Voyager vs modular

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Voyager vs modular

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:31 am

For those of you that have a voyager and a moog modular. How close does the Minimoog voyager get to a modular
Sonically? Is there a difference in sound that is obviously noticeable? I know there’s different Modular’s from the model 10 and model15 to the system55. I can’t remember how many oscillators the system 55 has I thought maybe it was 6?
I would think things like that make a difference in sonic footprint. And of course if you add more modules to the signal path. I know some might even use thier voyager as a controller for thier modular. Are you limited to cv then? I’ve seen
Syntisizers.com have cv to midi. Didn’t know if sone of the moog Modular’s did or not thanks

Strider

Re: Voyager vs modular

Post by Strider » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:01 pm

I have never had the pleasure of hearing a modular directly, but I like using two Voyagers in unison to get a really big sound. That plus some good spring reverb makes it sound like an old modular system. Bonus points if you can make the glide exponential (I believe the Voyager has a combination of linear and exponential glide).

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:58 am

What an awesome combination. I midied my voyager to my pro3. It was a massive sound. Having two voyagers would be sonically sensational. All the possibilities would be endless. Great for performance and not having the cons of a regular modular. You could set all six of those oscillators to different ranges for one huge sound. Set them to just one range for a huge sound. 4 mod busses total. If you had the versions that had 896 patches you could mix them quickly in a performance setting. Sync and stereo filters times two. FM sounds would be over the top as would the modulation capabilities. It would be expensive . Expensive as some Modular’s. I’ve read some people use more than two voyagers .
I would opt to get a analog poly synth though for that kind of money since I don’t have one. I would wonder if you would have drifting problems. You would think but aside from all of that it would be an awesome sound. Take care although some people have the moog modular system 55 and that would really cost a lot. Even the model 10 and 15 are expensive
I think having two voyagers is the way to go and gives you capabilities that a traditional modular wouldn’t but moves you closer to the sound of a modular with performance capabilities. I’ve never heard a modular live either. I always wondered what multiple voyagers would sound like.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:13 pm

Is there a certain spring reverb that is used more often than not? I simply use a Roland space echo the pedal one.
I’m not familiar with Modular’s. Didn’t know if they had one audio output like the orginal Minimoog model D. It would be nice to have a real spring reverb or a real space echo. A friend had a real tape echo and I remember the tape unraveling and falling on the floor. His wasn’t a space echo. I know there are more companies that make them but they are expensive. I know some people use them for the way they color the sound. I knew a guy that had a Sony dash recorder 24 track he got used and the tape for them was real expensive and I think there was either one or two companies that made tape for them . I think the total recording time was something like 15 minutes for 24 tracks. I believe he had another one he kept for parts. I know those tape heads playback and record would have only so much life and were hard to find and expensive. I wanted to get an analog 24 track but it never happened. I wonder if most people that have a modular run it into a recording console with nearfields. Although maybe I’m assuming those large Modular’s like 5U. I know some people play out live and use eurorack. I know some people use tier moog voyager to control thier modular. I wish I had got into modular. I would think they would have a certain sound and of course you you learn synthisis. I’d settle for two voyagers though ,you must have a great sound. Take care