External Audio Input through Vintage Model D?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rien

External Audio Input through Vintage Model D?

Post by rien » Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 am

Hi! I have a fairly analog studio and I love vintage analog gear as effects instead of internal digital effects. I am looking for a device that could provide LFO manipulation for tracks, similarly to how a pedal would be working (meaning, run the signal through the device and effect it with its LFO’s). A vintage Minimoog Model D has been on my wishlist for decades now, and that would have been the best possible solution, but I don’t think I can run other tracks through it and re-record them, right? It’s a self contained unit? I know the reissue does have that option, however.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and if the Model D is not a possibility then I’d love to hear what other possibilities do exist within Moog’s vintage products.

Thank you so much!

till

Re: External Audio Input through Vintage Model D?

Post by till » Sat May 22, 2021 3:18 am

The external audio input is available on the vintage Minimoogs too.

But the LFO is only able to modulate the filter cutoff of the external audio. Of cause not the pitch. And these is no onboard way to use the LFO for other modulations such as volume.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

stiiiiiiive

Re: External Audio Input through Vintage Model D?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat May 22, 2021 5:49 am

Hi rien, welcome to the forum! :)

Hi till! :)

Till precised it, but I was about to ask: what do you want to use the LFO for exactly?
Pardon me if I statethe obvious, but an LFO is just a invisible, automatic hand that moves buttons for you (iow: it modulates parameters). Till mentioned that the Minimoog's one will only modulate the filter frequency.

If that's what you want to do, and if you're interested in a cheaper alternative, you can consider the MF-101 which will offer more that the Minimoog as an external effect - not as a whole instrument, of course. The MiniFooger MF Drive also embeds a modulable filter but you cannot bypass the overdrive stage. Finally, inbetween, a Minitaur, Sub Phatty (or any Sub-somethin' or somethin'-Phatty) will allow this too, even if I understood the Model D is the one you've been drooling for :D
That's only for talking about Moog gear.

Hope this helps!