Howling Winds??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Lengai

Howling Winds??

Post by Lengai » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm trying to get some feedback on how to make some really good howling wind on the Voyager. I know the oscillators will be off and the noise source will be used.

I have the aftertouch mod on my Voyager so I'm thinking maybe routing the resonance would give a whistling sound? It also needs to raise and lower in volume as the intensity goes up and down. Some solid pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 251, 351 and the MFs except for the 107.

Thanks!

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:26 pm

So did I pretty much get it with my idea of how to make wind sounds or is it some kind of ancient Chinese secret? I won't have free time to get on the Voyager until Saturday so I was hoping for some helpful tips before then.

Thanks!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:40 am

Lengai wrote:So did I pretty much get it with my idea of how to make wind sounds or is it some kind of ancient Chinese secret? I won't have free time to get on the Voyager until Saturday so I was hoping for some helpful tips before then.

Thanks!
Yep, that's how you get wind. You have to be careful with the settings however, because surf sounds are also made this way.

A couple of ideas:
1. You could place a MuRF of BMuRF in the Voyager's Mix/Out loop to alter the character of the noise. With proper settings, the MuRF/BMuRF could add a nice bit of randomness to the sound (upping the authenticity factor), or if used statically, could shape the noise into something more suitable for a real wind sound.

2. The Ring Modulator might be able to add something interesting here, so I'd suggest trying it.

Good luck and have fun! :D

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks Greg! I hadn't thought of using the MuRF like that so I will definitely try it. Thank you very much!

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi

you can also try to run noise through a phaser, it will give a nice animation to it. Modulate the sweep with a very slow (random?) LFO... some panning can help too.

8)

Gonga

Post by Gonga » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm

Yup, I've used a Mu-Tron Bi-Phase for wind. Used lightly and tastefully, it will add additional realistic variation. This is a top-notch phaser though, where you can run separate stereo phase channels modified by independent LFOs, rates, waveforms, depths and feedbacks. You can also chain the channels.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:06 pm

I hadn't thought of using a phaser either. Thank you very much for those tips as well. I'm from New Orleans and the song is about the city and the effects of the storm so I have an aggressive wave patch I made, but the wind is necessary. These tips will help me make very good wind.

Since I'm here and Saturday is still 2 days away, do any of you know how to make a good rain sound? Seems liek it would be just the noise generator itself and maybe the phaser or Murf trick?

How about thunder? That one I think is probably a hard one to pull off.

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:00 am

Lengai wrote:How about thunder? That one I think is probably a hard one to pull off.
Hello,

Lengai, theres a thunder patch in the files section of the V'ger Yahoogroup, in the folder, "LWG patch".
Its a template from one of my banks and should point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Lawrence

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:36 pm

LWG wrote:
Lengai wrote:How about thunder? That one I think is probably a hard one to pull off.
Hello,

Lengai, theres a thunder patch in the files section of the V'ger Yahoogroup, in the folder, "LWG patch".
Its a template from one of my banks and should point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Lawrence
Oh drool! That's excellent news! I think I'm in the group..I'll go sign up. Thanks a lot LWG. The panel settings will teach me a lot.

LWG

Post by LWG » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:22 am

Hello,

One last thing: If you load the patch in your V'ger with a pedal in the mod
bus, I don't know if the pedal bus amt will have it's default setting for the patch, or the pedal will have added to or subtracted from the correct setting
(which is 044 midi) based on its travel position.
I'm not using the pedal, so you may want to try the patch first without the
device patched to the mod bus.

Regards,

Lawrence

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:52 pm

OK,

Thanks for the advice. I just uploaded OS 3.3 over the weekend. I actually spent most of my time setting up a compressor for sidechain so I was in cable hell and did get the thunder patch ready to go, but I will put it in tonight.

Thanks!

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:53 pm

LWG wrote:
Hello,

Regards,

Lawrence
LWG,

So I downloaded the thunder patch and got it ready for a sysex dump to the Voyager. I set the Voyager to "Receive Presets" with sysex enabled and no dice. Does this mean I have to have the Editor program on my computer to load a single preset onto the Voyager?

If so I'm in trouble because I run Mac OS 9.2, not OS X. Is there any way to load a single preset onto the Voyager (OS 3.3) without the Editor software? Maybe a whole bank of the same preset and then load the AE ones back in when I'm done?

If not, would you happen to have the panel settings for the thunder patch so I can dial it in myself and save it?

Thanks,
Lengai

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:47 pm

I'm sure it's easier than this. I don't quite know the full details, but remember hearing something about loading the desired patch into the compare buffer (receive single preset?) and this might have to with the way the patch is saved by the contributor. If the patch was not saved this way, you might have to go looking through your all your loaded patches to find in which place it was originally saved.

If it's in the compare buffer you should hear it straight away and be able to save it where you want.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:17 pm

I was reading about the compare buffer in the notes last night (OS 3.1 or 3.2 I believe) and was thinking that might do the trick, but I was confused so I didn't try it.

I sent the patch so maybe it is on the Voyager somewhere? Now I'm happy to only have 128 presets on 1 bank :D

I'll look for it and hopefully it's there.

Can anyone that uses the compare buffer to laod single patches please explain it in a way that a simpleton like myself would understand?

Thanks!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:17 am

Lengai wrote:I was reading about the compare buffer in the notes last night (OS 3.1 or 3.2 I believe) and was thinking that might do the trick, but I was confused so I didn't try it.

I sent the patch so maybe it is on the Voyager somewhere? Now I'm happy to only have 128 presets on 1 bank :D

I'll look for it and hopefully it's there.

Can anyone that uses the compare buffer to laod single patches please explain it in a way that a simpleton like myself would understand?

Thanks!
AFAIK, the only way a patch is loaded into the Voyager's Patch buffer (AKA Edit buffer) is if it was originally saved using the 'SEND PANEL SOUND' selection (3.1 in the Master Menu). Back when I ran the SquareWave site, this was the recommended method for saving a patch that would later be uploaded to the Voyager patch database. This method insured that when the patch was loaded it would go into the Voyager’s patch buffer instead of overwriting an existing patch, saving users the aggravation of having to hunt for the new patch.

It sounds like LWG's patch wasn't saved using 'SEND PANEL SOUND' feature. Since you've already loaded it, however, I'm betting that the patch somewhere in the sound bank - you'll just have to find it (do you know what it's called?).

A while back, Till Kopper wrote a little program that converts a defined-location Voyager SysEx file to one that will load into the patch buffer. For future reference, you can find it here:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... ght=#28818

Hope this helps,

Greg