Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man with Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
JSRockit

Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man with Voyager?

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Has anyone ran their Voyager through an EH Deluxe Memory Man? How was it? Good, Bad?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Fantastic. Buttery slight modulation is incredible.

Has a different sound from the Moog delays. I have an org 104 and a 104-SD(those sound different to my ears as well).
http://www.myspace.com/sirdsssound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Scott_Stone

bendingbus

Post by bendingbus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:30 am

I second the "buttery" comment. Sounds amazing as long as you don't drive the MM too hard (if you do it starts to distort). A touch of the chorus knob can be nice as well. I'm getting a second MM for stereo delays.

-bb

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:44 am

Does it lose alot of volume when you engage the memory man?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:40 am

Perfect timing on this thread as I spent most of yesterday researching analog delays. Here is a helpful link that I dug up..

http://www.legendarytones.com/maxonmemoryman.html

I'm just not sure which one to buy...there seem to be a few good ones out there...

I would very much prefer a battery operated unit and have emailed ZVex about making one...I think it's great how they make effects that sound incredible and suck only 3 or 4 mA - amazing.

Does anyone have any samples that they can upload for us to listen to of the Voyager going through an EH? Also, is the power cord like the one on the Voyager or does it have an "AC Adapter" style? I am leaning towards either the EH or the Maxon.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 pm

buying batteries for guitar pedals is like climbing a mountain and throwing your cash into the air.....

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:buying batteries for guitar pedals is like climbing a mountain and throwing your cash into the air.....
Unless you buy rechargeable batteries.

bendingbus

Post by bendingbus » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Rockit,

The MM has an gain knob so you can set it so it sounds just right when you engage...no volume loss. You can also get some compression/overdrive by cranking up on this.

If anyone wants a before/after sample of the MM just email me at [email protected] and I'll send you over an MP3.

bb

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:56 pm

JSRockit wrote:
electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:buying batteries for guitar pedals is like climbing a mountain and throwing your cash into the air.....
Unless you buy rechargeable batteries.
Or you've found out that any alkaline battery can be recharged - including the ones that have `do not recharge' written on them.

Duracells aren't as good for recharging as they used to be. I think they've found out people are doing this. They used to work perfectly, but now they sometimes leak. But other alkalines work perfectly, and the Duracells can often be done if you're careful.

Of course you do this at your own risk. But I've been doing this for about ten years now, and the only problem I've had is the aformentioned slight leakage, which is accompanied by a sharp cracking hiss and can gunge up the charger a bit. It rarely happens.

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:20 pm

Hello,

You may want to take a run over to Main Drag Music in Brooklyn. I believe they have a floor model LP and/or Vger. If they'll let you hook up a MM to one of them you can try it out. My memory (no pun intended) of the MM is a bit distant, as I tried it and the Electric Mistress with guitar, around the late seventies.
With EH, I find some of their bbd-based effects to be a bit noisy for my tastes, although they have their own sound.
I'd recommend demoing it, in addition to pedals like the MF-104, before deciding.

Regards,

Lawrence

JSRockit

Re: Post Subject

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:37 am

LWG wrote: I'd recommend demoing it, in addition to pedals like the MF-104, before deciding.
You're probably right... but I'm probably just going to buy one used off ebay...and if I don't like it, resell it on ebay.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Sam Ash has these for $235 (not in stock) - much lower than any other online price i've seen (most hover around $313/$319) but most reputable places will match the price. Since the used price on alot of these is pretty close to $235 anyway - I would just get a new one. That's a really great price for this unit! Get it before Sam Ash realizes they must have made a mistake! :-)

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:20 pm

zbq wrote:Sam Ash has these for $235 (not in stock) - much lower than any other online price i've seen (most hover around $313/$319) but most reputable places will match the price. Since the used price on alot of these is pretty close to $235 anyway - I would just get a new one. That's a really great price for this unit! Get it before Sam Ash realizes they must have made a mistake! :-)
They have been out of stock for awhile... and so are the other places that show that price. Once they have them in stock, they will most likely change the price.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Doesn't matter if they change the price - use it while you can. Call Musician's Friend (currently in stock) place the order, tell them you want a price match with Sam Ash for $235, done. They will check it out on the Sam Ash web site.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:39 pm

They will only honor the price if the piece is in stock. I tried a few times.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).