Voyager Old School owners - your reactions?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Hal_McGee

Voyager Old School owners - your reactions?

Post by Hal_McGee » Tue May 06, 2008 7:30 am

We have seen some beautiful photos in another thread of the Voyager Old School in the studios of synthesists who have recently acquired this new classic synth. Now I would like to read some detailed reactions by these OS owners. How does it sound? Any glitches? Any problems? For those of you who have owned the one of the previous Voyager models, how does it compare?
http://www.halmcgee.com
Voyager RME, Rogue, Etherwave Theremin, Octave Cat, Little Boy Blue synth, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-104Z Delay, MF-107 FreqBox

mtmelvin

Post by mtmelvin » Tue May 06, 2008 3:40 pm

I received my Voyager OS last week (SN 0020) and I'd be happy to share my impressions. Right now, I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but my initial reaction is very positive.

Unfortunately, I've never owned or played another Voyager or the original Model D, and I know that the comparison that everyone is wanting to hear. I do have a Prodigy and a Rogue, but I feel that comparing those to the Voyager is kind of silly.

Recently I decided it was finally time to pick up a Minimoog and originally I was planning to get a Model D. I checked ebay and Craigslist and the synth forums and there just aren't a lot being sold these days. And the ones on ebay tend to go for $2500 - $3000 (in good shape). So that was discouraging. At that point I thought maybe I'd look into the new model.

Right about this time they announced the Old School and the timing couldn't have been better. I knew this was the model for me. I've never been a fan of MIDI or presets. I'm glad that they added these features to the Voyager, because I know that a lot of people find them useful. But for me, I just prefer analog control. So I'm very happy that Moog decided to produce this model.

Those familiar with Moog products know that the build quality is outstanding. I've had a few Moogers but this is the first time I got my hands on a Voyager, and it's really a thing of beauty. It just feels so solid, and it looks incredible.

As for the sound, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface. The Voyager (even the OS) is much more complicated than the other two Moogs I own. However, it's definitely not confusing to operate. It's quite easy to get your head wrapped around it and start creating sounds. I suppose that's part of why people loved the Model D so much.

One thing I'll say, and I've heard other Voyager owners say this, that the Old School isn't quite as "Raw" sounding as my older Moogs. It seems a little bit more soft and less aggressive. I'm having trouble finding the really raw and fat sounds that just seem to come naturally out of my Prodigy. One of the things that I've always loved about the Prodigy is that it's super simple and I absolutely cannot get a bad sound out of it. But the Voyager is obviously much more flexible by design and allows for many more sonic possibilities. Like I said before, I've only just begun getting to know this synth. And I would not go so far as to say that it isn't FAT sounding. It's definitely fat, but it has a distinct character that's different from the older Moog sound.

That being said, it still sounds like a Moog, and it sounds really good. It's an absolute joy to play. I look forward to hearing from someone who has both the regular Voyager and the OS. I imagine that they sound very similar. I'm sure enough has been said comparing the Voyager to the Model D, but I'd still like to hear someone A-B the OS and Model D.

I really like the flexibility that Moog is building into these synths. I haven't done much to experiment with all the CV options and my Moogers, but I plan to. One thing I have tried is using the CV/Gate outs to trigger my homemade modular, and then routed that into the External Input on the OS. Five VCO's!

I haven't had any real problems, but I did notice one irregularity. When I route the Mod Wheel (or Pressure, etc.) to control the LFO Rate, I find that the rate increases as I push the Mod Wheel forward... sometimes. If the LFO is set to a Square Wave the rate changes in this way. If the LFO is set to any other waveform then pushing the Mod Wheel forward DECREASES the LFO rate! Is this true on the regular Voyager as well? I suspect not because it seems that the Mod Routing is quite different on the OS and the original Voyager.

Well, that's the extent of what I can share right now. I'd be happy to answer specific questions and over the next several weeks I'll be diving deeper into this new synth... and I'm looking forward to it!

-Mark

18watt

Post by 18watt » Tue May 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Still digging #4!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed May 07, 2008 12:49 pm

mtmelvin wrote:
One thing I'll say, and I've heard other Voyager owners say this, that the Old School isn't quite as "Raw" sounding as my older Moogs. It seems a little bit more soft and less aggressive. I'm having trouble finding the really raw and fat sounds that just seem to come naturally out of my Prodigy. One of the things that I've always loved about the Prodigy is that it's super simple and I absolutely cannot get a bad sound out of it. But the Voyager is obviously much more flexible by design and allows for many more sonic possibilities. Like I said before, I've only just begun getting to know this synth. And I would not go so far as to say that it isn't FAT sounding. It's definitely fat, but it has a distinct character that's different from the older Moog sound.

-Mark
You can use an Aural Exciter in the Voyager Mix Out loop to get more of that raw sound you're after. Processing the oscillators with an Exciter gives the filters something to chew on (so to speak), and will get you closer to the sound of those older Moogs.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed May 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I haven't had any real problems, but I did notice one irregularity. When I route the Mod Wheel (or Pressure, etc.) to control the LFO Rate, I find that the rate increases as I push the Mod Wheel forward... sometimes. If the LFO is set to a Square Wave the rate changes in this way. If the LFO is set to any other waveform then pushing the Mod Wheel forward DECREASES the LFO rate! Is this true on the regular Voyager as well? I suspect not because it seems that the Mod Routing is quite different on the OS and the original Voyager.
I think you are using the LFO to modulate it's own rate and if you do this what you describe is correct - as the LFO waveform goes more and more negative the rate slows down too. As the waveform goes positive, then the rate increases. What you probably want is to set the SOURCE to ON/MOD2. This then applies a steady +5V to the Mod Buss Input - and you use the the Mod Wheel to Attenuate it in the down position. When you move the Mod wheel forward, the LFO Rate will increase.

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts about the Old School - it was a really fun project for us! Enjoy!

Best Regards,
SD

Best Regards,

mtmelvin

Post by mtmelvin » Wed May 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Good call Steve. That's exactly what I was doing. I really like the way that the Mod bus is set up, but I'm still getting used to it.
Thanks for your help!

-Mark
SteveD wrote:I think you are using the LFO to modulate it's own rate and if you do this what you describe is correct - as the LFO waveform goes more and more negative the rate slows down too. As the waveform goes positive, then the rate increases. What you probably want is to set the SOURCE to ON/MOD2. This then applies a steady +5V to the Mod Buss Input - and you use the the Mod Wheel to Attenuate it in the down position. When you move the Mod wheel forward, the LFO Rate will increase.

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts about the Old School - it was a really fun project for us! Enjoy!

Best Regards,
SD

Best Regards,

Doc Tonewheel

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Thu May 08, 2008 6:49 pm

I love mine more and more each day. I think it is fantastic.
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D, Moog MF-102, Hammond A105 + Leslie 122RV, Yamaha CP4, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha MOXF8, SK1-73, Access Virus KC, Nord Wave, Korg MS-04, Dave Smith Mopho Kbd

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Thu May 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Strange that you need to process the sound with Exciter’s to get that fat moog sound. I feel that the Voyager sounds a bit thin compared to my Model D.
I’m interested in buying a X-Factor sizer. I’ve heard that it should sound more like the original Model D.
http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/x-factorsynth.html

Kind regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44