Mini serial number / date anomalies

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
pingpongpete1

Mini serial number / date anomalies

Post by pingpongpete1 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:21 am

I’ve been looking at a Minimoog which throws up some intriguing questions.
It looks stock but actually has ten-turn potentiometers on VCO1, VCO2 and general Tune, using the same knob instead of an EMS-style Vernier, so it still looks totally original. But the plot thickens: the serial number on the case is 12810E - not sure what the E is about (I’ve never seen one like it, but might it mean export?? - it is UK power supply). There is a horizontal mark over the 1 which could just about make it a T. The serial number sticker inside says 10149, the oscillator board is 2832, the pots on that board date to early 1973, and the dates on the main case serial number sticker are all July 1973. Maybe the owner had a specific idea of 'the best Mini' and found a way of getting it - but it still doesn't explain why the sticker says 10149 but the dates of manufacture don’t tally with that.
Ribbed white mod wheels, textured panel, Moog Music nameplates, Williamsville factory.
Any ideas?
Peter

biggigjohnsonvegas

Re: Mini serial number / date anomalies

Post by biggigjohnsonvegas » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:51 pm

I have a minimoog model d handed down to me from my father the manual says its a model 204 d and the manual also says Norlin. there is no serial number on the outside of the back case, as I opened it up under the pitch wheels there is a number etched in the metal on the underside of the wheels Arville N.Yit says "10416' On the kkeybed assembly it says 121774 ads on on the bottom of the top key on the keyboard it says 138 inside of a circle in a colored stamp form that same stamp is on the underside top corner of the pitch wheels witch also has the metal etched numbers "10416" what year was this awesome synth made? I remember my father buying this from a store up in New York Statethe factory it was made in Willamsville NY
any help would help