Voyager Youtube Special

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
KitsuneDarkStalker

Voyager Youtube Special

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:59 pm

OK, for those who didn't want to download the WMVs, the Youtube versions are uploaded:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vzlFSBFEI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpDqgmsynQQ
Part 3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=adRHS1GKnG4
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvaTPe2jf_w
-KitsuneDarkstalker
"ROMpler fan who wants a Voyager"

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:56 pm

All uploaded!
-KitsuneDarkstalker
"ROMpler fan who wants a Voyager"

Brad

Post by Brad » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:28 pm

Really good! Thanks!

gcrump

Thank you

Post by gcrump » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:22 pm

und danke

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Thanks from the UK, without this, I doubt we'd ever have seen it.

Cheers again

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:49 pm

Great. It's especially nice to see the Voyager being put together.

But I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought `whoa, you've missed an important bit' when the first section slid straight from Bob Moog inventing the Moog synth in the sixties to the Minimoog. The photos hinted at the missing section - photo of Wendy Carlos' instrument at the time Switched on Bach was recorded, when people suddenly became aware of the Moog synth and it became cool to play one. But the program jumped clean over that. The photo of Eric Siday in 1964 seemed a bit shuffled in like a loose end (to mix metaphors), as well.

It'd be nice to see the proper history of what really happened a bit more often - and it'd be nice, too, to see some mention of Harold Bode's contributions (though - first small hint here - we should be hearing something new about Harold Bode before very long. Although he died quite a while ago, there's something simmering after all this time).

Anyway, yes, great stuff. Please keep posting these links. :)

Polymoogie

Post by Polymoogie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Thank you very much KitsuneDarkStalker,

you made it possible for me to watch it on youtube and gave me a very nice time.

By the way: Anyone seen the factory tour of Dave Smith instruments on youtube ? Very interesting, as the factory looks totally different from Moog with people all dressed in white running around. Actually more a laboratory than a factory ?!

till

Post by till » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:42 am

I think Dave Smith is actually showing the factory plant that is doing the boards and labour for him. It is not his factory.
Moog also let the board make on a specialized factory.
I think most if not all professional companies do so.
And now that soldering with lead is not allowed for pros in the EU, there is now other way to do it.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

rg

Cool drawings

Post by rg » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:55 am

I thought it was really cool that they showed those plans that Bob Moog drew... Am I the only one who had the thoguht "Gee... I wonder what other plans they have of Bob's? ...ones that haven't been put into production" I am sure the man had made plans for other instruments that havent been used... hmm... Do you think Moog will use some of them for future synths :shock: ?

Polymoogie

Post by Polymoogie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:43 pm

Till: At least the short film at youtube was called "Dave Smith instruments factory tour".
What the heck, I will ask him next Messe in Frankfurt. He´s usually there.
You´re gonna come, too ?

till

Post by till » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:21 am

Polymoogie wrote:Till: At least the short film at youtube was called "Dave Smith instruments factory tour".
And who comes up with the title? The film producer or Dave Smith?
I think it just shows how much inside the film producer was.

If you watch a portion of the film, you would notice that this plant would be able to manufacture thousends per month. And I am sure Dave is not selling his units by this rate.
Polymoogie wrote:What the heck, I will ask him next Messe in Frankfurt. He´s usually there.
You´re gonna come, too ?
I am only traveling there if there is a Waldorf booth. Most of the newer synths present there are not worth the travel for me.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Sweep

Re: Cool drawings

Post by Sweep » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 pm

rg wrote:I thought it was really cool that they showed those plans that Bob Moog drew... Am I the only one who had the thoguht "Gee... I wonder what other plans they have of Bob's? ...ones that haven't been put into production" I am sure the man had made plans for other instruments that havent been used... hmm... Do you think Moog will use some of them for future synths :shock: ?
I wouldn't be surprised. In fact he contacted someone with a view to working on a new project a couple of years before he died. Then he was diagnosed, and other things became more important.

That project is still ongoing, though Bob Moog didn't get involved in the design and it never became a Moog company project. But certainly he was thinking in terms of new ideas towards the end of his life, and the one I know about wasn't connected with work on the synth with the silly name, so he was evidently thinking more widely.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 pm

till wrote:I am only traveling there if there is a Waldorf booth.
Till,

Any idea what Waldorf's next product will be? I hope they show it NAMM. :)

I also hope they make available the Q's 32 voice upgrade again. :D I need It!!

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:19 pm

I guess Wolfgang Palm's going to get Axel to design the new Waldorf after he gets out the Hartmann Neuron OS 2.0... :wink:

-andrew bunny (who has both a SE Voyager and an orphaned Neuron...).

PS to Till: know anyone who's got a Wave for sale? RREAALLYY cheap?

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:37 pm

bunnyman wrote:I guess Wolfgang Palm's going to get Axel to design the new Waldorf after he gets out the Hartmann Neuron OS 2.0... :wink:

-andrew bunny (who has both a SE Voyager and an orphaned Neuron...).

PS to Till: know anyone who's got a Wave for sale? RREAALLYY cheap?
Interesting bunnyman, I suppose the Voyager is in New Orleans and the Neuron is in Portland (or vise versa). Nice combo anyway!

Hmm! Wolfgang Palm hasn't been around for awhile (at least at Waldorf) and Axel only desinged the aesthtetics/design layouts. But I get your point... :wink:

As for the WAVE... We are all envious of Qwave's gear. But a cheap Wave. :shock: