Problem with 2022 minimoogs aftertouch

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Re: Problem with 2022 minimoogs aftertouch

Post by VCO » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:46 pm

When you say inti a sound do you mean start start with a patch that you have to create from the vey beginning or do you mean I could select a patch like B124 for instance which already exists as a factory patch called Emerson saw .
I did as you instructed and made sure the selector potentiometers were moved prior to selecting the correct setting. I didn’t get the aftertouch to work but I’ll try it again in case I made an error in selection or possibly not moving every potentiometer prior to selection. thanks

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:17 pm

Do some voyager patches have the after touch programmed into the patch and maybe other patches don’t have after pressure programmed? On the sequential Pro3 I don’t have to select any routing the aftertouch works. Granted two different manufacturers and two different synths. If it is the ribbon being disconnected then no after pressure at all.
It would be easier to assess if the ribbon cable was intermittent and the aftertouch was cutting in and out. Thanks

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:26 pm

I wonder if the sensors under the keybed are bad . I wasn’t sure if people that have voyagers have experienced this.

till

Post by till » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:38 am

VCO wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:46 pm When you say inti a sound do you mean start start with a patch that you have to create from the vey beginning or do you mean I could select a patch like B124 for instance which already exists as a factory patch called Emerson saw .
I did as you instructed and made sure the selector potentiometers were moved prior to selecting the correct setting. I didn’t get the aftertouch to work but I’ll try it again in case I made an error in selection or possibly not moving every potentiometer prior to selection. thanks
I mean using the function to set all parameters of one sound onto specific values. This init will create the very same sound and settings on all Voyagers (except the Old School of cause). As this sound is the very same, no matter what you do, it is ideal to check things.

There a snipped from the manual:
To create your own sound from scratch, it’s good to start from the Voyager’s default parameters. This can be done by the ‘Initializing Parameters’ command. Press the EDIT button, and press the +1 button until INIT PARAMETERS is highlighted, then press ENTER. Use the CURSOR button to select ‘Yes’ and press ENTER. This loads the default parameters temporarily into the current preset location. The default sound is a basic one-oscillator square wave sound–think of it as a blank canvas for your sonic creations.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:37 am

Ok thanks I haven’t tried it yet but I will. I read one of your old posts about aftertouch. In comparison on the sequential pro3 I don’t have to do anything. I just select a patch and the aftertouch just works when I depress the key. I would assume on the voyager every patch doesn’t implement aftertouch? It’s to bad that aftertouch is problematic and even more problematic when I don’t know what I’m doing. Also buying it used makes me wonder if there might have been problems with the aftertouch. It’s either me or the voyager I’m just not confident in my user knowledge to know if I’m just not selecting things correctly

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:18 am

Yeah aftertouch on the voyager needs to be setup per patch, unless you use a preset that already has it.

I used aftertouch on the D reissue patched to filter cutoff, seemed to work fine IMO. I think there's a trimmer on the back so you can tweak it, too.

Doddos

Post by Doddos » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am

It might be a good thing to check the aftertouch cable on the LHC (left hand controller). It's a simple 3- or perhaps 4 pin connector that eventually might get loose through the years. I remember it was quite easy to disconnect on my voyager OS. It might be glued from the beginning, but if it has been serviced for some reason, and not reglued, it might get loose.

To check this, you'll need a Phillips screwdriver for the 2 screws holding the LHC at the left of the keyboard. Lift up the screws (and the washers) and gently pull/lift the LHC. Look for a small (~10 mm) transparent ribbon cable coming from the keyboard. Follow the ribbon cable and check that it's connected thoroughly on the LHC pcb socket......

Just to sort out the easiest thing....

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sun May 14, 2023 8:34 pm

Getting back to the problem with the 2022 Mini’s aftertouch, I finally posted my analysis/fix on ModWIggler: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273949

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon May 15, 2023 9:45 am

Well that's really impressive! Kudos for figuring it out & posting a solution

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Tue May 16, 2023 9:50 am

sdwillingham wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:34 pm Getting back to the problem with the 2022 Mini’s aftertouch, I finally posted my analysis/fix on ModWIggler: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273949
Thanks for doing that! I emailed Moog and Source Distribution in the hope that they fix this at the factory ASAP.

Interested to see if the mods that the MUSE kit offered on the 2016 model can be implemented in some way in the 2022 version. Stuff like fixing the mod switches tuning error, adding legato only glide, mod depth on aftertouch and attenuated modulation via the wheel would be welcome.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Tue May 16, 2023 11:17 am

Yes, the MUSE functions are rather handy, though somewhat pricey.

By my understanding of the new hardware, I think that if they chose to, Moog could implement pressure-activated modulation depth, variable mod wheel sensitivity, and variable pitch bend range, all in a firmware update.

If I were them, I would consider such an update as a goodwill gesture to regain customer loyalty in compensation for the recent QC issues.

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Sat May 20, 2023 2:04 pm

sdwillingham wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:17 am Yes, the MUSE functions are rather handy, though somewhat pricey.

By my understanding of the new hardware, I think that if they chose to, Moog could implement pressure-activated modulation depth, variable mod wheel sensitivity, and variable pitch bend range, all in a firmware update.

If I were them, I would consider such an update as a goodwill gesture to regain customer loyalty in compensation for the recent QC issues.
That would be wonderful. If they could fix the modulation button pitch offset error (which the MUSE kit solved) that would be great too.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sun May 21, 2023 4:43 pm

Which pitch offset are you referring to? Turning VCO modulation on/off when the mod wheel is at 0% ? On my 2022, this is about 7 cents, pretty small, due to offsets in the new modulation circuit. (From the factory, the offset was more like 11-12 cents, but I reduced it with some resistor substitutions.)

With the old passive mod wheel circuit, I would not expect much offset when the mod wheel is at 0%. The offsets when the mod wheel is advanced should be similar to vintage MM. Not great, but authentic. So I’m curious what you observe.

At any rate, it is impressive that the MUSE kit can fix this. It requires added circuitry. Not something that can be done by just the Moog hardware/firmware.

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Sat May 27, 2023 2:00 am

sdwillingham wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:43 pm Which pitch offset are you referring to? Turning VCO modulation on/off when the mod wheel is at 0% ? On my 2022, this is about 7 cents, pretty small, due to offsets in the new modulation circuit. (From the factory, the offset was more like 11-12 cents, but I reduced it with some resistor substitutions.)

With the old passive mod wheel circuit, I would not expect much offset when the mod wheel is at 0%. The offsets when the mod wheel is advanced should be similar to vintage MM. Not great, but authentic. So I’m curious what you observe.

At any rate, it is impressive that the MUSE kit can fix this. It requires added circuitry. Not something that can be done by just the Moog hardware/firmware.
Correct, the tuning change when switching on the oscillator modulation button. I was getting a one semitone offset at certain settings.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:46 am

I get near a full semitone offset, but only when the mod wheel is full-on. This offset arises in the modulation sources and the mod mixer circuits (before the mod wheel). I’m pretty sure this occurs for all vintage models. Only MMD16+MUSE eliminates the offset in this configuration.

When I have some spare time, I may investigate this further. I have no qualms about modifying my MMD in the areas of control voltages.