Voyager Old School / VX-351

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
18watt

Voyager Old School / VX-351

Post by 18watt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 am

My VOS is due to arrive tomorrow (yay!) and I have a new VX-351 sitting on a table here waiting for it. I just wanted to check: do the same instructions for installation of the internal card apply for the VOS?

I'm assuming so, but before I open her up...

Thanks!

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hi -

You don't need the output adapter board installed in the Voyager OS...

Hope that helps
SD

18watt

Post by 18watt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:33 pm

That helps a lot - thank you! Now I don't have to open it up. :)

Doc Tonewheel

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks, I'm in the same position. What do the Touch Surface X, Y, A, and Gate on the VX connect to since there is no touch plate on the Old School?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Doc Tonewheel wrote:Thanks, I'm in the same position. What do the Touch Surface X, Y, A, and Gate on the VX connect to since there is no touch plate on the Old School?
They don't connect to anything - the X, Y, A and Gate jacks are not used when a VX-351 is connected to the Voyager Old School. All of the other jacks are functional and operate as you would expect. Note, however, that a couple of the panel labels won't be correct when a VX-351 is connected to the Old School:

VX-351/Busses/Wheel = Old School Mod 1 Bus Output
Vx-351/Busses/Pedal = Old School Mod 2 Bus Output

This is described in the User's Manual.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Doc Tonewheel wrote:Thanks, I'm in the same position. What do the Touch Surface X, Y, A, and Gate on the VX connect to since there is no touch plate on the Old School?
Ill bet they could remedy that problem if they made an independant touchpad like Big Briar used to. If they did that Id surely want the OS.

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Doc Tonewheel

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:36 am

.......or some kind of updated ribbon controller with pressure sensitivity.

I really like the touch sensitivity response on the OS. It's very musical. I love using pressure to introduce vibrato or control LFO rate.

EMwhite

Re: Voyager Old School / VX-351

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:48 am

Reviving this old thread first to say that I just got my VX-351 and so, following directions, opened my Old School to put the adapter on only to find out that the lid wouldn't close on the back of the analog board !!!

Searched far and wide to see what I did wrong, for an addendum for perhaps the higher serial #'s of Old Schools, considered moving what looked like additional screw holes of the analog board, etc.

Luckily this post told me that the adapter isn't required for the OS !!! Who knew !! Did I miss the fine print or the bold warning note (I've done so before!).

The other part of this post is to ask if there is anyway to boost the voltage or define a minimum voltage or offset? If the Attenuator rolls back some voltage, is there a way to set the minimum to say, .25 V or .5V? In this case, I'm keen to patch VEL into Volume CV in on the OS for touch sensitivity tied to Volume. It does work but 1/2 the time I just get clicks because it's just a bit too low.

Thanks.

-Mike W. from NJ