Pink Floyd’s any color you like

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Pink Floyd’s any color you like

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 pm

This was the 8th track on dark side of the moon which was released in 1973. I was ten at the time and wouldn’t play a Minimoog until 6 years later. And of course a Minimoog was just a dream back then and unobtainable. To me this Minimoog solo by Rick wright was classic and when I think of the original model d this is the song I associate the sound of a Minimoog with. Pink Floyd another innovative rock group some call them the aristocracy of space rock was ahead of thier time. Classic album by a classic band another one of a kind.

ummagumma

Re: Pink Floyd’s any color you like

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:05 pm

This song blew my mind when I first heard it. Still my fave track on the album.

Alan Parsons explained they used multiple tape machines ( 4? ) to get the minimoog echo FX, oldschool real delay line. Same technique used on "us & them" vocals.

Intended as a quadraphonic panning device, from the start, I believe

Funny, this is actually playing in the other room as I type this! Synchronicity.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:46 pm

Alan parsons project simply great. You mention tape machines . I saw the Beatles 8 track tape machine that they used on sgt pepper at the rock and roll museum of fame in Cleveland. I think it was a studer also saw Jimi Hendrixs crème colored Stratocaster and Geri Garcias guitar as well. About 5 years ago I played on this kids track at a recording studio in Pittsburgh . They were using a trident console and pro tools. The engineer told me a story about roger daltry being there at the studio having a meltdown because someone was smoking a cigarette. He was in town recording something while he he was on tour. I love The Who and all those classic albums from tommy to who’s next. Pete townsend used that arp 2600 on baba oreily. That kid I played for in studio didn’t even know who roger daltry was and was bummed I was talking to the engineer lol. All that British rock was great. Still love it brings back memories of my childhood. Those times were different and there will be nothing like that ever again sadly. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:34 pm

My friends aunt when she was 16 years old saw Led Zeppelin and also Pink Floyd and even has the ticket stubs from both of those concerts. Not many people can say that.I was young at that time.
I must have been 7 years old when the Beatles released the abbey road album where thier walking across the zebra crossing, I think there’s that Volkswagen in the picture as well. I think they broke up in 1970. I think the abby road album was released in 1969.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:23 pm

I've avoided the R&R HOF because I think the organization is a crock of ****.

They had the audacity to display Keith Emerson's Hammond, and ELP had never even been inducted!

YES never got inducted until after Chris Squire passed away either. Screw them.

Check out EMEAPP. They're doing a better job archiving historic gear.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:59 pm

I’ve never heard of that organization. I have two Hammond organs a chopped c3 and a c2 and 5 Leslie’s. I acquired them from a man that lived in a small town near me. He used to get all these hammonds from small country church’s. He sold classical organs and had a collection of pipes from old theatres that had organs in back in the day.. he had them in a barn. Sadly he’s gone. But if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have all those vintage hammonds and Leslie’s. I think Keith Emerson used 12 Leslie’s and hi watt amps. I once had 4 Leslie’s hooked together and it sounded like a hurricane lol. I blew the relay though. The 122 Leslie is balanced the other models like the 147 and 145 aren’t. I always wanted to meet Keith Emerson since my friend played for him but my friend lived in LA. I wanted to try to get a lesson with him. I was going to try to take lessons from a jazz piano players named Geri Allan she had been married to Wallace Rooney who played with Tony Williams. She even had Tony Williams and Ron carter play on one of her albums. But sadly she she became Isick and passed so it never happened. She received an Honorary doctrit from the Berkelee college of music and even had been awarded other honorary degrees. She taught at the university of Pittsburgh. Hammonds are great thier like minimoogs part of keyboard history. King of the tonewheel organs. They came out in the thirties. They were never intended to be used in the way they were. They were supposed to be a cheaper alternative to pipe organs. They were adopted instead into jazz , rock, blues, gospel and prog rock. One of my favorite hammonds is the A100. It had speakers internal and you could hook it to a Leslie as well. The fender rhodes the Hammond organ b3, c3,a100 organs and Minimoog are some of the most important keyboards in vintage keyboard history. I remember you taking about the Mel lotion. I played a model400 in a music store in Washington pa when I was young this had to be in the 70s. You seem to know a lot about pink Floyd especially with the moniker you use. I suspect you know a lot about prog rock as well. My friends uncle told me about that album that’s your moniker. I looked it up it . Have you ever listened to piper at the gates of dawn? Pink Floyd’s first album. I love David Gilmores solo on comfortly numb. Gives me goosebumps. I know the chord changes to it on the piano. Take care always nice taking to you

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:04 pm

They're close to Pittsburgh. Or maybe it's Philli? Sorry I'm not American. Pretty sure it starts with the letter P

https://emeapp.org/

You will lose your mind if you walk into that place. They have Keith's modular too.

Register on their site, then you can browse, it's a fantastic resource.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:05 am

Maybe I have seen them I think before. Moog reissued Keith Emerson’s moog modular. It’s a mere 150,000 I think. I’m amazed they even have a customer base for those. You would think it’s really small. I wish I had gotten into modular but I went in another direction. I’m really just a jazz piano player. I remembered a story abut Keith Emerson. He used to use an L100 Hammond organ before his c3. I don’t think b3swere that easy to find in england. He was playing a gig and people were ignoring him. He got so upset he started kicking and throwing knives at his organ. People went wild and loved it. They thought it was part of the act. After that he realized that for him to be successful it had to be a show. So he included his virtuoso keyboard chops with his modular and his pyrotechnics technic antics lol. Take care nice talking with you Keith would sometimes wedge a knife between keys to get a certain musical effect. I think those knifes were from ww2. Can’t remember how he got them though