Select Series Electric Blue cosmetic suggestion

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EricK

Select Series Electric Blue cosmetic suggestion

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Friends,
In the dark, when the panel lights shine brightly, its very great to see the panel markings, and the values of the knob display digitally, but its impossible to see exactly where the knob is pointed, even with the lights, because the dots on the knobs aren't lit.

So I suggest Tritium lamps in the pots to so the pointer dots are illuminated.

This is basically the same lamps used in night sights for firearms. Tritium is a radioactive compound with a halflife of about 6 years. So after 12 years we would have to replace all the knobs or have the tritium lamps replaced.

Or perhaps a good alternative to this would be a light gathering fiber optic material used instea of the tritium lamps.

The examples I thought of came strictly from firearms sights.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I like lights! One cannot have enough multi-colored lights! What a great idea! Or, how about LP-style indicator lights? Could get messy with all those knobs, though. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:01 am

Nice idea Eric, but a couple of things:

1) half life of Tritium is about 12 years, so it would actually last about 25 years

2) the stuff costs about $10,000/gram or more

I am happy using my gooseneck LittleLite.....!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:11 am

Fiber optic strands would work as well. There'd be a small LED on the panel under the knobwith a fiber optic strand reaching up to the knob position indicator. Or, simply LED's and a pinhole in the knob. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 am

Right about the halflife, i misread.

I have some in my Glock, the sights cost about 100 bucks. I think even the trace amount in my lamps woudl be sufficient for a pot, though probably not for Moog.

THe fibre optic route woudl be better.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.