Old School's Enhanced Mod Bus

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:11 am

This is, IMO, the reason such a big deal was made with the LP's RAC (Real Analog Control). In this system, each knob has a dual function per parameter: adjusting the variable in the voltage controlled component, and identifying the digital value to be stored as a preset.

Yes, all of the modular components in the Voyager are voltage controlled, but perhaps the system of tweaking is different; i.e. each parameter has quantized values (e.g. 14-bit).

So, perhaps the Old School was designed to enhance the musician's "connectivity" with his(her) instrument.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:52 am

latigid on wrote: So, perhaps the Old School was designed to enhance the musician's "connectivity" with his(her) instrument.
This is what I'd prefer from the Voyager. Just a straight forward analog engine and control circuitry. Without the processors, and patch storage, ect.

I'm very curious to know if this is indeed what they have released with the OS Voyager.

I don't agree that it's a step backward or just a reversion to the Model D. It will be much more than a Model D, even without the digital elements. I would think it will even improve the overall feel and sound if you can directly access the controls without the processor intermediating. This, IMO, is part of why many people prefer the Model D to the standard Voyager. The feel and sound of the instrument are closely linked.

I think I might even be tempted to trade in my model D for such an instrument.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Now that the Old School's are coming out,

I'm reviving this thread.

I'd like to find out more about what I previously posted,

in regards to the 14bit processing, RAC, tweaking 2 knobs at once, etc.

Anyone with an Old School can comment?

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 pm

cl15, yes you can tweak any and all panel controls at once on the OS with total smoothness. The artifacts you have noticed are related to the scanning of controls on the standard Voyager.

HOWEVER!

Rudi has fixed this for the regular Voyager in OS 3.4 which will be released very soon... as long as you turn off Parameter Display, you will be able to turn Cutoff and Spacing at the same time with no artifacts.

This is kind of a shame for me, as I have used that little-stepping effect on purpose in one of my songs which I perform live... I guess I'll just have to leave Display Parameters turned on to get this effect! :)

space_nerd

Post by space_nerd » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:24 am

So maybe it's time for me to revive a previous post of mine:

Here's a segment from an interview with Jim Scott, one of the three who designed the original minimoog:

/////

"Another contribution to the cleanliness of the instrument is the absence of any microprocessor circuitry on
board to control the analog sound chain. Very high frequency digital clock pulses have a nasty habit of
sneaking around at low levels and finding their way into the audio circuitry, where they can induce subtle
effects to muddy the sound. This is exemplified in the MicroMoog, a cut down version of the Mini, which I
designed using an ultrasonic clock as part of the keyboard in order to develop triggers for the envelope
generators. Tom Rhea reports that this instrument sounds markedly better if it is played from an external old
style Modular keyboard, with the MicroMoog keyboard circuitry shut off."

Jim Scott, May 1999.

The Audities Foundation
Copyright © 1999. All rights reserved.

/////

Well, if I knew that this opinion was being said by another person, I would thought that is just analog-anorak-hardcore
talk, but since he's is the man that contributed in the creation of minimoog,micromoog and crumar spirit (together with Bob Moog and Tom Rhea in this one also) his opinion carries A LOT of weight I think.
So, could we say that the OS goes for this purity?
In this respect, would be interesting if someone's do some tests with Voyager standard (presets,midi,digital control) and a Voyager OS side by side.

Thanks, sorry for the bad English:D
Peace :D
Nick_the_space_nerd
-Greece

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:49 am

space_nerd wrote: So, could we say that the OS goes for this purity?
Yes, very much so! There are no microprocessors or digital clocks anywhere near the control panel or sound engine of the OS. There is one digital element only in the Old School; it still uses a key-scan processor. However, this processor is self-contained underneath the keyboard, far away from any analog bits, and only an analog pitch-CV and gate ever goes from it to the analog board... all other control signals are fully analog, direct from the panel to the synth engine with no scanning or digital shenanigans. It should make for a purer sound. Of course you can control the Old School via pitch-CV and Gate from an analog modular-style keyboard, as well, using the CV jacks on the panel.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Sweet! That's good to know Amos!
As a really new owner of a Select Series Voyager,
it's nice to know I can get the 'no-artifacts' situation like the Old School.
Well, I get custom wood color and the touchpad which I love.
So when is 3.4 due? Thanks!
HOWEVER!

Rudi has fixed this for the regular Voyager in OS 3.4 which will be released very soon... as long as you turn off Parameter Display, you will be able to turn Cutoff and Spacing at the same time with no artifacts.

This is kind of a shame for me, as I have used that little-stepping effect on purpose in one of my songs which I perform live... I guess I'll just have to leave Display Parameters turned on to get this effect!

cl516

Post by cl516 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am

hello, any idea when this update with no artifacts is coming? thanks

EDIT: sweet it's out.