Pre amps with a voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Pre amps with a voyager

Post by VCO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:50 pm

I have two avalons I’ve used with my voyager and it made the voyager very loud. The voyager is very loud when I use it without adding anything else to the signal path. Does anyone use any pre amps with thier voyager or Minimoog?
Basically I’m using two mono pre amps on the voyager which of course is in stereo. Thanks

ummagumma

Re: Pre amps with a voyager

Post by ummagumma » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:15 am

I usually record DI. Does the Avalon have a line in? When I DI, the voyager output volume is around noon.

If I were miking it up thru a cab I would use a preamp though.

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:42 am

I’m using those Avalon DI U5s I don’t have them with me thier in storage. I got them years ago . I just got them because I read that they worked good for keyboards. I don’t use them with a cab. I just used them to color the sound. Really though the voyager gain is so powerful thier not really needed to increase gain. Right now I just run the voyager into a Roland keyboard stereo amp I believe it’s the kc 550. I bought them along time ago. I have two of them but am only using one right now. I think thier 180 watts. So if I ran them together it would be 360. I don’t have any studio gear set up right now.
I moved from an apartment to a house. I had my piano in storage and now it’s at the house. It cost alot of money to move it . It was also expensive to tune. It’s an august forester made in the DDR east Germany and is about 42 years old. It’s a 6 foot 4. So technically it’s 8 inch’s shy of a semi concert grand. I have some Mackienear fields. And 24 tracks of adats that were never used. I tried to start a studio in the late 90s .that’s when I acquired alot of my gear. All the Hammond organs and Leslie’s are in storage as well., which I’ll be getting out since storage fees are expensive and are going up. I have other synths as well. I have even a korg Z1. That’s a pretty good analog physical modeling synth that came out a while ago like 20 or mor so years lol alot of the gear I have is from the late90s. I’m guessing I’m a synth fanatic. Sadly I could never get my studio up and running. I was always trying how to figure out how to get a building for the studio. But equipment and a building was expensive. I had the equipment but never the building. Plus I was going to music school at the time and had to many things going on. Take care I’m listening to A studio electronics SE-X audio
Demo it sounds great and is real expensive.. what’s the difference between a musician and a large pizza a large pizza can feed a family of four. I knew three drummers that made it to the big time. Always a brides maid never a bride. Just to survive is a noble fight. I met them when I was in Denton Texas. I went to Texas to enroll at north Texas state, it’s known for jazz , but I spent so much time trying to survive I never had the chance to enroll. Take care always nice talking to you

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:52 am

If I turn my voyager up past three volume knob wise it rumbles the wire racks above it. It would be even worse if I had both amps connected together. Right now I just have the grand piano, a Yamaha cp300 stage piano, the sequential pro3,the moog voyager and the roland re201 space echo pedal. I’ll tell you all the synths I have later I’m to embarrassed to admit my adddiction. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:17 am

I would just use the line in and out for a synth. It had a high voltage input for a guitar cab it had switch’s for different preset eq curves. It has a gain knob I bielve it went in threeDB increments. It would be easier for you to just goggle
Avalon u5 DI pre and read the specs I can’t remember all the specs I used it in a simple application to try to get coloration into the signal path. I know one thing it was expensive then and even more expensive now lol. I wanted to get a neve pre or a trident but we can all dream can’t we lol. I even talked to John ORAM on the phone once cause I was trying to figure out how to get a recording console and at that time he had his own brand of consoles that were supposed to have that British EQ like the trident series 70 B . I wanted to get a studer or maybe an Ontario 24 track 2 inch machine used. I know a guy in my hometown that bought a Sony dash recorder off of eBay, this was long ago.
I wanted to have a proper studio and had looked at amek and api consoles used as well as mci consoles that were used from this guy that sold used audio equipment in Nashville Tennessee.