Eventide Space Pedal

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Eventide Space Pedal

Post by VCO » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:51 am

Is anyone using the Eventide Space Pedal ? I was thinking about getting the H90 although it seems thier backordered and would be three months before they were available I considered the Eventide Space but was wondering if anyone had experience with one and possibly the pros and cons. Thanks

markwilkins

Re: Eventide Space Pedal

Post by markwilkins » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:00 pm

I have been looking at the Eventide pedals for a while and just ordered the H9. I have been in the Strymon camp for a while and have three of their pedals. The Eventide H9 is kind of at "end of life" but (as I understand it) has the same algorithms as the Space and 3 others (modfactor, timefactor, and pitchfactor). At $100 more than Space by itself, it seems like a reasonable upgrade, although I suppose the lack of external physical inputs might be a detractor. The H90 does seem appealing (kind of 2 H9's with more physical controls), but its lack of availability and relatively higher price is less great.

All that to say, in theory, I should be able to provide a data point on Eventide Space (via H9) in the near future. In other words, this really isn't answer to your question. But I hope to be able to kind of answer soon!! :)

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 pm

I wasn’t sure if it would be better to get an eventide space and a Roland space echo RE202 instead of a H90 . I like the knob per function approach. I initially thought about getting a H90 to use with my OBX8 although I have a sequential pro3 and thought it would benefit from a Space Echo as well. I’m using the RE201 space echo with a Moog Voyager. I’ve heard the eventide space has a nice selection of reverbs and other effects. The Roland RE202 has some new features. I know the H90 has dual stereo inputs and outs although I’m not sure if it would be better to get two sperate effects pedals instead of the H90. The H90 is very expensive . I don’t like running apps with effects either. I just wonder if the two effects pedals would be better than just the H90. Interested in what others might think thanks

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:42 pm

What are the Strymon pedals like ?

markwilkins

Post by markwilkins » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:21 am

VCO wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:42 pm What are the Strymon pedals like ?
As with all of these types of things, I suppose it is quite subjective. I really like them. I have my Prophet 6 “permanently” routed through the Mobius and BigSky. It makes for a big rich sound that I am very happy with. When recording a song, I use less of them since it results in adding a lot of signal to a lot of the frequency range. I also have the timeline (delay/echo), which I have used much less … until I got the Model D. I have the Model D running through the timeline and it sounds pretty wonderful with a lot of different settings. It might be the nature of echo/delay effects that just work well with a mono synth (or maybe I simply don’t know what I’m doing … quite likely).

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:57 am

I think you’re right. A mono synth sounds great with reverb ,echo and delay effects as long as thier used with discretion and taste. I ordered that eventide space so I’ll see how that works with the Oberhiem OBX8. Sometimes the patches on the OBX8 have so much character that it sounds like it has effects already. I use that Roland RE201 with my voyager and the space echo gives it just the right amount of presence that it really enhances the sound. A vintage RE 201 space echo would be out of the question due to the cost and the obvious maintenance issues. That new Roland RE202 space echo
Utilizes the sound of four tape heads and also lets you select wow and flutter and also the sound of a new or old tapes which capture the sound artifacts of tape. The vintage Roland tape echos had a preamp that also added to the color of your sound. There’s nothing like the real thing but I have to be practical. I prefer analog synths and even analog recording but digtal is here to stay and has advantages that recording to tape doesn’t. On the other hand analog recording has a wider bandwidth and doesn’t distort like digtal does , has natural compression and acts like limiting.
The downside is the inherent noise that’s added with analog recording . Also there are less companies that make analog
Tape. I once considered getting a 24 track multitrack recorder used. I believe they were 2 inch tape. Those studers were real nice and expensive . The other issue you had to be concerned with were how much life the tape heads had left.
I remember Otari and MCI 24 track multitrack recorders. They suffered from the same problems with maintenance
That the RE201 space echos did. They all sounded really good if you had everything up to spec. So many recordings were done on analog in the 70s.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:57 am

I have a space, and a timefactor. I like them both, and prefer their's to the interface on the H9.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:12 pm

I was interested in the time factor. Isn’t that pedal mostly delays?

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:13 pm

Why do you prefer thier interface better than the H90? Thanks

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:14 pm

Sorry meant H9 instead of H90

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:23 am

More knobs for immediate control with no menu diving

I use them each on different signal chains, haven't tried combining them I guess you could though. They're each pretty versatile.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:33 pm

I just got my eventide space today and hooked it up to the voyager that had the Roland RE201 Space Echo connected to it before.I don’t run multiple pedals into each other like some guitarists do. That space is pretty deep . I notice it doesn’t take much before you can get lost in a wall of sound. Best to have discretion when tweaking knobs. Less is more when it comes to effects. What do you think of that Eventide Timeline ? My goal is to have decent effects on all my analog synths. I’m going to get one more pedal I’ve considered the RE202 or the timeline. I should probably get the timeline being I already have the RE201. I know how to operate the RE201 and it’s laid out differently than the space . I’m still trying to learn what everything does. I wish the space had a dedicated volume knob. I read you can set different volume settings for each preset. I don’t really know how to navigate the space yet. It seems pretty deep.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:35 pm

How do you think the eventide time factor compares to the strymon timeline?

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:46 pm

I saw a review comparing the timefactor to the timeline. While both pedals were considered good they preferred the timeline since it had more presets, liked the algorithms better and the cost was less. It seems eventide and strymon are two major players in the game so to speak at least that’s what I see being used the most although there are other choices as well. But for the more expensive pedals they seem to be rivals. There’s so many pedals being offered it would seem hard to keep current with all of them. My application is simply to use it with synths . Many of these pedals are focused with guitar players in mind even though they can be used with line level instruments as well.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:33 pm

I read about the Mobius vs the timeline saying the timeline was more versatile. I would think the Mobius would compete with the eventide mod factor. Sometimes I wonder how many of these effects overlap in a company’s offerings.