Grandmother compared to a voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Grandmother compared to a voyager

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:26 pm

Was wondering if any voyager owners had a grandmother as well and was wondering how they might differ sonically.

ummagumma

Re: Grandmother compared to a voyager

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:54 pm

Wow, totally different. But they compliment each other well.

GM is like an old modular sonically. Juicy. I really like the reverb.

Voyager is more modern sounding, hi fidelity, I guess you could say. Stereo filter sound options too.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:16 pm

The grandmother is semi modular. I don’t know if I would feel comfortable with patching it. Do you just play it being that it’s normalized. I guess that’s what you call that. Like a patch bay. Sadly I depend on presets for two reasons . Performance and my vision is so bad. I have what is called low vision. I might come across a cool patch by accident on my voyager but I never save anything. I’m worried about destroying any presets. Most of the time I set one oscillator to the lowest setting , one oscillator to 8 or or4 or2 and the last oscillator to 1. It’s 32, 16,8,4,2,1 isn’t it? I thought the voyager had that high oscillator setting that other moog synths don’t. Can’t remember though. I would think the sussquent 37 would be closer to what I want. Never understood why they made it with one audio out in mono instead of stereo. I saw that the mixer section has more headroom. It sounded great in the demos I listened to. I think a grandmother or the matriarch would be awesome it they really did sound closer to a modular. I can’t remember all the different features each has. I think one has a spring reverb and one has an analog delay? Can’t remember for sure. Thanks for your reply. I value your opinion take care I think Moog music does a great job making presets. I don’t think I could do better. I know some people make great presets I’m just not one of them. This is what it’s like when you play piano but like synths. You gravitate toward the TV dinner and don’t cook lol. I’m lame. I do what I do and I am what I am. Ask me to emulate herbie Hancock bill evans McCoy tuner and I can do that. Except that I’m 2 percent of thier abilities. I’m not worthy lol ok maybe 1 percent or less. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:16 pm

I would love to have a grandmother but it would ruin my chances of getting a sequential prophet5 rev4. Limited funds endless wants. I used to have a oberhiem obxa and got rid of it. I bought it for 500 bucks from a studio in Dallas Texas in the 90s. Iit also came with a Kenton midi device and sequencer modules. Wish I had kept the obxa it had the sound and you could pan the stereo spread. I have a lot of rompler synths it’s sacrareligious I know lol. That’s when the sample based synths and samplers were the rage. I regret every analog synth I’ve ever sold. I do have an ensoniq fizmo from 97 it’s almost virgin mint. Played it only once. Thier rare and there seems to be a following for them and the prices they fetch is crazy. It’s a trans wave synth. But analog subtractive synths are still my favorite . I have some physical modeling synths like the Yamaha an1x and the jp8080. They sound good but nowhere close to the sound of the voyager. There’s nothing like the real thing. I’m glad I got the voyager when I did in 2015 when I found out they were going to being discontinued.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:10 am

I haven't patched it up much, I should. It sounds fine with everything normalled.

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:01 am

Don’t you play guitar as well? Ii listened to your music and heard those guitar parts, sorry can’t remember which instruments you played on that I remembered the bass and drum parts and I listened to a few different tracks you had posted and they were different from each other. I don’t play guitar I should have I tried once but it hurt my fingers so bad and I hadn’t developed the toughness you needed to play the guitar and it would hurt if I tried to play keys after that so I quit the guitar and traded it for some effects units. I had invested time on the piano but wasn’t willing to invest the time it would have took to learn guitar. Piano is more akin to drums, which I played hand drums for a little while. I even had a Roland hand sonic which was really cool. And I had seen that zen drum on the internet but it was a lot of bread and I think you even had to have a separate computer. At least the Roland hand sonic samples were in rom and I got turned on to it by a friend of mine that played piano and the hand sonic for a dance class at a university.
He was much better at it then I was. The university even had bought an Alesis Andromana sorry spelling is lame. That analog synth I think they released around 2000, which was great and now they go for a lot of money they didn’t understand how to use it.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:53 am

Sorry I asked you if you played guitar as well. I got confused I went to a website to listen to a forums member music and
Confused it with you. I went on utube to listen to the grandmother demo and it was impressive. It would be so cool to have a 5u modular I think that’s one of the modular formats. I went to synthisizers.com and saw those Modular’s that are moog copy’s but less expensive then a moog modular. But even those cost as much as a used grand piano. I wish I had learned electronics and engineering then you could build your own but I’m sure the machinery would be expensive. Probably surface mount technology although I don’t know take care

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:34 pm

I have a voyager, voyager OS, and a Grandmother and the GM is very different from the Voyager. I really have enjoyed the GM and patching abilities and find it a super fun and lovely sounding synth but different than the Voyagers sound. I'm not sure, but would expect the Matriarch more similar to the Voyager with it's stereo filter with spacing capabilities.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:30 pm

What’s the voyager old school like? How might it compare? I know it doesn’t have any memory or patches or even that touch surface. It doesn’t have midi does it? Does it have after pressure or velocity? Although maybe I’m wrong in my assumptions. I thought it was sort of like having a Minimoog but without anything digital on it. Sorry just couldn’t remember what it’s features were. Are the oscillators on the Old School Voyager variable like on other voyagers?
I learned that some analog synths use digital envelopes or something. Sorry just don’t know where I rember reading that.
Can’t be sure you don’t want to quote me. I thought the synth Donald Fagan destroyed was a arp odyssey , and someone posted a link where it said it was a different arp model. My memory can’t be trusted anymore. It would be cool to have a grandmother. I I would be weary that I wouldn’t know how to patch it even though it’s normalized. It’s sounds great though. I can’t remember what years the old school were made. How would you compare and contrast the Minimoog reissue to the old school ? Maybe that would be closer in comparison?
Thanks, value your opinion

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:15 pm

I love my Old School. It makes it onto most of my tracks. It is basically the same analog part of the original Voyager - has all of the same features (including continuously variable sharps, etc.) and the modulation is a little more customizable. Otherwise, its a voyager without any of the digital stuff including Midi. It has lots of CV abilities. Oddly, I use it much more than my voyager - in fact think the voyager is going to go on Reverb soon. Its no longer in my setup to make room for my OB8X.

VOS was around 2003 I believe https://gearspace.com/gear/moog/minimoo ... old-school

https://youtu.be/CRsZFo9dOF8 jump ahead to 2:05 for my VOS solo :) and a taste of the Model D.

Voyager OS vs Model D reissue - they are very different in sound. I have (and LOVE) a model D reissue.

Re Grandmother - I wouldn't be shy about the patching on the GM. It's super fun and interesting. The synth without any patching is very playable and can make great sounds.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:12 pm

That new OB is great. It’s cool how they have incorporated all those different past models. I use to have an obxa. Regret that I sold it. I bought the obxa used for 500 dollars in the 90s. That synth had such warmth and presence. I would like to get the prophet5 rev4. The OB is in stereo though and it sounds lush. I’m sure that prophet ten sounds great too. Don’t know why they didn’t do it in stereo considerig they added all those other contemporary features. That OB is way expensive.
Nothing sounds like an oberhiem though. I think it might even sound better than the moog one although you can get that with 16 voices. They both would kill lol. Even in the 8 voice version. I always liked the sem oberhiem. If the oberhiem is expensive than the moog one is a kings ransom lol. Congrats on that OB. With Dave gone I would think the prophet might start to rise in price. I would think that ne OB will become a collectors item. Look what happened with the voyager and the Minimoog reissue prices thier in the stratosphere . Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:16 pm

Like your music. Are you in London England? I saw London to the left of the screen.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:02 pm

You have great synths. You even have that moog model 10. You sound call yourself modular analog man lol. When are you going to get that Emerson moog modular reissue? Lol. Actually my friend who lives in LA played drums for Keith Emerson before Keith passed sadly. I think you should keep the voyager thier starting to skyrocket in price as well. Not trying to tell you what to do even though i just did. Really like your music keep up the good work. If you live in London that would be even cooler. All that great music from the 60s and 70s. British groups were pushing the envelope. From prog rock to space rock I love all those genres. All these great analog synths they have nowadays. Back when all the digital synths and samplers came out analog synths could be had for not much money. Minimoogs would go for a few hundred dollars. I will always regret I sold that obxa. I even once had a sequential circuits pro 1 that’s what sequential was called way back then. For me though analog rules. Never was a fan of the Yamaha DX7 although that synth put moog , sequential, and Rhodes out of buisness. If late 90s synths ever become back in fashion my synths will be sold since I have a lot of synths from the late90s. I have some physical modeling analog synths but analog is the real deal.
Keep up the good work, like your music

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 pm

OBXA for 500 - wow! Too bad you sold it. So far loving the OBX8, it really does have the legendary sound. The One is amazing too but much more work to coax a great sound out of it I think.

Thanks and no, I live in the non-cool London Ontario (Canada) lol

Not sure about the Voyager - site in it's road case for now. Might sit on it before I decide.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:38 am

The model 10 and 15 Modular’s sound great. I was just looking at the various components in each . Was reading some
Posts at mod wiggler about the moog model 10 and a person was asking if it was worth it for the price. Other people were talking about how much of a larger modular system could be purchased for comparable money. The one person
Stated that he purchased his synthesizer .com modular it was one of the larger Modular’s roger sells. Have you ever
Checked out synthisizers dot com? I read that they sound great and do a very good job at copying moog Modular’s at a lower price point. But of course it isn’t a moog and that’s what matters to some people. And I thought my sequential pro3 and moog voyager were expensive lol great synth happy for you.