Voyager Keyboard OS 3.3

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SteveD

Voyager Keyboard OS 3.3

Post by SteveD » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:32 pm

Hello Voyager people!

We've made available a new Voyager OS, it's version 3.3. This week we have the Keyboard version available - next week we should have the Rack Mount version available too.

Go to a Voyager product page and click the software link, it should be the last file on the page. The three firmware banks are in a .zip folder with user notes.

Here's a quick overview of the new features:
1) Local Control On/Off - Local Off now turns off the front panel controls as well as the keyboard, and the state is remembered after power down.
2) MIDI Key Order - you can now select the number of Voyagers in your set up from one to 16 for polyphonic playing.
3) Save Preset - now you can easily save to any of the 7 preset banks (if you have the 3.x digital board)
4) Pitch Bend Amount - separate Up/Down Amounts are stored in a preset

We hope you enjoy the new features.
Thanks to Rudi Linhard for yet another OS upgrade!

Best Regards
Steve Dunnington
Moog Music

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:45 pm

That is so awesome...
http://www.myspace.com/sirdsssound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Scott_Stone

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 am

Installed fine here upgrading from the previous latest version. Will report any problems.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

gd

Post by gd » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:41 am

do I have to install 3.2 first as I have just never bothered but this upgrade is one that I definately will do.
Mini D, P'08 ..

RL

Post by RL » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm

do I have to install 3.2 first
No, but it is very important to save your presets before you make the upgrade. After the upgrade you should make a factory reset before you re-load your presets (MASTER/COPYRIGHT INFO/ENTER/+1/ENTER/CURSOR-->YES/ENTER).
Have fun,
Rudi

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 pm

RL wrote:
do I have to install 3.2 first
No, but it is very important to save your presets before you make the upgrade. After the upgrade you should make a factory reset before you re-load your presets (MASTER/COPYRIGHT INFO/ENTER/+1/ENTER/CURSOR-->YES/ENTER).
Have fun,
Rudi
I did *not* back up my sounds before the update so I decided to do it now. I thought I was backing all sounds up but it seems that the receive presets/send presents only works for the current bank and not all banks - is this correct? Also, resetting to the factory presets sets the current bank to the original 128 patches only not the 128 that were in that bank otherwise - is that right? That is...if I reset bank A and B and C they will contain the patches starting with "I'm Baaack!" etc...

I think that's what I'm seeing happen but just want to be sure this is correct behaviour.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

RL

Post by RL » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:32 pm

it seems that the receive presets/send presents only works for the current bank and not all banks - is this correct?
You are right.
Also, resetting to the factory presets sets the current bank to the original 128 patches only not the 128 that were in that bank otherwise - is that right?
Yes, correct.
Unfortunately there's not enaugh space in the flash memory to re-load all banks. But you don't need a factory reset for all banks - any bank is OK.
Have fun,
Rudi

till

Post by till » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks Rudi !
Nice to see you are still doing a good thing even better.

Question:
will the old bipolar pitchbend range data used for the up and the down range if the patch is loaded to an OS 3.3 Voyager ?

And what happens the other way: sending a patch with different up and down range to an pre OS 3.3 Voyager? What will happen ? Will the up or the down range used for both ranges ?
I guess you found a way to make the old and new sound work on the other Voyager too.

BTW: what synth got different up and down ranges on pitch bend too?
I think this is a seldom found (and used?) feature.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

RL

Post by RL » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:04 pm

will the old bipolar pitchbend range data used for the up and the down range if the patch is loaded to an OS 3.3 Voyager ?
Yes, the Voyager checks the preset after loading and changes the value to the new pitch bend up/down location in the RAM.
And what happens the other way: sending a patch with different up and down range to an pre OS 3.3 Voyager
Older OS versions will ignore the new pitch bend up/down values - sorry.
Have fun,
Rudi

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks Rudi

I think I nuked a bank by accident but I'll just download some of the patches from the web site and reload. I saved my own bank of patches properly which is good! What's the easiest way to get A-G reloaded fully? I forget how they got there initially -I guess since I bought a 3.0 unit they were there all along.

Thanks again - I like the new save functionality!

RL

Post by RL » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 pm

What's the easiest way to get A-G reloaded fully?
Ask Amos from Moogmusic - I'm sure he can send all banks to you.
I'm using the editor software for storing the banks.
Have fun,
Rudi

Stuckinabox

Post by Stuckinabox » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:13 pm

I also really like the new save interface.

However, the best part is the nonsense that got loaded into the compare buffer. It's a bunch of bizzare settings that I have yet to figure out (I got back to normal from the original patch) but it's great for sound effects.

RL

Post by RL » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:29 pm

However, the best part is the nonsense that got loaded into the compare buffer.
Yeah, the new functions change the address of the compare buffer and this nonsense happens when you forget the factory reset.
Have fun,
Rudi

ssilk

Post by ssilk » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:49 am

re: Voyager updates...

I'm not (yet) a Voyager user (though I'm hoping to be the proud owner of an LP Stage Edition once they're available!), but there's something about the Voyager functionality that I've been wondering about:

would it be possible in a future update to add a feature supporting the "analogue mode: pass-thru / track" functionality that the LP has? or does the hardware used on the Voyager simply prohibit such an addition to the OS? it seems like it would be a useful touch, I'm surprised that the Voyager doesn't support it already...

keep up the good work, moogers!

~S

RL

Post by RL » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:01 am

would it be possible in a future update to add a feature supporting the "analogue mode: pass-thru / track" functionality
Yes, I guess we will get this function in OS 3.4
Have fun,
Rudi