Using Futureretro XS with Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:13 am

I have a FR XS and I must second Amos. DO IT. Seriously. The semi-modular nature of the XS is a great addition to my MF rig. Perhaps not the greatest thing to say here, but I like the bass better on the FR XS better than most of the basses on the Little Phatty. It is just an awesome piece of equipment.
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 pm

r05c03 - dude we have like the same gear list... I also have LP, XS, and a microQ! My u-Q is the yellow rack version.

You're not into industrial music by chance, are you?

My stuff tends to run a range betweem ambient/experimental, industrial, and psy/goa... I've found these synths to be perfect for getting the timbres I'm looking for.

As far as LP vs XS for bass, I am still figuring out what I like best. After programming literally hundreds of patches for the LP, I know it well enough that I can dial in any sound it can make, so it is still my go-to bass machine, where I've been using the XS more for leads and percussion. As I get deeper into the XS though, I am finding some killer bass sounds... part of it is the mutiple envelope types; they let you get some really tight and punchy basses that sit differently in the mix than what I tend to get out of the Phatty.

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Yeah Cool. I was into some industrial back in the day. Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Legendary Pink Dots, Clock DVA, estreinde neubauten. Stuff like that. I have really only recently delved into synth and I am more of a programmer than a keyboarder.....I am a bass player by trade but my more basses have been neglected as of late in favor of the synth stuff. It is very fun and engaging. It has been difficult for me to put together anything that does not sound like Industrial....and I am trying to just find stuff that sound good to me and is fun to make.

Yeah the second envelop can really make the bass "pop" to the front especially if you increase the LPFCO at the same time. It gets fun-kay. I hardly use the MicroQ (yellow faced addition too!). I really like analog stuff, mostly because it limits your choices and so much of the stuff is just there, immediately accessible, visible. I do not like hidden menus so much (the LP is tolerable from that stand point, but the MicroQ just has enough choices and hidden options (I simply had to give up the the DSI Evolver for that reason) ... I like seeing all those knob and cables so the more hidden stuff is, the less use it gets. That is why I love the XS, all knobs. Invisible routing just does not do it for me....maybe I am slow....but I like physical connections....

I now return you the regularly scheduled thread about the XS....

Get the XS!

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Do you guys think I will get pretty good use out of this set up without any Moogerfoogers, as I don't own any.

This is kinda my first dive into (semi) modular synthesis, so I'm a little worried about shellin' out the cash and not getting enough use out of it.

That being said, it does sound like I would get a lot out of this set up and I think I would get some diverse sounds (frequency and timbre wise) between the Moog, XS, and Virus. If that doesn't set me free, I don't know what will. :lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:27 am

LeRoi wrote:Do you guys think I will get pretty good use out of this set up without any Moogerfoogers, as I don't own any.

This is kinda my first dive into (semi) modular synthesis, so I'm a little worried about shellin' out the cash and not getting enough use out of it.

That being said, it does sound like I would get a lot out of this set up and I think I would get some diverse sounds (frequency and timbre wise) between the Moog, XS, and Virus. If that doesn't set me free, I don't know what will. :lol:
In a couple of months, you'll be buying 'Foogers...I always said "I ain't spending that! I just bought a $1249 synth, an amp, and a stand!" Well after a couple months, I bought a Phaser. Just for the Stun and Kill labeling, actually. I'm weird like that.

Then I realized I wanted an extra oscillator. I compared the 102 with the 107, and since the 102 was in the store, I bought it, and never looked back! Then I thought, "I wanna go modular, but I have no room for one. The CP-251 looks nice, but it's too expensive." Then I learned about the Grammy sale in February. Well, my birthday's the 16th, so I had some extra money, and with the thirty dollar rebate looking at me, I bought a CP 251.

In short, you may regret buying the XS, but you'll regret it even MORE if you don't. I still regret not buying the Micromoog I could have. :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 am

Well, I would certainly think that the XS would be a nice addition, even if you do not have any Moogerfoogers. Does the RME have many modulation ins/outs or do you have 351? If so you will really be able to capitalize off the semi-modularity of the XS. If not, the XS is still a beast of a synth.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:35 am

Man the XS looks pretty sweet. Judging from its description it is capable of some nifty tricks.

It would look sweet racked with an RME lol. Thats another 46 knobs to tweak.

Basically I guess youd just have to go play one if you haven't already and see if you like the sound.

I assume that youll be using the voyagers keys to trigger it? I do'nt really know how it works.

I think anything like that will surely compliment the Voyager nicely, although some of the sounds that were on the demos sounded somewhat generic...but hey, Im really biased here. If its not a Moog its simply not a Moog lol.

Im sure youll have a load-o-funs with that setup. I think youlll get polyphony when you hook them up midi style.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:48 pm

I hate being a synthesizer psychopath!

Ok, so I realized I wouldn't stop being obsessed with the Prophet unless I got to play it. I got a crazy crackhead deal on one and tried it out. It was the most bittersweet experience I've had in some time. It sounded absolutely brilliant!

But...it was also the crappiest "feeling" piece of gear I've ever played. No joke. Moog has spoiled me by proving that gear, can in fact, still feel nice. Thus, Prophet 08 (module) has been sent back

Anyhoo, I will be picking up the XS as soon as I can get this Juno 60 and Akai AX60 out of my hands. I'm soooooooo stoked. I have rearranged my little studio to get ready for it already. YAY!

Thanks for all the help kids!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:12 pm

LeRoi wrote:I hate being a synthesizer psychopath!
Why? Sure it's expensive, but with every additional synth, you're one step closer to world domination! :twisted:

Maybe not, but it sure feels like it when you're plugging in patch cords and getting really bizarre sounds out of whatever speaker you happen to be using, and your eyes are following the flickering lights; watching them go from green to amber to red, and you're ears are spinning with every key pressed...it's a beautiful thing...until the credit card bill comes. :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Why? Sure it's expensive, but with every additional synth, you're one step closer to world domination! :twisted:
Your reply just gave me that feeling that I'm not alone in the world in this sickness!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:22 pm

LeRoi wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Your reply just gave me that feeling that I'm not alone in the world in this sickness!
Of course not! We're all in this together...that's why we're here. :wink:

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:35 am

LeRoi, I know what you mean about build quality. I think you'll agree when you get your XS; it has Nice Gear Feel. Metal chassis, panel-mounted pots that turn smoothly and feel right... good stuff. I also think this is an important consideration, and I'm glad when folks get it right.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:16 am

YAY! Can't wait! Hopefully I can order it next week, if all goes well! :)

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 am

I use an XS with a Little Phatty, and I find the two complement each other very well. I often find myself utrning the pair into a four-and-half-oscillator monosynth, or I patch the Filter Out jack from the XS into the LP's inputs.

I would imagine that pairing a Voyager with an XS would be a full order of magnitude even more rewarding.... so yes, do it. Do it long, do it hard. Do it now. :lol:

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 pm

WOOHOO! Ordered my XS yesterday! It will be a few weeks before it gets here, as Future Retro has to build more units. Soooo stoked! :)