need some advice

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
badmann

need some advice

Post by badmann » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:58 am

does anyone here know how i can mak my voyager fit in with my other keyboards ?? i know this might sound dumg but im having a hard time trying to put a beat together with my regular keyboards like triton and fantom with my moog the moog always seems to stand out, cause its heavy that when i add other instruments to my sequence they get drowned out??of course im new too the moog sound but i figured id ask anyway! is it true moogs r only good for bass and leads?

martin

Post by martin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:49 am

some suggestions that may help:

- don't use all three oscillators at once. that can really fatten up the sound beyond what you might want. start out with just one plus some modulation or noise added. play in the middle range.

- use the noise generator to make snare sounds.

- it's possible to make great pumping bass drum sounds as well.

- most moogs are pretty good at bass and leads, but also for mayhem and zaps, crazy alien effects and vocaloid sounds.

- play with the adsr settings to make shorter blips and bleeps for gentler, higher, melodic lines.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 pm

Run the entire mix through a compressor.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:09 pm

I just drown mine in the same effects that everything else is going through. ;) Seriously though when I first got mine I couldn't understand why it stood out like a sore thumb then I realised that all my other gear was running through reverb, chorus, delay, etc. It didn't really gel with the Voyager's dry signal. I also use a bit of EQ to remove some of the sludge in the bottom end.

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Hello,

Digital synths and digital/analog hybrids tend to have a transparency in comparison to their all-analog counterparts. One additional thing you could try for recording digital with analogs is to leave the analogs uncompressed and take the output of the digital synth(s) and split two ways: one goes direct to the mixer, the other goes thru some compression (a warm punchy one, but not overdone) then to the mixer. You can balance the two signals at the mixer so you get the punchier compressed tone, but you don't lose the more dynamic high-end of the unprocessed side.

Regards,

Lawrence

badmann

Post by badmann » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:45 pm

is there a way to make the tone of the voyager a little smoother and not so sharp/edgy?? or should i just work on the eq so it has its on place in the mix? i def love the sounds but its like an electric shock compared to my other equipment plus im not very familiar with songs out now that use the voyager if any one knows a few lmk? that way i can hear how its normally sounds when its done right?

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Volt Per Octaves

badmann

Post by badmann » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:29 pm

volt per octave ??? can u elaborate a little!!

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:39 pm

Volt Per Octaves is a band - google them.

Interestingly enough...I just sold a Triton - I've been going through a bit of a renaissance musically and traded it in for a Nord Electro 2 because the Triton just couldn't do the sound I wanted which the NE2 does - the classic Rhodes without the Rhodes. However...

I also found at first that the Voyager stood out but then realized that it was supposed to. Don't you want a lead (or bass) instrument to stand out a little? It is so much different than the digital mush we let it lay on that it's gonna stand out. Processing it can help make it sit better in a mix though, I agree.

One thing I like using the Voyager for (besides leads and basses) is ambient layers within a song. For instance...in a chorus...make some totally funky strange wierd (drone) sound on the Voyager and lay it low in the mix. It can really add some unique character and vibrancy to a tune.

For what it's worth, I run my Voyager through a ZVex Fuzz Factory->MF-102->Frostwave Resonator->ElectroHarmonixDeluxeMemoryMan and absolutely love the sound that comes out the other end. It stands out when it needs to but that's a good thing for me.
Last edited by earsmack on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:46 pm

myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves