Difference between upgraded and non-upgraded Voyagers

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jon_kull

Difference between upgraded and non-upgraded Voyagers

Post by jon_kull » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:09 pm

I just bought a Voyager on ebay that was advertised as having OS3.3. I just found out that it does not have the OS3 (or afterpressure) upgrade. I don't really want to go through the hassle of trying to send it back to the person I bought it from and wanted to know how different an upgraded Voyager is from one that hasn't been. I know I'll only have 128 patches...is that about it or are there other things that will be missing? Also how is the 'standard' afterpressure in relation to upgraded afterpressure?

I'll probably upgrade at some point but in the meantime I have to live with it until I come up with some cash.

Thanks.

till

Post by till » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:41 pm

When you bought an OS 3.3 Voyager you should get one with the software version 3.3.
The hardware is a different thing. But the OS 3.0 and the hardware update were released at the same time, because the software had to be there to work with the additional banks of sounds.
The aftertouch upgrade (rather a aftertouch fix) is enabling you to have a more playable aftertouch. before it was more or less an on/off like response. With the update (or newer Voyagers) have a better one. But not perfect at all.

So you have define a Voyager that was build before the 7 banks came factory installed by its memory upgrade and the aftertouch upgrade. And of cause the OS system. While the later is for free, the two hardware additions cost you a bit of money.
If you are not using aftertouch on your other synths, you may not miss it.
And if you program your own sounds and don't need a huge on board library, you may not need the memory expansion.
The latest OS is always recommended. And the OS 3.3 is also working on non upgraded and memory expanded Voyagers fine (of cause without the additional hardware possibilities).
Even a "old" untouched Voyager with the latest OS is a fine instrument !
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks for the response. I also own a Little Phatty which has only 99 presets and no aftertouch and that is perfectly adequate for me. I just wasn't sure if there were any other differences between the pre-OS3 and OS3 synths other than patch storage. I sold an OS3 Voyager RME to fund the purchase of the Voyager Performer because I wanted one with Keys and wanted to make sure that they are essentially the same instrument (backlight aside).

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 pm

The filter glide mod is being done on new Voyagers and Moog will do it free for you so I would send it in for that. Afterpressure mod is the only other one needed to make it fully functional. The presets expansion and quiet 2 mods are nice, but not necessary.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:51 pm

What's the filter glide mod?

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:48 pm

On the older Voyagers the filter does not track the glide. I'm not sure exactly which series started correcting it...maybe the EB. Moog will do the mod for free if you ship it to them.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Anyone know if the filter glide and aftertouch mods are user installable? Also the Performer I purchased has the illuminated blue mod/pitch wheels...does that mean that it already has the aftertouch mod? Is there any way to tell?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:49 am

jon_kull wrote:Anyone know if the filter glide and aftertouch mods are user installable? Also the Performer I purchased has the illuminated blue mod/pitch wheels...does that mean that it already has the aftertouch mod? Is there any way to tell?
I'm just about to put the Aftertouch upgrade in now! I would guess the Performer doesn't have the Aftertouch mod in it, but the easiest way to check is to use it as a shaper on a Mod bus. If all you get is a "gate" response, then it isn't installed. The "Field Upgrade" comes with a complete left hand controller assembly, and differs from old Anniversary Editions etc. by frosting the acrylic wheels.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:19 am

latigid on wrote:I'm just about to put the Aftertouch upgrade in now! I would guess the Performer doesn't have the Aftertouch mod in it, but the easiest way to check is to use it as a shaper on a Mod bus. If all you get is a "gate" response, then it isn't installed. The "Field Upgrade" comes with a complete left hand controller assembly, and differs from old Anniversary Editions etc. by frosting the acrylic wheels.
Damn those wheels look nice!

You can never have too much modulation...

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Mine arrives today so I guess I'll find out if it has the aftertouch/glide mod when I get it.

Is there any kind of test I can do to see if I have the aftertouch or glide mods? Does anyone know when Moog started making these standard in the Performer or how I can tell how old my Performer is?