Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

2015 voyager vs Minimoog 2022

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:21 am

If you could only choose one which would you get? Money not being an issue

VCO

Re: 2015 voyager vs Minimoog 2022

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:10 am

They both would sound and play great. Either one would be sonically sensational. I know they can sound different and do sound different. I guess I would go with the voyager since it has presets and all the modulation capabilities and the dual stereo low high pass filter. I’ve played a model D when I was 16. It would be interesting to have them hooked up side by side to AB the difference. What I’ve read though is the original modelDs filter is brighter and has more high end content.
To have both would be great but know I’m fortunate to have one of the two.

Doddos

Post by Doddos » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:11 pm

I just traded in my voyager OS for a new model d and feel happy for that. I've had my voyager OS for 12 years, made the slew rate mod as well. Although the model d has far less modulation capabilities and lacks other functions compared to the voyager, it outmatches the voyager sonically in my ears.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:29 am

VCO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:10 am They both would sound and play great. Either one would be sonically sensational. I know they can sound different and do sound different. I guess I would go with the voyager since it has presets and all the modulation capabilities and the dual stereo low high pass filter. I’ve played a model D when I was 16. It would be interesting to have them hooked up side by side to AB the difference. What I’ve read though is the original modelDs filter is brighter and has more high end content.
To have both would be great but know I’m fortunate to have one of the two.
I had them booth for a while and A/B compared them. Before I did that I thought they would differ more but was surprised as the had some sweet spots where they sounded very similar but also different with other timbres. They are booth great instruments but different beasts. It ended up I sol the Voyager as it is the Model D ReIssue timbres I headed for with the Voyager. The Voyager replaced my old Model D 2007 that I regret and now happy again with the Model D ReIssue.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:17 am

That’s cool that you have a new model D Minimoog. I’m happy for you. I saw one of your utube videos. I assume it was your video it said analog prophet. I think it was the OBX8 video you did. I would like to get the Minimoog model D reissue
although for the price I would get the OBX8 if I had to choose between the two for the same amount of money being I don’t have a analog poly synth and that I have a voyager and a pro3 and a karp odyssey which I don’t use much . I prefer memory in the voyager and pro3 to the karp odyssey. I wish I hadn’t got the odyssey since it has mini keys. It sounds ok though but it can’t really compete with the voyager and the pro3. I think the full size odyssey was overpriced for what it offered feature wise. I would opt for the subsequent 37 for the price instead although the subsequent 37 costs more now. I’ve seen full size karp odysseys used that might compete with a used subsequent 37 price wise. I like the way the 2022 RI looks it has class and I like the way it looks compared to most voyagers. I have the lunar impact voyager that has the 896 presets and the flashing mod and pitch wheels. I like that the voyager has the stereo filter and sync.
It would be cool to have both the voyager and the model D but it would be to expensive. I got the voyager used for 2500
The pro3 new for 2100 special edition and also I use the Roland space echo pedal on the voyager which was around 300
For the space echo total all three for 4900 , The voyager and the pro3 are different soundings synths .
The voyager and the pro3 are my favorite synths. I’m really a jazz piano player that just uses synths. Glad I got the voyager when I did since i wouldn’t be able to afford it now.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:20 am

Sorry made a mistake in my reply’s realizing now that there were two different posts.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:25 am

Glad both of you now have modelD minimoogs

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:43 am

I here people say they prefer the sonic character of the modelD over the voyager maybe it’s the sizzle in the higher frequency’s I think I read the voyagers filter doesn’t open up like the modelD does. Maybe that’s why there’s a preference
for some people. I heard a utube video of a moog modular rebuild it sounded great. Maybe the fact the model D
has only one audio output , I assume the 2022 RI has one audio out, could also be a factor in why it would sound different. Plus a different circuit design than the voyager.

till

Post by till » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:23 am

The Voyager and the Minimoog (all versions) got different VCO design.

And a different way the ladder filter was built. The transistor array chip CA3086 was used on the Voyager (3 chips per VCF). The transistors on this array are way more all in the very same specs and therefor like well matched as if using individual discrete transistors. On the Minimoog, only the top and bottom pair were a matched pair. And the capacitors of the ladder stages are not of the same capacity either. Therefor a different filter sound is something rather expecting.

BTW: The Moog source used a CA3046 transistor array for the top and bottom matched pair of the filter and not minimoog like matched discrete transistors either.

Concerning the mono versus the stereo audio out:
If you use a single of audio out channel (not mixing two for mono), the Voyager is still sounding different from a Minimoog.

I got my Voyager modified with the slew rate modification by Rudi Linhard (the german Mr. Minimoog). And this way the VCOs got more high frequency buzz. And therefor the sound of the VCOs is nearer to the Minimoog. I would say, with this modification they are even brighter sounding then the more dull late Minimoog VCOs (3rd VCO board) built into Minimoog serial number above #10175 (I own a 1979 Minimoog from this series). But the VCOs of the Voyager with the slew rate modification are not as bright as the earlier Minimoog versions or the reissues. The reissues are not based on the late Minimoog, but on the version 2 VCO of Minimoog serial number below 10175.

As I own a 1979 Minimoog, two 2017 Minimoog Reissues and a Voyager with the slew rat modification, I can hear the differences. And I like the Voyager mainly for the modulation possibilities ad the two filter design.

I once had the chance to listen to a vintage Minimoog with the second VCO board revision. And the sound matched th Reissues. But the Reissue was way better calibrated in pitch. But also the well known brand with a "B" did a good sounding Minimoog. I am unable to tell the sound differences between their small sized Mini and a second revision VCO Minimoog. The A/B nearly as close as my two Reissues side by side. The B-brand also used the second VCO revision of the Minimoog as starting point for their clone.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:06 am

You are very knowledgeable. It would appear there is a difference. In your experience do voyagers tend to drift?
I read about moog using Mylar caps instead of the right capacitors which caused drifting. You seem very technical minded you would understand the technical aspects. I’m not sure if my voyager has the Mylar caps or not. I heard about the Rudy Mod before. I just accept that my voyager drifts. My sequential pro3 doesn’t drift at all. My voyager is still my favorite synth even though it drifts. I’ve heard the orginal model D minimoogs drifted. I always have to tune my voyager before I play it. It seems to hold it’s tuning while playing though. I just wonder if moog synths are known for thier drift. Other people have said thier voyagers drift as well. Not sure how common this is.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:27 am

That’s cool that you have all those different minimoogs. I would think they would sound great if you midied the ones that have midi together . What an awesome sound I would think. You could play two part Bach inventions easily and then switch between the two pairs with different settings on each Minimoog. You must really like the Minimoog. I would be
Happy just to have my voyager and a new 2022 reissue LOL do you have any interest in the 2022 RI? Your half way on your way to having as many minimoogs as Rick wakeman. I saw his Minimoog and Eddie jobsons Minimoog for sell on the internet. They both were a lot of money. Eddie Jobsons Minimoog had been modified. Of all the minimoogs which one is your favorite? Maybe the orginal modelD from 1979?

till

Post by till » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:49 am

My Voyager is rock solid in pitch from day one on (2004). It just needs the typical good old analog 20 mins of heating up to be ready.

I used to love my 1979 Minimoog (with self made, clear covered beech wood housing) as a wonderful Minimoog. But I always wondered, why some Minimoog on records sounded so different. After playing a Minimoog at a friends collection, I noticed the different sound character of the VCOs of the VCO revision #2 versus my #3 VCO board.

And when I played a friends Reissue, I noticed the sound of the second and not the thrird VCO board version again. So I bought one and then another 2017 Reissue. Never regraded this. The Reissues do sound more like what we hea on the seventies LPs than my good old 1979 Minimoog.

So sonically I do prefer the Reissues. But I love my 1979 Minimoog still for it was my second real synth (first real synth was a Moog Prodigy; still working fine) and the self made housing.

I haven't yet had a change to play a 2022 Reissue. But I bet there are no sonically differences. And as I got the MUSE board installed both of my 2017 Reissues, I miss not a single new MIDI feature of the new 2022 Reissues.

The Voyager is not a Minimoog to me. It is just a Voyager, and not a Minimoog Voyager like stated on the front batch.

And finally, I do not prefer the darker brown colour of the 2022 Reissues.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:08 am

What is the MUSE board? It would be cool to have a Minimoog RI 2016 or 2022. Your deep into the Minimoog. I saw a utube video of three different minimoogs thru out the years. This guy restores moog synths. The video even showed one of the minimoogs that had those two buttons for the glide and release before moog changed to the switches. Also the
Mod and pitch wheels were different on the different years. And he knew all about the different oscillator boards that were used. He was like you he knew all bout the Minimoogs technical aspects. I think he said the first RA moog had a certain growl that the others didn’t have since they changed the way the filter would distort on later years. He also mentioned the musonics Minimoog.

till

Post by till » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:38 am

VCO wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:08 am What is the MUSE board?
The MUSE is an Austrian made board you install in the Minimoog Reissue (2016-17 versions only) to get certain MIDI functionality not available on these Reissues (but available on the new 2022 ones). It also allows to use aftertouch to control the modulation depth . This is a feature I like when playing live. This way I can play a solo with vibrato while using the left hand for chords or bass on a different synth.

Have a read here: https://www.virtual-music.at/en/moog/#1

Sequence:

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Seems like another level of expression. The aftertouch on my sequential pro3 works better than my voyager. I assume that it most be difficult to get aftertouch to behave in a way that works well . A curve response instead of it acting like a gate. I don’t really use after touch much. When I do I use the sequential pro3 because it responds better than the voyager. I usually just use my left hand for the mod and pitch wheels. I should really get a expression pedal.