Help! Mod-wheel on Minimoog Reissue doesn't do LFO and acts like a pitch-bend

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Nitrofunk

Help! Mod-wheel on Minimoog Reissue doesn't do LFO and acts like a pitch-bend

Post by Nitrofunk » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:24 pm

Hi! I've got a problem with the LFO on my Minimoog Reissue: When I push the mod wheel there is no "vibrato"-effect, no matter what speed I select with the "lfo-rate" knob. It just changes the pitch down. All the source knobs are set correctly. HOWEVER: This problem only occurs from time to time and goes away when switching the Mini on and off again (sometimes a few restarts are neccessary). I got the Mini five years ago; the problem occured perhaps six to seven times in the last two years. A few hours ago it did again: I hadn't turned on my Mini for several weeks. Any ideas what causes this problem?
Thanks!
Peter

VCO

Re: Help! Mod-wheel on Minimoog Reissue doesn't do LFO and acts like a pitch-bend

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 am

How does your pitch wheel behave? I know on the voyager the operating system has options to select the pitch range for the pitch wheel. I’ve never changed it though. Maybe you mod wheel settings got changed somehow. I’m not sure how the Minimoog reissue is . Is it possible that you have routed your mod wheels destination somehow to pitch ? Hopefully it’s a setting you can change to get it to return to normal if that’s the case. I’m not sure about the Minimoog reissue but on my voyager I have the 3.5 operating system. I know that moog has used Mylar caps on some voyagers
That caused them to drift not being the right spec. I wonder if you might have an issue with a electrical component that might be causing your LFO to act like that. Good luck hope you can resolve your problem. I would contact moog.

VCO

Re: Help! Mod-wheel on Minimoog Reissue doesn't do LFO and acts like a pitch-bend

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 am

Is there a factory reset function for the Minimoog reissue that would set it back to defaults? I don’t understand how things may or may not be controlled digitally on that reissue. Odd that it seems like a intermittent problem since you’ve had it happen a number of times.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:17 am

I may say the obvious, but let's give it a try.

Sometimes, having a real fast modulation ongoing on pitch can get the perceived pitch to slowly vary when increasing the modulation depth.
You may want to check whether the modulation source selectors (potentiometer + switches) are not in position for a pitch modulation by OSC3.

Nitrofunk

Post by Nitrofunk » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:15 pm

Didn't use my Mini for a few months now. But today, at a rehearsal, I had the same problem: When using the pitch wheel, there wasn't any vibrato-effect, but only a pitch-change. Had to restart the Mini about four times until it worked as it should. Any ideas?

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:05 pm

Did you mean mod wheel? The pitch wheel would change pitch the mod wheel would add vibrato if things were working
Correctly.

Nitrofunk

Post by Nitrofunk » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:56 am

Sorry, I meant the mod wheel of course.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:44 pm

I thought maybe you meant mod wheel wasn’t sure. It’s a drag when things don’t work like they should especially at
The price of what a Minimoog reissue costs. Unfortunately I’ve come to the realization that Moog while making instruments that are coveted have issues with sub par quality control. I don’t believe I’m being unfair in that criticism.
I’m not the only one that has experienced this . My voyager has issues as well . It occurs too often Hopefully your issue can be resolved. Moog shouldn’t have nearly the high number of issues for being such a premium brand in my opinion.
I’m not sure what exactly is the reason , I can only speculate. Hopefully your issue gets resolved without complications.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:43 pm

I may be asking the obvious, but was the LFO speed super-slow or super-fast?
Or was the Controller set to filter env?

Nitrofunk

Post by Nitrofunk » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:16 pm

It was set to a "normal" speed; all switches were set correctly. The odd thing is that it went back to normal after a few restarts. So I guess it has something to do with the power, perhaps? Ah, and the power supply is ok: I've got two power supplies (one is a spare), and the Mini shows this behavior with both power supplies.

Nitrofunk

Post by Nitrofunk » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:43 am

Does anyone know what's up with the Moog tech support? I wrote them several times and didn't get any response from them. :(

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:02 am

Potentially dumb question: are you using the model D's power switch to turn it on & off?

I've had weird issues like that if I didn't use the power switch on the synth ( with a cpu, grandmother for example ) and used a powerbar/external switch instead.

The D RI has a cpu managing firmware etc so that could mess it up.

Nitrofunk

Post by Nitrofunk » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:38 am

I usually use the power switch, yes. But when this lfo-issue happens, I sometimes pull the power cable out of the mini and put it back in (after having switched the unit off, of course).

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:03 pm

Ok good to know!

Have you tried reinstalling or updating the firmware?

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:26 pm

Where do you find Model D firmware and instructions? I don’t see any applicable download on Moog’s support site.