Voyager: Balanced or not? ...not balanced but the RME can be

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
latigid on

Voyager: Balanced or not? ...not balanced but the RME can be

Post by latigid on » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:12 pm

I have always used my Voyager AE using TS cables in an unbalanced fashion. I have the PE/SE and AE manuals, both which state the Voyager runs unbalanced.

When I received my VX-351, of course I got another manual. It has a Whitewash/Solar Select on the cover. I was quite surprised to read that these units apparently run balanced.

So when did the specs change?
Last edited by latigid on on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:40 am

Hello,

I think there must be some confusion in the manual. All Voyager keyboards have unbalanced audio output (there has been no change to this since the beginning). The Voyager Rack Mount Edition has a switchable output, either unbalanced or 600Ohm Balanced output. I am happy to say this was at my suggestion. :) If there are to be future revisions to the Voyager keyboard output, I will again suggest that balanced output should be an option.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Nowhere in the manual does it state the Voyager output is balanced, I agree.

Pg 33:
LEFT/MONO and RIGHT OUTPUTS: The Outputs are 1/4" TRS jacks. When connecting to an unbalanced input, standard TS cables can be used. When connecting to a balanced input, use 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cables for 1/4" inputs, or 1/4" TRS to male XLR cables for XLR inputs.
Just at a glance, it read like the output was balanced. Of course, the use of TRS cables for balanced inputs is necessary, otherwise the hot and cold conductors are shorted = no signal!

I run my gear into a Soundcraft Sprit Folio, so the cables are TS on the instrument end and TRS with the ring not connected on the mixer end.

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:39 pm

A TRS cable should work, and you'll get the benefit of noise canceling at the mixer end, just not at +4dB. If you're really picky, you could have TRS at the mixer end and TS with floating - at the synth end.