Touch Surface Memory Problems w/Filter Res.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
monads

Post by monads » Tue May 11, 2004 3:26 am

Is anyone having problems with with this? In the Edit menu 5.3 T.S Memory Global I have it as Yes to remember the last value of X/Y coordinates. But it doesn't seem to work for specific destinations, i.e Filter Res. It returns to the stored value.

Note: Filter Res. appears to be the only issue here. I tried other Destinations (for the X coordinate) and they work, w/memory holding the last contact value made via T.S. Whats the issue with Filter Res?

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Thu May 13, 2004 2:37 pm

I tried it on my Voyager (OS 2.1):
If you set the "T.S. Mem Global" (5.3) to "yes", filters resonance works well on the touch plate's x and y axis after you lift your fingers, if you set the "T.S. Mem Global" (5.3) to "yes". Maybe you also used A (=T.S. Area) to modulate the resonance. There is no parameter yet to tell the Voyager to keep the A value if you lift the fingers.

Therefor I think you did something wrong, or your Voyager need some technical checking.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

monads

Post by monads » Thu May 13, 2004 4:46 pm

Thanks Qwave for some support. Maybe there is something wrong with my unit then. When programming sounds from scratch, I use a default patch setup with the Touch Surface disabled. I then program what I want on the XYA parameters. I know the memory doesn't work for "A", Area. When I have 5.3 set to "Yes" and Filter Resonance as a destination for X the Touch surface does not hold the memory when I lift my finger off the controller (I did not try for Y). All other destinations seem to work fine. I'm on OS 2.1 so I don't understand what's going on with my setup.

monads

Post by monads » Thu May 13, 2004 9:41 pm

I just tried reloading OS 2.1, initialized everything and still no dice :(

RL

Post by RL » Wed May 19, 2004 4:41 am

The touch surface memory function makes no sense for the "A" direction because you get always the lowest value when you remove your fingers from the touch surface. That means the touch surface "A" value always replaces the destination value after removing your fingers even the amount value is OFF. If you select the resonance for the "X" destination and for the "A" destination you will get a conflict. Please use a different destination for "A" e.g. external input to fix this problem. I hope my explanation is clear enaugh :?

monads

Post by monads » Wed May 19, 2004 11:10 am

RL, I'm confused a bit by your post. Forget about "A" for the moment. I turned it and "Y" off. All I have enabled for the T.S. settings are "X" with a destination of Filter Resonance. The touch surface should retain the last value when I lift my finger with T.S. memory on. But it doesn't (only for filter resonance, all other destinations appear to work fine). I emailed tech but they haven't gotten to it yet. And so far only 1 person (hard to believe w/all the voyagers out there) has even tried this?

RL

Post by RL » Wed May 19, 2004 12:49 pm

Hi monads,
what is the destination for touch surface "A" (I know it's OFF)?

monads

Post by monads » Wed May 19, 2004 10:58 pm

It is Filter Resonance. You think it makes a difference if it's off. Hmm.

monads

Post by monads » Wed May 19, 2004 11:09 pm

You figured it out!!! :o I just tried it. I changed "A" to another destination other than the default filter resonance, "Fil KB CTRL" for example. Now with "X" set to Filter Res the touch surface retains the value! :D Very odd given the fact it shouldn't even matter since "A" is off.

Really thanks for your help man. I think it should be documented and fixed in the next OS update. Minor issue, but it was driving me nuts. If you weren't 'out in the fields' I'd buy you a beer (or soda pop whatever you drink).

RL

Post by RL » Thu May 20, 2004 4:49 am

>> If you weren't 'out in the fields' I'd buy you a beer (or soda pop whatever you drink). <<
Coffee would be fine :)

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:45 am

Ok guys, one more for you. Since I loaded 2.1, the TS leaves unexpected changes to my presets. For example: on a patch where I had not programmed anything for the TS, now when I hit it, at first it still does nothing, but when I let it go, it makes the preset go wonky. As long as I touch the TS, the preset sounds ok, but when I let go, its just bunk, and the same way each time (not a TS memory issue... I tried resaving as NO, nada.) I'm wondering if I should reinitialise it in the 'copyright' menu and reload the patches.

Kelly.

RL

Post by RL » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:17 am

Hi Kelly,
a reset for the T.S. XYA destinations and for the ENV gates should help.
RL