Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
David Smyth

Voyager XL Firmware Update Questions

Post by David Smyth » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:31 am

Hi there,

After trying to solve a signal output issue:

Voyager XL - mono output only for some filter modes
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33516

I thought I would try and reinstall/update to the latest firmware for my Voyager XL.

My Voyager XL has always had firmware v3.6 from 2010 installed. I searched the forum and heard there was a "newer" v3.6 from 2017 and/or also v3.6beta floating about on these forums from Rudi of Moog Music, so I hunted them down and have both downloaded. The new v3.6 links were specific to the Voyager XL whereas the v3.6beta was not, I assume that is for the general Voyager model.

I am using MIDI-OX to send Sysex firmware bank files.

So anyway I went to the Master Menu -> Receive Update -> Yes, and tried to send the new Voyager XL 3.6 firmware Bank B as recommended. It failed, perhaps because the speed settings were too high.

So now I'm in a state of limbo where I can't seem to get to a point to resend firmware Bank B.

If I go back to the Master Menu -> Receive Update -> Yes, it wants Bank A now. It fails anyway, despite updating the MIDI-OX settings to the recommended speed/buffer settings.

After rebooting the power, including trying the -1/+1 hold down trick, it wants Bank D.

So I fear I'm in no mans land. None of the transfers worked, even after fixing the MIDI-OX Sysex speed/buffer settings to the recommended. So perhaps no updates were received however the old firmware is probably half-erased or whatever. Either way when I turn it on it wants Bank D so it's not how it's meant to be run day-to-day.

Questions:

- Does the Voyager XL require different firmware from the regular Voyager?

- How do I get back to being able to send Bank B (recommended first firmware Bank)?

Any help would be appeciated!

Regards,
David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

RL

Re: Voyager XL Firmware Update Questions

Post by RL » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:44 am

Hi David,
get the original XL files here: https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/defaul ... 0/v3.6.zip
Send bank D when the Voyager asks for after power on.
If it's not possible then there are problems with your interface or PC drivers.
Rudi
Last edited by RL on Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

David Smyth

Re: Voyager XL Firmware Update Questions

Post by David Smyth » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks Rudi. I used my better MIDI interface and now I have installed your v3.6 XL firmware from 2017 successfully.

I used to have v3.6 firmware from 2010. I will now investigate whether this newer/reinstalled firmware has fixed my signal output issue or if I need to get the hardware looked at.

Thanks for your help!

David
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107