Help with getting B3 and gong sounds...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sir_dss

Help with getting B3 and gong sounds...

Post by sir_dss » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:43 pm

Hello...

I've been trying to emulate the sounds of some sort of drawbar organ and also a gong on my Voyager. Since I'd be playing only single note parts I would imagine that I should use all the VCO's but intermodulate them somehow.

Well I've tried this for several hours now. I know you can only get just SO close, but has anyone have any advise???

What VCO shape(s) should I start with?

How would I modulate the sound? Wave? Pitch? Filter??

And anything else to add.

It doesent have to sounds exact of else I would use some sort of sampler or digital synth. I wan't to keep it on the Voyager!

Thanks

MC

Post by MC » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:40 am

Tonewheel organ sounds are very hard to get on analog synths. It's very hard to pinpoint why some synths work and some don't. I can get a passible tonewheel organ sound on my Memorymoog and I'd heard good ones from Prophet-5s, but I can't get the same results from my Andromeda or my Voyager.

Gongs on the Voyager are much easier. The quickest way is to modulate a self-oscillating filter with OSC3 in the audio range. Square waveshape is a good start but experimenting with waveshape and modulation amount gets a huge palette of clangorous sounds. They're certainly easy to get on the old model D.