Pitch wheel and key/gate issues on my voyager OS

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Doddos

Pitch wheel and key/gate issues on my voyager OS

Post by Doddos » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi!
I've got a minimoog voyager old school that I bought new about 10-11 years ago. Last year I started to notice that the pitch wheel was somewhat instable - small movements sideways (i.e. not up and down) would cause slight changes in pitch. The wheel feels a bit loose, but I guess thats normal as the mod wheel is a bit loose sideways as well.

I was in contact with moog and changed the pitch wheel trim pot to a new one, but sadly it didn't help....it's still unstable. Is there anyone else with the same problem, or perhaps someone with a good idea?

The other problem is a strange one.....the lowest key (F) on the keyboard will not keep it's gate signal if I engage more than one key above. Example: If I press the low F and keep it pressed it will keep on sounding again if I play another key and release it. But if i play legato with two higher keys, while keeping the lowest F pressed, it will go silent when I release the other two.

The Voyager OS has last key priority and this behavior is not normal - all other keys works as expected, but the low F will loose it's gate signal if 2 or more higher keys are pressed simultaneously.

I asked moog for advice, but the answer was to get in contact with my service center in Sweden. I did so but haven't heard from them.

Anyone out there with the same issue or if someone have a clue on this would be great as well.

Doddos

Re: Pitch wheel and key/gate issues on my voyager OS

Post by Doddos » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:36 am

Although no replies on my topic, I'd like to share how the problems with my #350 voyager OS got solved.

I haven't heard anything from moog service/support center after asking about help. Niether did I get any reply from the authorized service center in Sweden after some initial contact. No offense - but I think the service is non existing....

However- I got in contact with Mr Rudi Linhard at Lintronics in germany and had a very nice mail correspondence that ended up with the descision to send my voyager to him. Rudi made the slew rate modification, fixed the pitch wheel, exchanged the keyboard (that happened to be the chinese version) to a used Fatar keyboard. The bottom plate for the Fatar keyboard was delivered from another company in germany. It was obviously hard to get in contact with moog music to order a new fatar keyboard, hence the solution with a used keyboard in good condition.

After about 4 weeks I got my voyager back, safe and i good shape. The delayed time of shipping was due to the problem to get a new keyboard.

Now, my voyager OS is better than ever. All my problems described above are solved. In addition to this - the velocity response is far better on the fatar keyboard (nearly useless on the former chinese one). The slew rate mod is great.

Thanks to Rudi who helped me with this - it bringed new life to one of my favourite instruments. Without his help and service nothing would probably happened.