Torn: Original Vs Re-Issue Model D?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cj1973

Torn: Original Vs Re-Issue Model D?

Post by cj1973 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 am

Ive been looking for a dedicated unit for my synth bass requirements. I currently use an SE1X and an ATC-1 by Studio Electronics. Both are great. However I am looking for that Moog butter :) I have tried the Sub37 and Minitaur and both just hit the spot in terms of smoothness. The closest is the SE1X.
I can purchase a fantastic serial 3### original for 6.5K or an awesome re-issue for 6K. I am a record producer and a musician, so Midi is always used (I can go Kenton CV if I go with the original). I am truly torn.
I hear the difference and my ears are like the butteriness of the original vs the snappiness of the reissue. However, I am scared of maintenance costs etc too. I do feel the older keys on the original may also inspire me more, but i worry about it being a 45+ year instrument.
Can you all please shine some light on this and help me make a decision? Any serials to stay away from?
Thanks so much !!

Markyboard

Re: Torn: Original Vs Re-Issue Model D?

Post by Markyboard » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 am

At those prices...neither one. Not even at half the price but that's just me. You're a musician and producer? Make "butter" from Monarch or a Behringer Model D or Grandmother/Matriarch or whatever. No one listening will give a bleep about your butter and it won't change a thing as far as your bottom line goes. You only lose the bragging rights game on forums like these.

I have an original Model D and other classic analogs. But i bought them when there was no such thing as vintage. I guess that makes me vintage. Don't get me wrong, They're great, but not $6K great. Times have moved forward. No need to fantasize the past and ignore the limitation and frustrations that those before you endured.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:55 am

In general I think it’s more common with the classic Model D among collectors and the Re-issue Model D among musicians that require reliable tools. And of course some are, as I am, musicians and collectors.

If it’s for owning the history of an icon I would go for the classic Model D. If it’s for the Minimoog as an reliable instrument I would go for the re-issue. If it’s just for the sound of the Model D and nothing else and get the best value for the money I would go for Behringer’s Model D.

I had the classic Model D before but it was used less and less due to instability and frequently visits to the repair shop. I replaced it with the Voyager but was not happy with that as my intention was to use it as a Model D without issues (still the Voyager is a fantastic instrument of it’s own). Finally I bought the Model D re-issue and now I’m completely happy with it and wouldn’t trade it for a classic Model D due to the issues I had before.

Good luck with your purchase.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:10 pm

if I had to choose one for the studio I would get the reissue over vintage, for reliablilty & all the extra features

then pick up a Boog to throw in your backpack & not worry about going to jams etc 8)

but I found the Boog too small, and annoying to use for common tweaks while playing, compared to the full sized Moog