IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE MOOG SYNTH

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE MOOG SYNTH

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:18 am

Some users on this forum have multiple moog synths. If you could only have one moog synth , which one would it be an why? Thanks

VCO

Re: IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE MOOG SYNTH

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 am

I would choose the moog voyager, presets, memory,aftertouch,velocity, dual filters,midi,dual modulation buss stereo outs,cv ins and outs,fatar keybed. Your mileage may vary

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:07 pm

I think my Moog One. The Model D is a close 2nd for me.

Moog One has so much to offer - a lifetime of exploration.
Model D is just such a classic and an absolute joy to play.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:45 pm

The one you have LOL in my case the voyager it’s the only moog synth I have. And I can really have only one. Hope you guys aren’t selling your kidneys to fund all those moog synths LOL

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:04 am

Digital Man I saw you on the sequential forum. Is it me or is that verification you have to fill out to post or reply difficult? This Moog Forum is great, makes communication and posting easy. I know am not used to the sequential forum but it seemed counterproductive. So many questions you have to answer. I was going to try to post to you but gave up because all of the hoops you have to jump thru
Lucky you lol. And yeah that Moog One is great. you have so many moog synths you should call your MoogMan LOL take care

kendallhalbert

Post by kendallhalbert » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:41 pm

Wow that's a tough one. Probably the Taurus. It still gives me goose bumps.
Original Model D, Taurus 1, Source, Minitaur, Voyager RME, One 16 voice

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:17 am

Tough one indeed.
I cannot answer, to be honest, even limiting the possibilities to the ones I've already played.

My main band/stage synth is a Little Phatty; I feel really at ease on it and I guess it would be the only one left if the choice had to be based on usefulness only... although I like it very much.
The MG1 always has a nice surprise for me... very charming and playful. I don't play it often but it is always a joy.
Now, for the "symbole", the Model D or Voyager OS I had the chance to play are obvisouly serious candidates.
Opus 3: very, very charming synth too... err, first world questions :]
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:25 am

That Opus 3 is rare. Came out in 1980. That’s great that you have that one.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:44 pm

I actually parted with it because I couldn’t find a place for it in my music. I just fiddled with it from time to time.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:16 pm

if I could only have one Moog synth, I guess I'd pick the Keith Emerson modular recreation

8)

That'd keep me busy for a while, and be a lot of fun.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:20 pm

That is a monster of a modular. My drummer friend Tony Pia played drums forKeith Emerson I’m not sure if Keith was still using that modular when my friend played for him. Only 150,000 dollars for that remake. It’s ironic that the Minimoog
Help keep Moog afloat back in the day since Modular’s weren’t selling well. Maybe I should say it’s ironic Robert Moog was against it. Reminds me of how Lauren’s Hammond was against the Leslie speaker. Strange how certain musical innovations were disliked or flat out rejected by pioneers of electronic musical instrument design . Sometimes the innovators vision is different then what becomes accepted. Good thing the Minimoog was designed duringsomeones lunchtime break. Otherwise I would never have the Minimoog voyager. I remember the fender Rhodes was invented and used for rehabilitation of veterans coming back from the war. Harold Rhodes invention of the electric piano was iconic
Just like the Hammond organ/Leslie and the Minimoog.

Lowboy

Post by Lowboy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:47 am

My answer changes a lot over time, and I go back and forth on this question quite often.

But today, even though I own a Voyager and a Model D and a Sub Phatty 25, my favorite is the LP Stage 2. It is fun and easy to play, easy to transport, and I can get that over-driven-oboe kind of tonality from some of the factory presets in the 60 to 70 preset range with just minor tweaks to the resonance. I love that "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" sound.

Lowboy

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:09 pm

Traffic and Stevie Winwood is great. I like the way he solos on a Minimoog. I also remember all his hits and also the Arc of a Diver Album. That was released a long time ago. He’s a classic, great song writing, great voice , great instrumentals .
I think he was 16 when he was with Spencer Davis. Gimme some loving and the Hammond Organ plus he played guitar as well. Multi Talented

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:52 pm

Lowboy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:47 am my favorite is the LP Stage 2. It is fun and easy to play, easy to transport
I'm somehow glad this good ol' LP appears here :)

Lowboy

Post by Lowboy » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:08 am

Lowboy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:47 am My answer changes a lot over time, and I go back and forth on this question quite often.

But today, even though I own a Voyager and a Model D and a Sub Phatty 25, my favorite is the LP Stage 2. It is fun and easy to play, easy to transport, and I can get that over-driven-oboe kind of tonality from some of the factory presets in the 60 to 70 preset range with just minor tweaks to the resonance. I love that "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" sound.

Lowboy
And just the other day, after thinking for years that the 16 Sub Phatty presets were not for me, I reset the factory presets and found—due to the simplicity of the Sub Phatty interface and the deeper modulation programming of the presets from the factory—that I could actually “play” the instrument more in real time.

With only 31 knobs and just a couple of switches, I can take those factory presents while playing with other musicians and quickly and predictably move the sounds in directions that are very pleasing to me. I declare the presets are great for real-time tweaking.

I just can’t do that quickly and predictable in real-time on a keyboard with 40 knobs and 74 switches (Subsequent 37 for example), at least not with the amount of time I have to play with my keyboards. Could be my old age. I like things simple now. :-)

So maybe I am entering my “Sub Phatty 25 is the holy grail” phase, which will probably last a few months until I dig out my Voyager and rediscover it. :-)