When is a Moog not a Moog?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jeepyboy

When is a Moog not a Moog?

Post by jeepyboy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:20 pm

When you live in the UK, obviously.

How important is that 'Minimoog' badge, anyway? (yeah, I thought you'd say that!).

I bought my Voyager Performer last year from Turnkey in the UK. I was indeed disappointed at the lack of a Moog badge, but decided to be adult about it. Moog USA said they could send me stuff to stick on it, but never did. I thought it would be 'safer' to buy in the UK in case of any problems and chickened out of ordering from the US, so I'm surprised to hear that many people have done that!

I'm also surprised that so many people are 'upgrading' to the AE. How much does that cost, anyway? It's not really an option if you live in the UK.

I do think that the blue backlit display looks cool, but what about the black-stained box?? Hmmm....and the gold label on the side? I think that the natural wood look is really important to keep that Minimoog vibe, so I wouldn't change mine. Perhaps we should be content with the wonderful thing we have and not go crazy with 'upgrade fever'...

martin

Post by martin » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:56 am

Hi
Same here. I got my Voyager Performer last year in the UK and was happy it had finally arrived. since then I got an hd recorder, a midi sequencer and a reverb, along with an extra little analogue module (analogue solutions black coffee for some extra ringmod etc effects). The Moog is the centerpiece, and no matter what happens, it'll be the main instrument for years to come I hope.
I just love the wooden panels and the classic look and wouldn`t consider upgrading to an anniversary because i think that one should be content with such an exquisite instrument, especially when you get the option of upgrading to an improved OS every so often.
Upgrading to a new look doesn't mean the music one makes will improve I think. Better to keep what you have and play it all the time.

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Here, here, Martin. I couldn't agree more.

So what is driving people to spend yet more $$$/£££ on a dubious face-lift?

(now if there was a chance of getting the backlit didplay but keeping the natural wood...no, I'm happy, honest I am...)

baward

Post by baward » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:37 am

Turnkey have recently dropped their Moog prices, by about 10 - 12%: http://tinyurl.com/22oc9

Does anyone in the UK know if you can buy the rack adapter kit for the CP and VX boxes from Turnkey? http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=74

BTW I recently bought a new, unused dust cover for my MMV from Ebay. Cost me about £19 inc p&p. The Turnkey price is £40.99...

Ben

Seamus4444

U.K. or U.S. Is it a Moog?

Post by Seamus4444 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:45 pm

I was going to buy from Turnkey for the same reasons but found their "these will be more collectible without the Moog Logo, because there's not many of them" statements a bit hard to swallow. I was further put off when I read that the Moog Logo is even removed from the internal boards! I've wanted a moog since I was a teenager (many moons ago), and to me, it just wouldn't be a Moog once it had been de-faced. I ended up importing a solid Walnut AE edition, and it cost me £200 less than the standard black AE from Turnkey after shipping and import. Sure, i'm worried about the warranty, but if things turn sour i'll just have to ship it back to the States. I'm bitterly disappointed with Moog though. I heard they are really good at support, but I've emailed their support line 3 times and have not had a single reply. I suspect that they may be blanking UK owners, which if true would be really out of order.

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:29 pm

I live in Sweden so I have no problem getting a Moog Minimoog but our dealer is really crappy and slow. I wanted to order a Voyager AE but after four month they still hadn’t ordered any Voyagers… they said they waited for the dollar rate to go down. I couldn’t wait anymore… I ordered my Voyager AE from EMC in Germany. It took one week (door to door delivery) and got €250 cheaper then the price in Sweden.

Just a tip for you living in the U.K, buy your Moog Minimoog from EMC.

http://www.emc-de.com

Kind regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:14 pm

I have an AE and it looks fantastic, i prefer it to the normal wood. I had mine imported from the states as well and it came in a lot cheaper even with duty and taxes.The moog logo that is missing on UK versions is the minimoog badge which is written in small writing above the voyager badge.There are no big Moog logos anywhere else on the keyboards front panel.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:27 am

But it is a BIG Moog logo on the back of the panel, underneath the front panel. :lol: Not maid of the same reflexive material like on my old Model D.

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:33 pm

I was one of those who ordered from the USA and had absolutely no problems at all. I have an AE, but it's one of a hand full of maple editions, as opposed to black, which I am also not as keen on. As for the badge on the side, I have no problem with that, as buying an AE was about owning a piece of history, as well as a fantastic musical masterpiece... Each to their own, I suppose!
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:48 am

The big moog logo on back is a sticker and moog send you one when you send off your warranty card. I stuck mine on the front right above th keys and it looks great.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

corkyburger

MESI Paris

Post by corkyburger » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:46 am

I felt the same way about having a 'real' Moog. Sure they all sound the same but I'd dreamt about owning a Moog for many years and didn't want one without the logo's. I ordered from MESI in Paris and it came in cheaper than the Turnkey price.
I had too many bad experiences with Turnkey to trust them with such a big purchase as well.

I must say I still didn'y receive my sticker yet. Maybe it will turn up soon.

CB

countlove

Post by countlove » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:55 pm

If you guys really want a collectable.. There is a place called Big City Music that has Walnut AE moog voyagers.. They had 20 specialy made from moog.. The only AE Backlit Walnuts that exist.. I think.

http://www.bigcitymusic.com/product.asp?pid=1000290

Boeing 737-400

Re: MESI Paris

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:32 pm

corkyburger wrote:I felt the same way about having a 'real' Moog. Sure they all sound the same but I'd dreamt about owning a Moog for many years and didn't want one without the logo's. I ordered from MESI in Paris and it came in cheaper than the Turnkey price.
I had too many bad experiences with Turnkey to trust them with such a big purchase as well.

I must say I still didn'y receive my sticker yet. Maybe it will turn up soon.

CB
Most of us didn't receive our stickers for many months!

markorbit

UK M**G

Post by markorbit » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:51 pm

Yep I totally agree. I bought mine from Turnkey and although I knew about the 'name' problem I want to proudly badge my Moog.

Seeing as they were charging the same price as a Moog.

countlove

Post by countlove » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:47 pm

So why can't Moog's Display the moog name in Europe?