Quartal harmony

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Quartal harmony

Post by VCO » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:13 am

I know some people that use the Minimoog may tune the three oscillators to a perfect tonic a major third a perfect 5th getting a major triad in root position. And likewise use the tonic and the 5th and tune one of the three oscillators to a minor third. I usually don’t do that. I thought though you could tune the three oscillators to intervals of a perfect 4th. Starting on CFBb then playing the roots of a C Dorian mode the scale is CDEbFGABbC playing all the diatonic notes as roots would give you quartal harmony through out the scale moving left to right. So the quartal chords yielded from the scale would be
CFBb
DGC
EbAbDb
FBbEb
GCF
ADG
BbEbAb
CFBb
You could also use any type of scale and just play the scale intervals of the scale and as long as the three oscillators are tuned to 4ths you would get 4th chords moving diatonically in regards to the
Scales intervals. You could use Lydian or Lydian dominant or even whole tone. It’s an easy way to get diatonic chords from a scale without having to use arpeggios. You can tune the oscillators to any chord quality and plug them into a scale and have those chords move the intervals in relation to the scale intervals. You could even use diminished scales. Whole Half and Half Whole. And you could use
Tiads Major Minor Diminished Augmented in root position 1st inversion and second inversion tuning the oscillators to the intervals of the chords position