performer vs anniversary vs signature....?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
gerry

performer vs anniversary vs signature....?

Post by gerry » Sat May 22, 2004 11:01 pm

are the differences just cosmetic, or do they sound different from one another?

monads

Post by monads » Sun May 23, 2004 1:46 am

cosmetic. But if you really want to be nit picky, because of analog circuitry, no two machines sound EXACTLY alike :)

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sun May 23, 2004 2:41 pm

Wait the anniversary does have that extra pot...

That "special" extra pot...

mee3d

Pot Map the Brightness Knob?

Post by mee3d » Mon May 31, 2004 2:54 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to "Pot Map" the Anniversary editions extra Brightness knob?

Could be used as an additional hands-on controller

Mal

monads

Post by monads » Mon May 31, 2004 11:56 pm

I don't think so. I mean you probably could via the software w/an option to disable the brightness adjustment thereby giving you a free pot to assign to whatever it is you want to control. But it's not possible now.

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:24 am

I think you'll find that the AE Panel Brightness Knob is a dedicated (i.e. hardwired) control.

If there is any spare capacity in the A/D-D/A circuitry then it would theoretically be possible to integrate this 'extra' control into the Front Panel schema in the software - but this would require additional software (conditional checks, and processing) to then differentiate between AE and non-AE MMV units and provide knob processing facilities as required.

The MMV hardware/software 'model' has, no doubt, given Moog something to ponder on with regard to new keyboard products. Lessons to be learned perhaps, but everyone will benefit from this process with the next synth offering.

My estimation would be that AE owners have a Panel Backlight Brightness control - and that is it.

KevB
Last edited by Kevin Bowden on Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:52 am

Kevin

My guess is that the brightness pot goes to a seperate "lighting" PCB board via flying leads and is not connected to any of the main boards . . . . as this is a retrofit.

Personally I think the extra pot on the AE looks ugly, perched on the end of the keyboard . . . and using a non-standard sub-sized knob (it's actually quite close to the end cheak and diffecult to turn without getting your fingers jammed), it looks like a home modification to me . . . like my Rivera modified Minimoog D (which I am about to Unmodify!).

Wouldn't it have been cleaner to put it on top of the panel next to the BNC connector?

Mal

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:57 am

The back light control (given that they made it variable) had to go somewhere - put it next to the Light BNC then it's a "special" on the case drilling (i.e. hole required only on AE versions - or needs to be blocked-off on all non-AE models).

At the moment the metal casing seems to be standard across all MMV versions but the woodwork is variable between versions (besides which the woodwork is more 'aligned' to the "hands-on" part of the manufacturing process).

Hindsight from those of us who don't have any actual involvement in the manufacturing/design process can be wonderful, can't it.

The control of the Panel Backlight could have been made a menu option (like LCD contrast) and 5 real-time control knobs (albeit for skinny fingers) could have been incorporated into the right hand keyboard end-piece.

KevB
Last edited by Kevin Bowden on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:37 pm

Kevin

i understand your point but I reckon the panel casework must have been moded to get the luminance to work through the front fascia (?) . . . if you are going to go to that trouble in re-manufacturing, surely one drill hole aint going to make much difference?

Still looks like a home brew mod to me . . . a trim pot would have been cleaner . . . or take a leaf out of apples design books and have a small glowing, breathing touch plate . . . the longer you leave your finger on it the brighter the panel glows.

Mal

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:07 pm

OK - I guess the control might have been put where it was based upon some perverse 'performance control' concept.

Some 'key player' (pardon the pun) might have suggested that it would be a really good thing to be able to manually control the panel brightness during a performance (to hopefully distract attention from the bad playing perhaps !).

Perhaps not though.

I think the backlight control positioning probably came from somewhere within Moog - unfortunately the person that suggested it (and those that passed it through to design) were not performance musicians, or this wasn't a concern.

Any area near/adjacent to the keyboard should be dedicated to real-time performance controls.

Lot's more could be discussed, but.....

KevB

goldphinga

voyager light control

Post by goldphinga » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:32 am

the light control is placed perfectly if u ask me. it doesn't look ugly, it functions well and its position means moog didn't have to alter the case metalwork. they couldn't have done it any better. purists may differ but i want the voyager to sound and look great and it does both better than any other monosynth ever made.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

goldphinga

voyager light control

Post by goldphinga » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:33 am

the light control is placed perfectly if u ask me. it doesn't look ugly, it functions well and its position means moog didn't have to alter the case metalwork. they couldn't have done it any better. purists may differ but i want the voyager to sound and look great and it does both better than any other monosynth ever made.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

goldphinga

voyager light control

Post by goldphinga » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:34 am

MC

Post by MC » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:26 am

We apologize for the repetition in this forum.

MC

Post by MC » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:26 am

We apologize for the repetition in this forum.