Voyager After-pressure Control

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mrhuge

Voyager After-pressure Control

Post by mrhuge » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Voyager Voyagers! :)

Please answer is Voyager After-pressure Control set on new Voyagers by default? Or I have to buy it even if I buy a new Voayger?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:58 pm

i have a voyager old school....pressure aftertouch can be selected as one controller option from either or both modulation busses. and the amount of modulation that the aftertouch controls is adjustable via the 'amount' knob. so you can turn it off completely, or if you activate it, you can adjust the amount from very slight to way-out-wacky

mrhuge

Post by mrhuge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 am

Acorkos! Is that what you desribed similar to this product?

http://www.moogmusic.com/voyager/?secti ... t_id=21264

till

Post by till » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:54 pm

mrhuge,

this after-pressure Field Upgrade is only a modification to improve the response curve of older Voyagers that were build some years ago. This is not needed for a newer Voyagers.

And the after-touch is always there ready to be used in the mod matrix. Just like velocity is there and waiting to be assigned to some modulation parameter.
Most factors sounds do not use after touch (or after pressure in Moog's vocabulary) at all. But fee l free to explore those thousands of possibilities you get with the two modulation busses of the Voyager.

But be prepare to take some time to understand the modulation possibilities in detail. But it is worth the effort. You will get some very modular synth like things not available on most other analog synths.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

mrhuge

Post by mrhuge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Till thank you for detailed answer! Sounds intriguing :)

So these things that you described including two modulation busses are available in new voyagers by default?

till

Post by till » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Yes !

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

mrhuge

Post by mrhuge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Great! You saved my 135 dollars :)

Interesting that managers in Moogmusic could not answer this question. They said that there is Aftertouch but what concrete they didnt know :)

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:07 am

I personally don't notice further modulation with after pressure assigned to the shaping in the mod busses of my RME. Is it possible that I need to change some MIDI settings?

till

Post by till » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:34 am

Maybe you sending midi keyboard does not offer after touch. Or after touch data is filtered by the software you use.
It is working for sure on the Voyager and RME.
Or you set up a modulation that is not strong enough in amount to be heard well. Use max modulation amount and try it again.

Sequence:

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:44 am

Hmm, I cannot test this for a few hours...so I'll let you know how it goes. I use a Virus TI for a controller, so aftertouch is definitely working from that end.

I did try using a max modulation (both busses) and didn't hear anything.

I have been using Pro Tools for a sequencer (kill me please), so I'm guessing that is where the problem is...as it always messes something up.

Also, while looking up MIDI stuff in the RME manual, I noticed some "local control" options that I have not seen on other synths. So I can mess about with these after I look in Pro Tools preferences.

I also need to figure out why when I record knob movements in MIDI track...it plays back super stepped sounding. Not smooth at all. Odd.

till

Post by till » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:06 pm

After touch receiving is not a local control until you use the keyboard of a Voyager. Does not apply to the RME. This setting is about SENDING data through the Moog's midi out.

You use a Virus TI? I think you use a Virus TI KEYBOARD. The desktop version is not sending after touch at all.
I also need to figure out why when I record knob movements in MIDI track...it plays back super stepped sounding. Not smooth at all. Odd.
Maybe there is a midi loop going on.
And you may have the modwheel set to 7 bit data only.
The Voyager is not smoothing incoming controller data. And controller data is typical 7 bit (max 128 values per parameter). Using more then 7 bit would need NRPN controllers.

Sequence:

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:00 pm

till wrote:After touch receiving is not a local control until you use the keyboard of a Voyager. Does not apply to the RME. This setting is about SENDING data through the Moog's midi out.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the local stuff (on the voyagers end) wouldn't affect aftertouch, but was thinking a setting here may be affecting the knob/cc data thing I was talking about.
till wrote:I think you use a Virus TI KEYBOARD.
You are very correct that I am using the Virus TI keyboard.

I certainly have never looked at any local settings on a rackmount synth (this is my first rackmount synth), as I've only used local on and off with devices that have keys...hence my confusion as to how this works. I was surprised to see any local options on a rackmount unit, in all honesty.

No synth I have owned offered various local options either, just the usual disconnecting of keys from internal sound engine.
till wrote:Maybe there is a midi loop going on. And you may have the modwheel set to 7 bit data only. The Voyager is not smoothing incoming controller data. And controller data is typical 7 bit (max 128 values per parameter). Using more then 7 bit would need NRPN controllers.
Certainly possible. The modwheel works and the shaping all controls seem to work on both mod busses, other than "pressure."

I'll mess around with some stuff in a bit and see how it goes. Thanks again! :)