Moog Analog Effects Pedals

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Moog Analog Effects Pedals

Post by VCO » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:54 am

Was wondering what users that have Moog Analog Effects Pedals think of the Moog Foogers and mini Foogers in comparison to digital effects pedals. Are analog effects pedals traditionally equipped with a mono quarter inch input mostly or do some analog pedals provide stereo ins and outs? I thought I remember reading that analog pedals are usually mono? I know some pedals are designed for guitarists even though they offer line inputs as well. I read that analog effect pedals sound darker and warmer than digital. I know Analog delay has a different vibe and reacts different
than digitalndelays. I’ve never owned any analog effects pedals but was interested in hearing others opinions . I’m considering getting a digital delay although was wondering if an analog delay would be a better option.
I’m not knowledgeable enough to know the pros and cons and how they might differ. Was also wondering if there is a drastic cost difference. I know the Moog Foogers are expensive. I also some digital effects emulate analog effects well and I thought digital delays are considered more versatile and aren’t as pronounced as much in midrange frequency’s?
I read an article comparing the differences between analog and digital but thought that forum members here would
Be able to give a perspective. Thanks

stiiiiiiive

Re: Moog Analog Effects Pedals

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:40 pm

I know you've posted another thread dedicated to delays in particular, but I'll try to be more general here. By the way you may already know par of this, but hey, it may help others too :)

So... generally speaking, you have, on one end of this axis, the all analogue pedals. They have simple or less simple circuits and a behaviour that reflects the quality of their components, i.e. sometimes not so consistent, with some flaws/charm [choose the appropriate option]. They are often referred to as besing more lively or organic. By the way, such circuits, most of the time, process one signal only, i.e. a monophonic audio signal. To process a stereo signal, you have to literally duplicate the whole citcuit... twice as much components (or so: some components can manage a couple of signals...)

At the opposite extremity of the axis, you have the almighty digital effects: as far as the processing goes, they can do whatever you can imagine, only the processor power is the limit, as well as the imagination of the guy who wrote the software they run. They are kind convenient for many reasons: they can evolve through software versions, they can store settings in presets, they can sometimes handle MIDI and thus sync to an external device, their LFOs can be extremely precise etc
Somewhere near this extremity can be found a lot of digital effects whose purpose is to mimic analogue ones, more especially expensive analogue effects :) Some of these clones are good, other are less good, some ears will care, other ears will not care. Think EchoSex, Boss RE-20, etc.

Somewhere else on the axis, you'll find digitally controlled analogue effects. Best of both worlds: the signal is processed by an analogue effect, the effect circuit is digitally controlled, hence offering some abilities like preset recall (sometimes), tap tempo, MIDI control etc. The MF-104M and the MF-108M, for example, are some of those effects. The Elektron Analog Heat is another one.

About delays, there are few technologies that have allowed to replicate a signal: tape recording/replaying, Bucket Brigade Devices ("BBDs"), oil cans... you can search for examples of those. What they have in common is that the repetitions they provide are less and less faithfull to the original (just as a rocky wall would do, BTW). The first digital delays were obviously sold as "better" than the analogue ones because they provided repetitions 100% faithfull to the original signal. Think for example of the ElectroHarmonix "16 seconds delay".

Fast forward to 40 years later, what is "better"? I don't have any other answer than this one: it all comes down to your own tastes and needs.
For example, I tend to prefer BBD delays precisely because their repetitions degrade over the time: I may be nostalgic of a time I've barely known, I may like the way they behave similarily to real world echoes... I'm not sure... but I always use "degrading" delay devices... and just a couple of days ago, I was in a situation where I preferred a digital delay, for a particular sound.

In conclusion, there is no conclusion :D
I hope this brings some reflection elements to you!

Doddos

Post by Doddos » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:20 pm

As Stiiive points out - it has a lot to do with what sounds you prefer or would like to achieve, when it comes to delay effects. I have an early EHX memoryman (77-78) that I used regularly with my voyager as it made the voyager sound warmer with it's gradually distorted BBD signal. However, I didn't like it that much with my Rhodes piano where I instead use a digital Roland re-20 space echo. I think it mimics the tape echo very well and it's very versatile. Whith the voyager gone, replaced by the minimoog, I still wanted the analog "BBD-sound" but a little bit cleaner sounding delay. I tried some new boxes and finally choosed the MXR carbon copy, it sounds very good.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:57 pm

Thanks for everyone’s insight it’s appreciated. I remember those memory man’s. I I-remember the Rhodes as well being that I had one along time ago. I don’t have a vintage Rhodes anymore. I use a Yamaha CP300 stage piano for my Rhodes Electric piano sounds. I can record what I play and even transpose it also has midi. I almost purchased a vintage suitcase Rhodes which was my favorite model but opted to go with the CP300 instead. I didnt want to have to deal with all the hassle and maintenance and cost with a vintage Rhodes. Thier great but the prices for them used now are astronomical. I saw that there is a new Rhodes being manufactured in the UK I believe that has to be preordered. They’re even more expensive then even the vintage vibe electric pianos which are expensive as well . They both are vvery nice but way to expensive in my opinion especially the new ones in the UK. You could get a OBX8 and a Prophet 10 Rev4 for the asking price of the new Rhodes maybe even a RI Minimoog if I remember correctly. I think the price was 15,000 . Not sure could be wrong but when I saw the price I knew right then I wouldn’t be able to afford it and that it was way overpriced not because I couldn’t afford it simply because it wasn’t worth the asking price at least to me and others I had heard say the same thing.