VX-351 = high pitched whine?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
CTRLSHFT

VX-351 = high pitched whine?

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:18 pm

Has anybody figured out another solution for how to use these with a voyager and not have everything that comes out of them add a horrible high pitched whine? Using a TRS cable and taking for instance the LFO out and hooking it up to a MF-101's cutoff input will add a loud high-pitched whine to the mf-101's signal. The only way i can seem to get rid of it is by only plugging the TRS cable into the VX-351 half-way (which is an easy solution, but still...).

I own a Voyager RME and know these already have the "fix" in them to correct this issue (only kb's need a special adaptor board), but plainly it isn't working. Any ideas on why i'm experiencing this? the same thing happens with the cp-251 i have sharing power off of the vx-351, so i know this is definitely voyager related.
www.ctrlshft.com

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:58 pm

run the cp-251 off its own power supply instead of daisy-chaining from the vx-351. That will stop the ringing; it is due to an oscillation being set up in the power circuit between these devices. It's rare that it comes up but powering the cp-251 form its own wall wart always seems to do the trick.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Amos wrote:run the cp-251 off its own power supply instead of daisy-chaining from the vx-351. That will stop the ringing; it is due to an oscillation being set up in the power circuit between these devices. It's rare that it comes up but powering the cp-251 form its own wall wart always seems to do the trick.
thanks for clearing that up! you = awesome. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

drxcm

Post by drxcm » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Wow, I have the same issue. W ish I'd known that before I put those two little boxes in the rackmount kit!

There's no other electronic fix? It would be nice to avoid a seperate power supply.

[/i]

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:56 am

Try putting a diode in series with the power supply. The diode should block the noise, but will drop the voltage by 0.6V, so you might want to boost the voltage slightly.

I'm guessing the VX-351 is powered straight from the Voyager (non-rackmount)?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:59 am

Sorry, you would wire something like:

PSU----->VX351----->diode----->CP251

Ask the engineers first, though...

Titus Raindrops

Re: VX-351 = high pitched whine?

Post by Titus Raindrops » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Moog?

Please put a note in with the rackmout kit that states that the daisy-chain power cable is OPTIONAL and that it may cause unwanted oscillations!

Reducing my wall warts by one is a nice thing, but not if it totally destroys the sound of the Voyager?

For those of you who have NOT YET assembled the rackmount kit, you can use the existing CP-251 power header but route it to one of the holes in the rack chassis. This will allow you to use it in a rack without losing a space above the assembly (if you use the power jack in the original position, you will have to leave a space above the pedals).

Loosen the nut holding the CP-251 power jack and remove it. Install it in the upper-left hole in the rack chassis. When you assemble the two halves, gently plug the lead into the board header (you may need some needle-nose pliers and some patience - it will fit with only about 1/2 inch slack). Once that's complete, assemble the rest of the rack and cap off the regular power jack hole with one of the nylon hole caps included with the kit.

Anyway, hoping this helps. It would have saved me more than an hour of work if I had seen it ahead of time.

solitud

Re: VX-351 = high pitched whine?

Post by solitud » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm

I have exactly the same issues: Moog Voyager + rackmounted VX-351/CP-251 = high pitched whine, even if I connect nothing on the expander.
More strange: if I connect any of the Expander jacks to my Doepfer Modular (not routed to any VCA output) I can hear the pitched whine on my modular also! The wonders of electricity ...
Really dissappointed.