Oscillator 2 dead on RME

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
chombymook

Oscillator 2 dead on RME

Post by chombymook » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Oh no...

Oscillator 2 is completely silent on my RME. Its turned on and set to 10 on the mixer.

I can't hear it from the main out or from the pre-filter 'mixer out'.

Changing 1->2 sync makes no difference. Modulating osc2 makes no difference, nor does changing it's entire range. Osc1+3 and everything else sound absolutely fine.

I have a VX351+352 but it makes no difference if these are connected or not.

I'm completely open to suggestions here that make me look dumb because I'm all out of ideas....

Steve

chombymook

Post by chombymook » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Also just tried sending the osc mixer levels via midi. Osc1+3 responding fine. 2 still dead.

I disconnected all midi and audio cables, no osc2 through headphones or from a single mono out, balanced or unbalanced.

I've run out of ideas.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Try using osc2 as a mod source on filter cutoff.

If you hear modulation, then osc2 is living and breathing but something is out in the audio chain.

chombymook

Post by chombymook » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Aha, good call... yes its working as a mod source.

So I've set PGM pedal source to osc2, destination filter. If I have all oscillators turned off but turn the amount up I can hear a tone... is this the filter making that noise? Is the high freq of modulation making it self oscillate somehow?

chombymook

Post by chombymook » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Hmm.. but anyway it does seem like something is wrong with the signal path for oscillator 2... and early on in the path. Damn... better find out who services Voyagers in the UK :(

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:35 am

Make sure you don't have anything set to the mixer amount for Osc2 if you are using any kind of Midi controller or pot mapping (if you can even choose that destination as an option) and also make sure that you aren't doing such Pulse Width modulation that will cancel out that volume level.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

chombymook

Post by chombymook » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Yeah thanks EricK but unfortunately I tried both those things with no luck.

It's gone off to UK service center now, sob.. at least it was an excuse to get the v3.0 upgrade at the same time. which will soften the blow a little!