Vermona PH-16 Analog Phaser vs the MF-103 for the Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mayidunk

Vermona PH-16 Analog Phaser vs the MF-103 for the Voyager

Post by mayidunk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:21 am

I am a big fan of evolving drones, and I want to add a phase shifter to the arsenal, and am having fits trying to choose between the Vermona PH-16 Analog Phaser and the MF-103.

I like the Vermona as it processes stereo ins and outs, looks to have more flexible controls, has an LFO, an envelope follower, and CV ins. However, the MF-103 is supposed to be really, really deep, has more CV control options, and... it's a Moog! :D

One of the things I think is a big plus for the Vermona is that since it accepts stereo ins, I can get the phasing interactions of the sounds from the Moog filters to interact with, and add to, the phasing interactions in the Vermona. That right there is enough to sell me, if in fact that would be the case.

Could any of you provide some info that might help me to make a more informed choice?

Thanks.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 am

The MF-103 emulates stereo pretty good...but you need two amps, or two channels and two speakers to get it. Which can be a PITA to set up. IMHO, I prefer the 103. It also has an LFO...the amount of which can be set to Stun or Kill...like in Star Trek. If that makes a difference to you, as it did me. :lol:

Also, the 103 can switch between 6 and 12 stage phasing. I'm not sure if the Vermona does that, but it's a useful feature.

It gives you control of the sweep, resonance, rate, and amount via CV. It also has an LFO Out jack.

Also, the enclosed instruction book gives you basic patches that will help you get that INSTANT GRATIFICATION Moog is known for. Good luck, I hope this gives you a better idea.

I wish I could do a side by side comparison, but I don't know anything about the Vermona. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:57 am

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:40 pm

The 103 may not be true stereo, but it does offer two completely different sounding phaser simutaneously! From what I've read I don't think the vermona can go as slow or fast as the lfo on the 103. So my solution... buy them both :D

till

Post by till » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:10 am

Phaser are not sounding like phasers all the time. Some are more subtile in the sound. Some add more coloration then others.

The Moog phasers got a more strong and bold sound.
The Vermona got a more light sound.
The EH Small Stone got a very bass reducing pleasant Jarre sound.
The Schulte Compact Phaser from the seventies got a very heavy nearly feedback like sound that is close to a modulated distortion on some settings.

I would recommend to hear a phase before buying it. It is a matter of sound character and taste, more then features. And doing a true stereo phasing might be too much in a non solo track.

I own the Moogefooger and several revisions of the EH Small Stone. And sometimes I use this, sometime that phaser for special job. The Moog one is to strong for string machines. But ideal for a good solo.
But I rarely use the 12-pole option of the Moogefooger. It does sound not that good to me. Something sounds like being stepped or somewhat delayed to me. I heard other user complaining about the same thing here in this forum. I don't know what causes this, but you can hear it at least on some units, maybe all of them.

The Schulte phaser is in combination with a Mellotron, Memotron or sampler ideal to get the Berlin School like sound of the seventies.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for all of the great information!

I checked out Mode Zero, and they have quite a bit of information about the Vermona, and about phasers and flangers in general. Thanks, latigid on!

Colorform, I would consider buying both... but I had to chop down the money tree to keep the fire going in the hearth! (Dammit, I should've just burnt the money and kept the tree!!) :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 103, Voltor, I do like the CV controls on the 103, and that might be what sways me in the end, that and the sale in February. To be honest, it isn't the killer stun sounds I'm after, but the subtle little quirks in the sound that happen as the sounds are phasing against one another. However, that don't mean I won't ever set the phaser past stun from time to time!

Till, it sounds like you've played with the Vermona. Do you own one? Also, thanks for sharing about the 12-pole issues with the 103. Is that an actual problem, or is it just one of those things you have to live with because of the basic design?

Thanks guys!

HB3

Post by HB3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm looking for super-swooshy, over-the-top, practically-white-noise type phase effects. Will the 103 do that?

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:51 pm

HB3 wrote:I'm looking for super-swooshy, over-the-top, practically-white-noise type phase effects. Will the 103 do that?
yeah if you set the resonance up all the way, and put the sweep between one andfour and the amount to kill it almost over powers the intial sound

HB3

Post by HB3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:02 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:it almost over powers the intial sound
yeah, that's what I'm looking for....

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 am

mayidunk wrote: Also, thanks for sharing about the 12-pole issues with the 103. Is that an actual problem, or is it just one of those things you have to live with because of the basic design?

Thanks guys!
You are quite welcome! I can't say I have noticed the 12-pole issues, then again, I wouldn't know an issue if it bit me. I can say I love the 103's range of effects as well as stand alone sounds. Mine is almost always set to 12 stage and kill, with the other controls varying, but that's just me. I like lots of color in my music and effects...real sci-fi like. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Neekau

Post by Neekau » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:30 am

mayidunk wrote:Also, thanks for sharing about the 12-pole issues with the 103. Is that an actual problem, or is it just one of those things you have to live with because of the basic design?

Thanks guys!
It is not really an issue. Basically, from what I understood, the serial path of the 12 stages is long enough so you can hear the last stages which arrive a little after the first ones... I was worried about this when I bought my first 2nd hand MF-103, but now I own 2 of them :wink:
"There's something wrong about this world in which Clouds sells 5x more than Tides." O.Gillet

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Neekau wrote:
mayidunk wrote:Also, thanks for sharing about the 12-pole issues with the 103. Is that an actual problem, or is it just one of those things you have to live with because of the basic design?

Thanks guys!
It is not really an issue. Basically, from what I understood, the serial path of the 12 stages is long enough so you can hear the last stages which arrive a little after the first ones... I was worried about this when I bought my first 2nd hand MF-103, but now I own 2 of them :wink:
Oh, yeah! That echoey wind-sounding thing, right? I LOVE that sound! :mrgreen: