Voyager and pro3

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

Voyager and pro3

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:08 am

Does anyone have and use a sequential pro3 in conjunction with a moog voyager? I have both synths and have midied
The voyager as the master and used the pro3 as a slave. I would be interested in learning how others might have used these synths. I haven’t used the cv ins and outs on either synth. Was interested in how others might aproach using these two synths. Thanks in advance

Beethree

Re: Voyager and pro3

Post by Beethree » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:26 am

I have both. I have never midi'd them together. In general if I am after something quintessentially Moogy I go for the Voyager, even though the Pro 3 can do that respectably. I am more inclined to go to the Pro-3 if I want to make use of the waveform oscillator or tuned feedback, or the non-Moog filters. All of which are Captain Obvious answers. I take the Pro-3 and it's built in effects out live more often.
Sometimes in my studio it is just which one I happen to be closer to at any given moment. :)
The Moog One sits on my Rhodes right by my desk so I can just wheel around and use that . If I want a mono part that does not come right away on the One, I go to one of the above, or the Subsequent 37, which never fail. There are certain things I know to go right to the S37 with, certain things I know right to the Voyager with, and the Pro 3 fills in the gaps. They are all aces in my book.

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:53 am

Those are some great synths you have. Don’t think I could ever afford a moog one. I’d like to get that sequential prophet5 rev 4. I’ve midied my voyager, the pro3, and a Yamaha an1x I have together and it sounded great. I used a patch called Floyd 75 on the an1x and used lucky man patch on the voyager , can’t remember what I used on the pro3 . The an1x and the pro3 stayed in tune though I had to tune the voyager to the other two. I had a Roland space echo re201 pedal on the voyager and of course the pro3 has its own effects and the an1x has effects built in as well. I don’t really midi them anymore I just use the pro3 to get a seq going and tune the. Voyager to the pro3. I moved the an1x
Off of my Yamaha cp300 stage piano we’re it resided. I can tell a difference between the an1x and the seq and moog. Even though the an1x sounds good it can’t compete with the pro3 and the voyager sonically being thier real analog. The build quality of the an1x is weak compared to the voyager and the pro3. It sounds good though. I don’t like the an1x keybed it’s cheap feeling compared to the voyager and pro3. The an1x is pretty old it’s like I think 27 years old. I usually use it as a slave and use the Yama cp300 as a master controller since it’s keyboard action is better and is weighted, closer to a Rhodes ep action. Nice to meet you take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:00 pm

I just realized what your moniker might be inferring. Do you have a Hammond B3?. I have a chopped C3 and a C2 plus 5 Leslie’s. A 147 a145, a 122, a 47, and a another Leslie I’m not sure which model it is.
Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:38 am

What year is your rhodes? Is it a mark1 or a mark2? Is it the stage piano or the suitcase? I had a flat top mark2 73 key stage piano. Had it around 1980 and traded for a used poly moog keyboard and a case for it. The poly moog synth was better than the poly moog keyboard. I also bought a used rhodes in a pawn shop for 300 bucks.

I know they came in either 73 key or 88 key. And even a 54., for the stage piano. I slways wanted the suitcase 73 but settled for the stage piano. I must have been about 16 years old when I got it. Have you seen that new company I think thier in the uk that’s makes the new rhodes ?. Thier made to order and are really expensive. I’m sure thier fantastic but really expensive. I can’t remember if it was that mark7 chick corea used. I also remember those Janus speakers I think they were called. Way back. I even bought a fender Rhodes piano bass when I lived in Boston mass. The kind the ray man Jerick of the doors used . Sorry my spelling is lame. I even remember the Rhodes chroma that one that was arp and Rhodes merged or was that just the arp synthesizer company? Can’t remember it’s so long ago. I played a Rhodes chroma at eU wurlitzers in Boston when I went to school at Berkelee college of music.and bought the Rhodes piano bass from daddy’s junky music. The rock group the cars studio was right down the street and a girl in my ear training class met Rick ocasic sorry lame spelling. The prophet 5 was all the rage then. I had put money down on an roland sh101
But never went back to pay it off . I had a sequential circuits pro 1 around 81 but don’t remember what happened to it.
So long ago but the Rhodes was great and very heavy and I think it cost me around 900 dollars or so and I also remember tha micro moog being at the store where I bought the Rhodes from. My first synth was an arp.
It was really old and was before the pro soloist came out. Wasn’t really much of a synth though. It had rocker switches for the presets and it had no controll over the envelopes or even oscillators. I’m not sure what technology was used. It had a filter though and it would go wow lol. I got it from a guy that had a real vintage arp oddsey but I didn’t even understand what that was let alone how to operate it. But that arp synth was probably made very early on. Not sure what I did with it either. Probably like 43 years ago. But I always dug the Rhodes and all my keyboard hero’s had them. I use a Yamaha cp300 for my Rhodes sounds now. Take care, cool that you have the real thing.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:36 am

What do you think of the moog subsequent 37 ? I choose the seq pro3 over it because of the pro3 had so many innovative features. I know the subsequent 37 is an evolution and I like the way it sounds but I was surprised it had only one audio output. I know the pro3 is known for its powerful sequencer. Do you think the subs sound is weaker since it has only one audio output? Iremember seeing a comparison between the matrix brute, the pro3 and the subsequent 37. They all sound good and do what they do but if you could only choose one which would it be and why?appreciate your
Opinion being that you own 2 of the three, I don’t have any experience with the subsquent37 and I know some people really love that synth. I know it has a sub oscillator , can’t remember if it has sync. And of course it has presets and memory. What do you think of the seq on the subsequent compared to the pro3? Thanks. Hope I’m not asking to many questions. Take care

Beethree

Post by Beethree » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:40 pm

VCO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:36 am What do you think of the moog subsequent 37 ? I choose the seq pro3 over it because of the pro3 had so many innovative features. I know the subsequent 37 is an evolution and I like the way it sounds but I was surprised it had only one audio output. I know the pro3 is known for its powerful sequencer. Do you think the subs sound is weaker since it has only one audio output? Iremember seeing a comparison between the matrix brute, the pro3 and the subsequent 37. They all sound good and do what they do but if you could only choose one which would it be and why?appreciate your
Opinion being that you own 2 of the three, I don’t have any experience with the subsquent37 and I know some people really love that synth. I know it has a sub oscillator , can’t remember if it has sync. And of course it has presets and memory. What do you think of the seq on the subsequent compared to the pro3? Thanks. Hope I’m not asking to many questions. Take care
The main reason for the Pro 3 to have stereo outs is that it has built in stereo effects. It does not have stereo filters like the Voyager. And I guess you can pan stuff around in the sequencer. It does have a much more advanced sequencer than the S37 (neither of which I use) and 3 oscillators to the S37s 2+a sub. Overall if I could only keep one it would be the S37, taking other gear out of the picture. With the other Moog gear I have I might lean the other way. But if I was to have only one mono synth, and it had to be one of those two it would be the Moog.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:43 pm

I see. I guess one of the reasons people gravitate to the pro3 is because of the 3 different filters and it’s modulation capabilities. I guess I’m hung up on synths having stereo outs. I know the Minimoog and the prophet5 had only a single audio out and there were many recordings done with those iconic synths. Read a good post on Reddit as to why synths
Used single audio outs back in the day thanks for your input. What do you think of that moog one? That must be a beast.
Do you have the 8 or the 16 voice?