Howling Winds??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks Greg!

I'll read Till's info now.

Something tells me I'm going to have another question.

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:51 pm

Lengai wrote:LWG,

So I downloaded the thunder patch and got it ready for a sysex dump to the Voyager. I set the Voyager to "Receive Presets" with sysex enabled and no dice. Does this mean I have to have the Editor program on my computer to load a single preset onto the Voyager?

If so I'm in trouble because I run Mac OS 9.2, not OS X. Is there any way to load a single preset onto the Voyager (OS 3.3) without the Editor software?

Thanks,
Lengai

Hello,

Lengai, although I have the SoundTower editor, when I post patches in the public domain, I post them as sysex, as I assume that many Vger users
don't necessarily use the editor.
The application I use is Midi-Ox, on PC. This may be a possible source of the snag, as I used the "Panel Send" command when saving the patch to
sysex, so it should be in the edit buffer.
What Mac app are you using to receive sysex? Do you have any problems
loading single patches you've saved from that application?

Regards,

Lawrence

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:52 am

Lengai wrote: If so I'm in trouble because I run Mac OS 9.2, not OS X. Is there any way to load a single preset onto the Voyager (OS 3.3) without the Editor software? Maybe a whole bank of the same preset and then load the AE ones back in when I'm done?
LWG is correct - you don't need the Editor for sysex patches. A reliable Mac app for sending/receiving sysex files in OS9 is the Bulk Sysex Utility. If you don't already have it, you can get it here:

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/mac/MacMidi.shtml

- Greg

till

Post by till » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi,

my little tool is working for Mac OS X and Win XP.
I have no Vista here to check it on this OS.

But it does not run on Mac OS 9.
This is only because I did not compile it for this older OS.
I may do so. But I am unable to test it on OS 9, because I have no Mac with this OS here at all. But I am not depending on special OS features at all. So it should be possible to do.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks guys!

I use Sysex Loader (or a name really close to that). The thunder patch is the first one I've ever tried to load in so that's why I'm confusing myself. I was in my home studio for 6 hours yesterday, but I was so focused on what I was doing in Cubase that I didn't even think to check the Voyager :oops:

I will tonight and let you guys know. I appreciate all of the help with this. I'm sure once I do it right the first time I'll have it down.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:17 am

LWG wrote:
Lengai wrote:LWG,

So I got the Thunder patch ready for a sysex dump to the Voyager. I set the Voyager to "Receive Presets" with sysex enabled and no dice. Does this mean I have to have the Editor program on my computer to load a single preset onto the Voyager?

If so I'm in trouble because I run Mac OS 9.2, not OS X. Is there any way to load a single preset onto the Voyager (OS 3.3) without the Editor software?

Thanks,
Lengai

Hello,

Lengai, although I have the SoundTower editor, when I post patches in the public domain, I post them as sysex, as I assume that many Vger users
don't necessarily use the editor.
The application I use is Midi-Ox, on PC. This may be a possible source of the snag, as I used the "Panel Send" command when saving the patch to
sysex, so it should be in the edit buffer.
What Mac app are you using to receive sysex? Do you have any problems
loading single patches you've saved from that application?

Regards,

Lawrence
OK,

I sat down with the Voyager. The Thunder patch is not in the bank anywhere. The program I use on my Mac is SYSEX LIBRARIAN. I've updated the Voyager's OS twice with it and it works fine.

Can someone please hold my hand and tell me the steps on the Voyager to load a single sysex preset?

I've looked in the EDIT MENU at "Compare Preset." Is that the Compare Buffer you guys are talking about? Do I get the patch loaded up in Sysex Librarian and then go to the EDIT MENU, choose "Compare Preset," and transmit the data from Sysex Librarian?

Is "Receive Presets" in the MASTER MENU not used for this function?

Sorry for all of the questions, but this is not very intuitive to me. Maybe RL can add a "Load Single Preset to Location" sysex function to the next OS update for us simple folk?

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could clear up this fog.

Thanks,
Lengai

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:02 pm

OK,

I just talked to Moog and it was pretty simple. I was doing the right steps by using the MASTER MENU and "Receive Presets." I didn't switch back to PANEL mode to receive the preset. I was doing it like an OS update. So, all I needed to do was go back to PANEL mode...Doh!

It stinks when things get more complicated than thay need to be. Thank you guys for all the help with this, I genuinely appreciate it.

Just for a note...whichever preset and bank is used by the designer of a patch will be the destination for the preset when loaded into another Voyager. If the creator has the V3 board and the person loading the preset doesn't, it will default to the preset number of the single bank (i.e. the AE Voyager)