Minimoog Voyager and Elektron (Rytm MKII)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Designbureau

Minimoog Voyager and Elektron (Rytm MKII)

Post by Designbureau » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:21 am

Hello,
I am new into MIDI. I used to control my Voyager (RME) by voltage (VX 351 & 352).
Now I want to control it for the first time by MIDI whit my Elektron Rytm MKII.
I had no problem getting first control over 2 things (Note, Length (where Lengt is Volume release on the Moog) by just conecting a MIDI Cable and choosing Channel 1 for both machines. But no Velocity or other control. Im new in MIDI and I am lost as I could not find information about how to map outgoing MIDI from the Elektron to the needs of the Voyager. It sounds obvious that there must be a way to control Velocity or Aftertouch. I even do not know if I can map things like Filter frequency or even an LFO of the Elektron to the Moog? Thanks

stiiiiiiive

Re: Minimoog Voyager and Elektron (Rytm MKII)

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi!

I don't know the Rytm in particular, but you are looking for:
- how it can transmit velocity and/or afertouch
- possibly what is the MIDI Continuous Control numbers (aka CC#) the Voyager receives veolicity/aftetouch on (this is pretty standard, consult the MIDI chart of your Voyager.

MIDI in a nutshell is like this: on a given channel, the "master" will transmit notes event (note on, note off) and CC data, that the "slave" will receive and interpret. For CCs, the CC# must match between the master and the slave, just as for the MIDI channel , which you discovered by yourself: congrats on that :)

Anyone with a Rytm, please chime in and precise!