Does anyone, who owns the Voyager, hate it?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:00 am

You haven't dug deep enough...you'll find the truth..unless you want to believe that this mythical instrument is real.. a little hint ..go back and look at those trade show photo's..look at the boxes of other synths in the background..and the guy next to the synth...i've seen pictures of bigfoot that are more convincing...
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:36 am

P0LYM00G wrote:I don't think people understand the work involved in 3D modeling and rendering and then compositing into a real.
I do. I have been using Cinema 4D for 10 years! I think you really want this to be real so much, that this desire is clouding your judgement a little. Then again, you may be right to believe in it's authenticity, but if it does exist, where are the sample sounds? Surely, If you had produced a machine like this, you would shout it from the roof tops and draw everybody's attention to it, via a website with sound samples, etc? The photos on here are the only ones I have ever seen. In actual fact, I have never come across this thing before I saw your posts. I'd love this to be real, but I have grave doubts, I'm afraid.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Yes, Bob took a Voyager prototype to the winter NAMM2000 show. I was there and saw it in person. It wasn't just a mock-up, it was a work in progress and the electronics weren't finished yet. So he brought it to the show for feedback from attendees.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:15 pm

MC wrote:Yes, Bob took a Voyager prototype to the winter NAMM2000 show. I was there and saw it in person. It wasn't just a mock-up, it was a work in progress and the electronics weren't finished yet. So he brought it to the show for feedback from attendees.
Thanks, MC!

- Greg

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:14 am

Sound samples? Alesis created the Andromeda, the most sophisticated analog synth to date, and didn't have a single sound sample of it. Cwejman didn't either. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure Moog has sound samples either. That seems to go for many synth companies. Sound samples quite often come from the users of the synths. Also, I think by now most people know what synths sound like.

It's not the first time I've heard of this synth. That was a few months ago. I'm surprised how there seems to be very little overlap of people from one forum to another. If you're just hearing about it now, you're not getting around much. There were 120 posts on it in the Dutch synth forum alone. And after searching around it seems to have a history going back to the SMS 1000 which never seemed to come into existance. Seekers was or is a real company. That much is known.

As for the plastic, I don't see how that proves the synth is real or not. It looks just as real without the plastic as with it. Or if it was a rendering, then the plastic could be a rendering too.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:33 am

P0LYM00G wrote:Sound samples? Alesis created the Andromeda, the most sophisticated analog synth to date, and didn't have a single sound sample of it. Cwejman didn't either. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure Moog has sound samples either.
All of these companies have made numerous sound samples available.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=705590
http://www.cwejman.net/CWEJMAN_WEBB-S1%20MK2.htm
http://moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=40

Unless this company is generating hype by "leaking" images of a soon-to-be-released synth, surely SOMEONE would have made some sound samples by now. If it were an older synth, surely there would be SOME knowledge or record of it considering how amazing it looks.

I really don't know either way, but just some things to think about.

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:42 am

Musician's Friend isn't Alesis. Alesis didn't have any Andromeda samples on their site, only Ion samples. Those demos sound like typical user's demos. And Cwejman only seems to have demos of their new modules now. They didn't have any of their monophonic analog synth which has been around for years. I've heard that people thought the Cwejman was a hoax too. Yet now you can buy one.

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:45 am

I forgot to mention in my last post. I found another Seekers synth prototype rendering. As you can see, they don't seem to have the sophisticated skills in photo realistic 3D computer graphics.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:17 am

Yes, but you'd think sound samples would exist somewhere. Nobody is or has doubted the existance of the Andromeda, seems to me its hardly good press for the public to argue whether a product exists or not. Creates bad blood. Its been several months since these photo surfaced. It would be in the best interest of this company to release something; a website, a sample, a statement, ANYTHING.

One of three situations is going on here:
1) The photos are an elaborate hoax.
2) Its a prototype that never was and never will be released.
3) Its a prototype of a product that will be released.

With the exception of the blue panel version, those photos look pretty damn real to me. But then again, I'm no CG expert. None of these situations can be proven by any us. So, personally, unless I see some solid proof (i.e. an official anouncment from a company, a solid explanation from a reputable industry person or the hoaxer coming forward), I don't have much more to say on the subject.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:41 pm

OysterRock wrote:It would be in the best interest of this company to release something; a website, a sample, a statement, ANYTHING.
This just gets more bizarre!!
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 pm

ARP wrote:and the guy next to the synth...i've seen pictures of bigfoot that are more convincing...
Oh, mate, I've just checked this out and sat here laughing my head off! That is fakest image, yet. That bloke is obviously a cardboard cut-out. And as for his name... Very unusual! Also, the rear panel is at an extremely acute angle in this shot, which only adds even more doubt, for my money. Oh, yeah, and what's with those Korg Radias posters, and the one in Japanese, which appears to be floating in front of the background it's supposed to be hanging on?

Time will tell...

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:57 pm

Blue panel version? I haven't seen that one.

Cardboard cutout? I don't think so. There are 6 billion people on earth. I don't think putting somebody in a scene to photograph is hard to do. There was some talk that that booth image might just be a touched up photo to get rid of the shines and reflections in the posters and the guys face. In other words, make it look better for use somewhere.

The panel is adjustable, so it can be at about any angle a Voyager can. And I don't see any poster floating. There is a light source above casting a shadow which can be clearly seen. The poster is obviously hanging from its top which is out of the picture. The bottom is not pushed against the curtain. See, these things that people just make up about an image that are clearly not true which is feeding the scepticism. I mean, it there is something legitimately wrong, fine. But that's not what I'm hearing. Cardboard cutout? Come on. Unless everything in the scene is a cardboard cutout, then it must really exist in the scene.

I saw in the AH archives a professional photographer say that booth image was fake and listed a bunch of reasons why. Then I looked at other photographs and found that everything he said was wrong. There is no comparison between other similar photos out there.

And that gakki.com poster, I went to the site and they carry the Seekers vocoder which is the object next to the synth on the table. Five-G is also a real place. The name on the badge people found out was the guy who started Seekers. He even has a website. So there is stuff out there on the web despite what some here would have you believe.

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:01 am

I just thought, why don't you sceptics ask about this synth in general moog section? Maybe somebody out there knows the real story behind it. I don't think any of us are working with all of the information.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:04 am

P0LYM00G wrote:Blue panel version? I haven't seen that one.
This one looks kind of blue (miles anyone?) in my monitor. The panel is not the same color as the thing on the left, at least not in this photo.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:43 pm

Yeah, there is a slight blue tint to the panel in this image, particularly on the lower left side.

This is the photo I am really skeptical about, due to the lack of reflections. The left cheek of the synth has 3 recessed screws/bolts and the bottom one near the front should surely be reflected in the top of the counter, as should the wood of the cheek. I also feel that the device next to the synth should also show some evidence of being reflected in the counter-top, despite it being placed on bubble-wrap. Oh, and if the guy in that trade show photo isn't a cardboard cut-out, he has certainly been added to the picture after the event. His image is far too flat (maybe the synth fell on him - just a thought) and looks like it was taken under different lighting conditions.

Check it out for yourselves at:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2006/06 ... shots.html