Performer Edition vs. Electric Blue?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
JSRockit

Performer Edition vs. Electric Blue?

Post by JSRockit » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:08 am

I'm in the market for a Voyager. The one I was able to test was an Electric blue model. However, I will only buy the Performer edition. Is there any difference in quality? Will the knobs still have that solid feel etc?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:19 am

The quality is just as high on the Performer edition. The panels, pots and all circuit boards are exactly the same (except for the different-colored LEDs).

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:36 am

The early Signature/Performer editions had better quality knobs, more like Model D. My friend has an early Performer and when he did the hardware upgrade to reduce noise the service tech somehow damaged four of the knobs. The metal face on top of the knobs where missing when he got it back.
Of course my friend complained and they replaced the knobs with new one. The problem is that they are not exactly the same… The new don’t have the screw on the side of the knob, the same knobs I have on my Anniversary Edition.
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:19 am

But do they feel cheap? or are they still solid with some nice weight to the turn?

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:25 am

That's also true of the MF pedals.

They merely switched to a knob that presses onto the pot shaft as opposed to those using set screws. The former is quicker in assembly time. They are still Cosmo knobs with no difference in quality.

Twenty years later, the vintage market will pitch early Voyagers as those using knobs with "set screws" which makes them sound better :wink:

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:47 am

So, they feel the same...meaning definite quality?

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:09 am

I have MF pedals with both styles. They feel the same.

marc-1

Performer edition vs Electric Blue

Post by marc-1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:59 am

I have a Performer edition. I don't know if this is common with all models, but I've been told by a retailer that any version that has lights and a brightness knob on it will emit a high pitched whining sound the brighter you turn up the lights. I had one for a brief time--which I returned because of this--and I found it very annoying to have to choose between lights and noise. The last thing I want in my studio while I'm working is a high pittched whine. To avoid it, the lights have to be practically turned off. Obviously not everyone cares that much about this, or it would have been a big topic of discussion. I personally find it totally unacceptable, though I totally LOVE my PE, and wouldn't be without it. So, just that extra word of caution. Be sure to check that out before you buy any Voyager with lights.
Digital Performer, G5, Apogee i/o, MiniMoog Voyager Performer, Access Virus TI keyboard, Korg Oasys 76, Korg Triton Extreme, Waves, UA plugins

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:40 am

Unfortunately, the whine is an unavoidable fact. It is inherent in the design and I trust that Bob Moog, being the amazing engineer he was, did everything he could to minimize it. This makes the light strictly a performance feature, for the stage only (and to wow your friends). Luckily it does not come throught the audio outputs.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:02 am

i cant believe you returned ann electric blue becuase of the noise from the light control. its not like yours was any different to anyone elses! turn the lights off in the studio or have them on low. On stage its a lifesaver and you'll never hear the noise.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:46 pm

On my EB it's not noticeable until after about the 10 O'clock position.

And to hear it at 12 o'clock position I had to bump the Carver up 12db above my normal listening level before it really became much of an annoyance.

But, at least on my rig, there's really not much need to go past 9 o'clock position to get bright enough to see things clearly.

Heck, I'm kinda impressed that I can still hear something that high-pitched.

teothepink

Re: Performer edition vs Electric Blue

Post by teothepink » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:09 am

marc-1 wrote:I have a Performer edition. I don't know if this is common with all models, but I've been told by a retailer that any version that has lights and a brightness knob on it will emit a high pitched whining sound the brighter you turn up the lights. I had one for a brief time--which I returned because of this--and I found it very annoying to have to choose between lights and noise. The last thing I want in my studio while I'm working is a high pittched whine. To avoid it, the lights have to be practically turned off. Obviously not everyone cares that much about this, or it would have been a big topic of discussion. I personally find it totally unacceptable, though I totally LOVE my PE, and wouldn't be without it. So, just that extra word of caution. Be sure to check that out before you buy any Voyager with lights.
Are the lights very important on stage? I could turn them on a lil bit, just for sseing what I'm doing and not distorting the sound.