Slightly crooked key on my Voyager OS

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mrjonathan

Slightly crooked key on my Voyager OS

Post by mrjonathan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:41 pm

Hello, everyone! Perhaps you can help me.

As you can see in my screenshot, one of the F keys on my Minimoog Voyager OS is slightly crooked towards the left. What’s the easiest way to fix this? Do I need to replace the entire keybed? I have 10 screws on the bottom of the unit if that helps ID the type of keybed.

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
4FC43FBD-48CD-40E6-98DD-3BDAEBE2A341.jpeg

VCO

Re: Slightly crooked key on my Voyager O

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:37 pm

It seems that between E and F there is a smaller amount of space between those two as compared to the rest of the keys in relation to each other. The others appear to me to have a wider gap. In essence I’m saying the amount of space meaning gap that is between keys. Upon playing the keyboard do you notice when you depress the keybed any resistance or do any of the keys as you play left to right feel as if the amount of travel is less before it hits the bottom and you can’t depress the keys anymore being there is no more room to travel and it stops? How fast do the keys return once you let off of them? Especially between E and F. Maybe there is something between the E and F
That is stopping the keys travel and causing that gap. Have you recently moved your old school voyager? Was it placed inside of a case?

VCO

Re: Slightly crooked key on my Voyager OS

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:41 pm

I noticed between F and G seems to be the widest gap between keys when I. Looked at your picture again. Do you know how old the synth is? Are you it’s only owner? Is this the first time you noticed this?

mrjonathan

Post by mrjonathan » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:52 pm

The serial number for this Voyager OS is in the 600s. I’m not sure when it was manufactured. I’m the second owner, and yes it was recently shipped to me.

Other than the appearance, the keyboard action is fine.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:53 pm

Now when I think about it would seem more logical to think there might be something between F and G that is making the key appear to have less space between E and F. That would be the result if something was between F and G pushing it to the left and less of a gap between E and F as a result

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:23 pm

I know there’s bushings in keyboard actions. Sometimes debris gets in between keys. I don’t know what they do for synth actions but on pianos they do an action regulation when the spacing and the travel is not working correctly. How quickly a key returns is important as well what happens when you depress a key. An action regulation is costly for a grand piano and is time consuming. They clean and oil and replace any parts if needed. I would think there isn’t much to a synth action in comparison to a grand pianos action, so hopefully it would be an easy and cost effective fix. I’ve had individual keys replaced on a synth but never the whole keybed. There’s also springs . Wonder if there is something that happened to the springs. Good luck I hope it’s an easy fix for you. I need to have an action regulation for my piano due to the fact certain keys won’t return correctly. It drives me crazy. I hate it when keys don’t function correctly good luck

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:40 pm

I think the voyager uses a fatar keybed. I have a sequential pro3 and I think it’s a fatar action as well but not absolutely sure. The voyagers keybed action feels different than the sequential pro3.
I prefer the voyagers keyboard. The pro3 keyboard is excellent as well. Out of all the synths I have owned the keybed on the moog voyager and the sequential pro3 are the best.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:29 pm

Do you gig with your voyager OS? I thought did something happen during transport? If you gig with it do you use a soft case? Did your voyager OS fall or maybe have contact with something? I once had a synth fall off a A frame and broke a key. Just trying to figure out what would cause your key on your synth to move or shift. That synth that I have that fell was a korg Z1 and it damaged the pitch wheel
As well and it didn’t move freely anymore. It stuck because it got bent from the fall.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:34 pm

Was someone playing your synth that maybe you didn’t know about ? Like maybe a kid ?

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 pm

The other times I’ve had musical instruments damaged were when I setup or tore down gear or had other people involved in setup or tear down and when I’ve transported equipment to and from storage . Sometimes not realizing until after that my instruments had been damaged. Hope you figure out what caused the problem.

Doddos

Post by Doddos » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:57 am

mrjonathan wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:41 pm Hello, everyone! Perhaps you can help me.

As you can see in my screenshot, one of the F keys on my Minimoog Voyager OS is slightly crooked towards the left. What’s the easiest way to fix this? Do I need to replace the entire keybed? I have 10 screws on the bottom of the unit if that helps ID the type of keybed.

Thanks for looking!
If the key is working as usual I would let it be, but it's a fairly simple process to lift out the whole keyboard for inspection and cleaning. With 10 screws on the bottom it's a Fatar keyboard (some voyagers had another keyboard brand during a shorter period).