Original MiniMoog Serial 36##

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cj1973

Original MiniMoog Serial 36##

Post by cj1973 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:25 pm

Hello all
I am considering purchasing a classic with
a serial number 36##
As I understand it, this was built in Jan 1974.
Would you guys know much about the Minis of this year. I would assume it would have mostly 1973 components.
The seller is bringing it over to my studio next week. I would like to know what generally you feel I should look out for.
My use is strictly for studio along with a Kenton pro solo for midi.
If there is any information you would be kind enough to share about classics from this year/month, I would very much appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!

kendallhalbert

Re: Original MiniMoog Serial 36##

Post by kendallhalbert » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:18 pm

The earlier Model D's use the "old" voice card, which generally exhibits more tuning drift than newer models (i.e. S/N > 10175). There are simple circuit mods that can be implemented to improve this - such mods are well documented and can be performed by a competent tech.

I acquired a "newer" Model D that (curiously) had the old card installed (trim pots were relocated to align with the newer-style backplate). After tuning mods were installed, the unit is now remarkably stable and sounds glorious.

Also, you may want to consider Kenton's Minimoog MIDI retrofit (as opposed to the Pro Solo). It is an internal unit that must be installed by a tech. I really like it, primarily because it interfaces with the Minimoog at the circuit level; for example, it uses the synth's native LFO instead of the outboard LFO of the MIDI converter (as does the Pro Solo).
Original Model D, Taurus 1, Source, Minitaur, Voyager RME, One 16 voice