Blank Screen on Start Up after OS update ! Help !

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
inducer

Blank Screen on Start Up after OS update ! Help !

Post by inducer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 am

While doing ten different things at once and updating my Voyager, I may have missing putting in Bank B340.synx. Not too smart, I know. Now I get a blank screen after start up. Sometime it will say "Moog Voyager" for a second and then go blank.

I can not navigate the menus to reinstall the OS. Is there a trick like holding down a button on start up that I can do to get a basic system back up and running?

RL

Re: Blank Screen on Start Up after OS update ! Help !

Post by RL » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:53 am

inducer wrote:While doing ten different things at once and updating my Voyager, I may have missing putting in Bank B340.synx. Not too smart, I know. Now I get a blank screen after start up. Sometime it will say "Moog Voyager" for a second and then go blank.

I can not navigate the menus to reinstall the OS. Is there a trick like holding down a button on start up that I can do to get a basic system back up and running?
OK, maybe this will help:
Switch the Voyager on
Press MASTER
Press 5 times the +1 button
Press ENTER
Press the +1 button
Press ENTER
Press CURSOR
Press ENTER

And have fun,
Rudi

inducer

Post by inducer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:09 am

Worked great ! Thanks a ton. I feel strange when my Voyager is not working.

h4nc0

Post by h4nc0 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:31 am

A few days ago, when I was upgrading the OS with the Editorian, something went wrong and I got nothing on the LCD. I thought the Voyager was broken, but I blind-updated with OS v3.4 and it came back. Strange as hell.

till

Post by till » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:54 am

I had no problem. I used the Mac freeware SysEx Librarian for all those SysEx transfers to and from synths. And it never failed me yet.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:11 am

h4nc0 wrote:A few days ago, when I was upgrading the OS with the Editorian, something went wrong and I got nothing on the LCD. I thought the Voyager was broken, but I blind-updated with OS v3.4 and it came back. Strange as hell.

OK, it is my turn.... I used the Editorian and got blank screen. I tried the blind update but looks like my memory failed me and could not remember the right order. Can someone right down the exactly what buttons I need to push and hoe many times? I could do it for the Bank A (rebooted) but after that I could not remember the exact order.
By the way, when I switch on the Voyager, I cannot go to Master directly, I need to hit "enter" and after I can go into Master mode.
Thanks in advance.

RL

Post by RL » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:54 am

brain_11 wrote:
h4nc0 wrote:A few days ago, when I was upgrading the OS with the Editorian, something went wrong and I got nothing on the LCD. I thought the Voyager was broken, but I blind-updated with OS v3.4 and it came back. Strange as hell.

OK, it is my turn.... I used the Editorian and got blank screen. I tried the blind update but looks like my memory failed me and could not remember the right order. Can someone right down the exactly what buttons I need to push and hoe many times? I could do it for the Bank A (rebooted) but after that I could not remember the exact order.
By the way, when I switch on the Voyager, I cannot go to Master directly, I need to hit "enter" and after I can go into Master mode.
Thanks in advance.
That's not so easy when you can't see anything on the screen. I guess the Voyager stays in the boot section.
Try this:
After power on when the MASTER LED comes hit the CURSOR and then ENTER. Now send bank A.
If the screen stays blank switch the Voyager off and on, press CURSOR and ENTER and send bank C.
Do you know the LCD contrast value when your Voyager was running?

h4nc0

Post by h4nc0 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:25 am

Yeah, also do not use OS 3.3. Use 3.4. The OS update in Editorian should be fixed. It asks for wrong order of files and can f**k up the Voyager.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:58 am

RL wrote:
brain_11 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
That's not so easy when you can't see anything on the screen. I guess the Voyager stays in the boot section.
Try this:
After power on when the MASTER LED comes hit the CURSOR and then ENTER. Now send bank A.
If the screen stays blank switch the Voyager off and on, press CURSOR and ENTER and send bank C.
Do you know the LCD contrast value when your Voyager was running?
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. When I power it up the LEDs cycle through MIDI, Master,Edit, Panel, and though I pushed the cursor when it was at the Master then Enter it did not stay in the Master section. (I went through the procedure anyway).
The LCD contrast value was the default, I did not change it (can't remember the value).
It looks to me that the Voyager doesn't stay in the boot section (because the LEDs cycle through). Of course I got no sound coming out from the dead beast....

RL

Post by RL » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:08 am

I made a mistake, sorry!
it should be the Panel LED not the Master LED after power on.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:19 am

RL wrote:
I made a mistake, sorry!
it should be the Panel LED not the Master LED after power on.
Thanks, I tried but nothing happened. I did wait about 1 min after sending the sysex before I rebooted the Voyager (so I didn't interrupt the transfer). I sent the Bank A and C.

RL

Post by RL » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:26 am

brain_11 wrote:Thanks, I tried but nothing happened. I did wait about 1 min after sending the sysex before I rebooted the Voyager (so I didn't interrupt the transfer). I sent the Bank A and C.
OK, then try following:
when the Panel LED is on press the Master button, then ENTER. If this doesn't work the Voyager is in the boot mode and you have to press ENTER. After that it should be possible to enter the Master mode. In the Master mode press ENTER and then try to change the contrast by pressing the +1 button.
Rudi

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:42 am

RL wrote:
brain_11 wrote:Thanks, I tried but nothing happened. I did wait about 1 min after sending the sysex before I rebooted the Voyager (so I didn't interrupt the transfer). I sent the Bank A and C.
OK, then try following:
when the Panel LED is on press the Master button, then ENTER. If this doesn't work the Voyager is in the boot mode and you have to press ENTER. After that it should be possible to enter the Master mode. In the Master mode press ENTER and then try to change the contrast by pressing the +1 button.
Rudi
Thanks Rudi.
It must be in boot mode, because I need to hit Enter to be able to hit the Mater. I followed what you suggested (Enter->Master->Enter->+1) but I couldn't change the contrast of the panel (still blank).

RL

Post by RL » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:31 am

brain_11 wrote: It must be in boot mode, because I need to hit Enter to be able to hit the Mater. I followed what you suggested (Enter->Master->Enter->+1) but I couldn't change the contrast of the panel (still blank).
Sorry, I forgot to tell you you have to hit the +1 button more than one time (in worst case 32 times).

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:52 am

RL wrote:
brain_11 wrote: It must be in boot mode, because I need to hit Enter to be able to hit the Mater. I followed what you suggested (Enter->Master->Enter->+1) but I couldn't change the contrast of the panel (still blank).
Sorry, I forgot to tell you you have to hit the +1 button more than one time (in worst case 32 times).
Indeed, it helped (but I had to push the -1 button several times rather than the +1).

After following the instruction that both the Voyager and the Editorian gave me (Load Bank A, then C and D) I managed to get the same blank screen again... It turned out (thanks Amos) that the order should be B,A,C,D (which is actually written in the pdf, but rather hidden). Can I suggest to highlight and make the users aware that don't follow the on-screen (or Editorian) instruction.
No it works fine, thanks Rudi!