MFB-step64 sequencer

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rossf

MFB-step64 sequencer

Post by rossf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:52 pm

has anyone out there used a MFB step-64 hardware sequencer with a voyager (I've got an oldschool model). Would anyone care to share they're thoughts on this machine in terms of reliability and ease of programming. The amount of CV outs is intriguing and could offer a lot of control over automating parameters as well as notes. Thanks

acorkos

Re: MFB-step64 sequencer

Post by acorkos » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm

rossf wrote:has anyone out there used a MFB step-64 hardware sequencer with a voyager (I've got an oldschool model). Would anyone care to share they're thoughts on this machine in terms of reliability and ease of programming.
anyone?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:37 pm

my step64 sequencer arrived today. looking forward to fooling around with it and my voyager old school this weekend. it should be interesting....the manual looks to be written by a non-english speaker, and the color codes on the cables are different than those described in the manual...hmmmmmm??

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 pm

i too want to know about how it goes i have an old school as well and really want to get a sequencer to go with it

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:14 pm

well....it works great. really a good match for the old school.

but mine is defective....it won't allow me to save any changes to the factory presets. like the REC button is busted. darn.

however, it does let me make changes, so i have been having a lot of fun fooling around with it. there's a gate out and in 16-step mode, there are 4 available CV outs that easily find their way into the OS's back panel jacks...for example, from the step64, you can the synth's control pitch, volume, filter cutoff and L/R panning

in 32 and 64 step modes, you lose some of the parameter controls. and it'll control multiple synths simultaneously if you want it to.

it's pretty sweet for a small unit (smaller than a fooger)....i just wish mine was working....it'll probably be a couple more months before i get a replacement (working on that now with the dealer and manufacturer)

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm

just a follow up....i was contacted by the manufacturer who suggested that the RECORD button may have been incompletely soldered to the PCB. I opened up the unit and, in fact, 2 solder pads at the REC button were unsoldered. Got 'em soldered and all is working well.

now that it's working and i can store up to 64-note sequences (and group up to 16 sequences into songs), i fear my free time will be gobbled up by this little black box and its teeny pushbuttons and knobs (it sure is fun, though).

here's the manual, in case anyone's interested.....
http://www.mfberlin.de/Manual/Manual_e/step64_be.pdf

if i get adventurous, i may post a video of what this thing can do, featuring my voyager OS (voltor07 has no problem being in front of a camera, but i'm a little shy)

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 am

I have not done any research on cv step sequencers. Can anybody throw a few names out...maybe in order of cheap to expensive that I can research. I don't have time for a 16 hour journey of knowledge right now.
Thanks!

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:43 am

wooperman wrote:I have not done any research on cv step sequencers. Can anybody throw a few names out...maybe in order of cheap to expensive that I can research. I don't have time for a 16 hour journey of knowledge right now.
Thanks!
Just try the following page : http://www.sequencer.de/synth/index.php/Sequencer

Some stuff is in german...but it will give you some idea about what types of sequencers are available.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks. After going there Even though Iwas asking for cv sequencers, I remembered, nothing beats the MMT-8 in cost and simplicity. I have cv midi converter so I will stop looking for more things to buy with money i dont have.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 pm

acorkos wrote:(voltor07 has no problem being in front of a camera, but i'm a little shy)
You could always do the Daft Punk robot mask thing. :lol: Or, picture the audience naked...no, that doesn't actually work. It gives you disturbing images. :shock: You could keep your back to the camera, or put an annotation over your head...but then people could turn off annotations and still see you. Or, you could send ME your OS, and I'LL make the video! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

spittingoutteeth

Post by spittingoutteeth » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 am

acorkos, are still enjoying the Step64? I was thinking about buying one soon but haven't heard too many reviews.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:29 am

yup

PM me and i'll give you more details if you want

griffin avid

Post by griffin avid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:24 pm

...in front of a camera, but i'm a little shy...

Do what's best and put the camera ON THE GEAR.
All we need to see are your hands....

No intro...no outro..
no packaging/unwrapping/connecting cuts...
no pets...
no girlfriend (unless she's hot and scantily clad)..
no goofy friends loitering around your studio....

!

and get to work; I'm curious about this piece too...:)

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:22 pm

please, do a video, this looks like the next purchase for my Old School
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X