova music but it left directly from moog's factory.

just curious......thats a pretty low serial number. we know they at least made a couple of hundred of them.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:51 pm

I managed to get just enough money to buy a Voyager in January '08, and when I finally figured out which select series combo I liked, Moog announced the Old School. I was amazed. The timing couldn't have been better! As much as I liked the Voyager, the digital display annoyed me. It always showed the values of whatever knob I was turning, and that seriously irked me when programming patches. Anyway, I finally got my Voyager right when Novamusik started selling them in April, somehow, I got #0005. It still works and doesn't cease to impress me. After all, it is my first Moog synth.

As for how many Old Schools are out there, I asked moog around the 15th of last month, and they said "about 300"

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 am

I finally got my Old School on the first of February 2009! The store had only the demo unit left after I bought mine. So I guess they're going fast, well at least in Montreal.

What a beauty! Even people who don't have a clue as to what a Moog synth is, all say it's gorgeous when they see a picture of it. But I do know what a Moog is, since I've wanted a Moog Modular one almost all of my life but could never afford one. In the past I've had a Realistic MG-1 for many years, and enjoyed every minute of it.

As soon as I've played on one (voyager OS) at my friend's house, I knew I had to get one also! I felt immediately comfortable tweaking it. It was like meeting an old friend after many years!

In recent years, I was trying to find an alternative (a less expensive one at that) to a real analog synth. I have an Alesis Ion, which closely emulates the Moog Ladder Filter quite nicely, a Novation Nova which also sounds very nice. But the truth is, NOTHING can faithfully reproduce all the intricacies and slight random variations in pitch, timbre, and time that an real analog synth can display.

I don't need the OS to have MIDI, or memory, or menus. I've got that with my VA's. The MiniMoog Voyager Old School is made to play it, and tweak it, period!

I just hope everyone who want one will be able to get their hands on it before they're all gone! Mine is serial #0087.

BTW, the OS cost me more than double what I paid for the Ion and Nova together, but I don't care!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:02 am

Jrayk Roze wrote: As much as I liked the Voyager, the digital display annoyed me. It always showed the values of whatever knob I was turning, and that seriously irked me when programming patches.
What's wrong with showing the values?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 pm

alainhubert wrote:I finally got my Old School on the first of February 2009! The store had only the demo unit left after I bought mine. So I guess they're going fast, well at least in Montreal.
mine is due for delivery today! hopefully they packed it better than when they shipped my LP........they just slapped a shipping sticker on the moog box and shipped it. :roll:

amazingly it survived the journey only protected by the two stryofoam ends and a very thin display box. i think there must be some moog fans that work at UPS.

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 am

lanxe wrote: mine is due for delivery today!
Keep us posted about it!

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 am

MarkM wrote:
Jrayk Roze wrote: As much as I liked the Voyager, the digital display annoyed me. It always showed the values of whatever knob I was turning, and that seriously irked me when programming patches.
What's wrong with showing the values?
I would turn an osc frequency knob, and it looked fine to me, but it read would read it as 1, when I wanted it to be 0. It's kind of a personal OCD thing. I like just using my ears and eyes to judge the position of the knobs.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:34 am

Plus 1 on the personal OCD thing. But you know, as long as they are in tune I don't really care if its a mm off. I think thats part of the nature of analogue and im sure that in an update sometime..with the right inkling to do such...that mathmatically it could be fixed.

Just attenuate the value perhaps. I think it would be a low priority thing.

My first voyager was spot on both oscs.

My select is not so much.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 am

The value of values is not the value worth paying for to show the values. Give me Old School or give me death! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:26 am

alainhubert wrote:
lanxe wrote: mine is due for delivery today!
Keep us posted about it!
Got it last night (SN: OS0109) :D

i only had about 30 minutes to actually play with it, but i must say i am very impressed. its a different world from the little phatty.....i expected some differences in the way they play, but it was more than i expected. i think there is room in my studio for both!

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Received an official e-mail from Heidi Bucher of Moog Music today, after I have asked them how many OS were made. Here's a copy:

Hi Alain,
We have announced that we are only building 200 more. There is no exact number at this time, but it's going to be a total run of about 400. Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Heidi Bucher
Office Manager
Moog Music Inc.

It's definitly less than I expected. But that's a good thing in a way.