Control Inputs

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Fly Agaric

Control Inputs

Post by Fly Agaric » Mon May 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding control devices and jack plug configuration.

I plan to build some custom input devices, but the manual does not appear to give details on the input jack config (i've seen that it does for the external effect loop however). Do the input sockets provide the +/- 5v allowing for a resistive control device to be used or does the control device need to provide the control voltage from an independant source?. If the later is true, which parts of the jack connect 0V and which are to be used for the varing signal?

I hope i'm making myself clear and thanks in advance of any help!

Matthew

GregAE

Re: Control Inputs

Post by GregAE » Tue May 22, 2007 10:14 am

Fly Agaric wrote:Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding control devices and jack plug configuration.

I plan to build some custom input devices, but the manual does not appear to give details on the input jack config (i've seen that it does for the external effect loop however). Do the input sockets provide the +/- 5v allowing for a resistive control device to be used or does the control device need to provide the control voltage from an independant source?. If the later is true, which parts of the jack connect 0V and which are to be used for the varing signal?

I hope i'm making myself clear and thanks in advance of any help!

Matthew
Hi Matthew,

The Voyager is designed to provide a +5V CV signal on any jack with a red nut. This setup allows you to connect an expression pedal (basically a resistive device on a TRS connector) directly to these inputs and effect the function at that jack using your foot. Note that this means that the voltage at these jacks will only swing positive (0-5V) when an expression pedal is used, even though some inputs can accept +/-5V.

You can download a chart detailing the Voyager's 14 control input jacks (including the effective voltage ranges of each jack) here:

https://www.moogmusic.com/members/?sect ... 0id%20DESC

Regardless of whether the jack is red or blue, all control voltages must appear on the TIP of the connecting plug, with the SLEEVE connected to ground. Jacks with red nuts will provide +5V on the RING of a TRS connector, but there is no harm in plugging an ordinary TS connector into any red jack.

Related: if you have a CP-251 CV Expander, you can easily configure an expression pedal for +/-5V. To see how, take a look at this routing diagram:

https://www.moogmusic.com/members/?sect ... ile_id=335

Hope this helps!

Greg

(Link for the +/- 5V routing diagram replaced)
Last edited by GregAE on Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fly Agaric

Post by Fly Agaric » Tue May 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Thanks Greg - thats great information.

I plan to use various transducers (pressure, light etc) to generate a varing +/-5v signals from a separate source. Now that i can pick up the ground (0v), i should be able to do this.

Thanks again.

Matthew