Does anyone, who owns the Voyager, hate it?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:44 am

Wrong place to ask, I know... However, I was wondering if anyone here regrets their purchase? I went to a store which had both the Voyager and the LP. I was leaning toward the LP, but after using both...I'm leaning toward the Voyager. The LP was nice, but was just ordinary. A basic two osc synth that could get boring...and would not keep me from wanting a Voyager. The Voyager was the most beautiful, well built synth I have ever seen, touched or heard.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:01 am

The Voyager is definitely an amazing machine. I don't regret my purchase. Check ebay and you'll see there aren't too many used ones...that's a good place to see how well people are enjoying a synth I think.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:23 am

JSRockit wrote:The Voyager was the most beautiful, well built synth I have ever seen, touched or heard.
If you already feel this way about it before you own one, just think of how you'll feel after you've gotten to know it. At the price they go for used, there is no way you could regret it. That's just my opinion, though. You won't know unless you buy one!

Nice pics on Flickr, BTW. I've been considering getting a Machinedrum, do you ever regret buying it?

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:43 am

OysterRock wrote: Nice pics on Flickr, BTW. I've been considering getting a Machinedrum, do you ever regret buying it?
Thanks. While I did not regret buying it, I did recently sell it. I only lost a few dollars on it (bought it used) and made a nice sample library from it. I sold it because the Akai MPC series works better for my needs. That said, I may go for a UW version in the future. I've never spent more than $1300 on any synth or drum machine...so the Voyager is something I really have to think about. However, I have wanted one for about a year and finally getting my hands on it yesterday was like waving crack in front of a crack addict. The LP just didn't have the same effect on me.

Radio Lab

Post by Radio Lab » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:48 am

Hers my take on the purchase of my Voyager.
At first, I was impressed. totally.
then months later, as I got into the digital end of the thing it began to get all confusing and I was second guessing my purchase. just too many things to remember and not enough time to experiment. I had only been into the old analog synths where there were just a handful of knobs and switches to keep one happy and for the most part, they did.
Now that I've come to understand the beast, I realize the Voyager is a Tonal MONSTER, seriously!! the possibilities are endless. The pot mapping alone has 800 possibilities to alter and mix your sounds, and thats in the software menu. The software will have to be kept current thru downloads at the Moog Site. right now its at Ver 3.2 and always growing into the the next version.
If you are into learning your machine and you dont mind the time it'll take to Really get know your Voyager, then by all means get one. but if you are not, you will probably never get the chance to ride the beast as it was meant to. Well Needless to say 4 years later I still have my baby and all of the upgrades, addons, and toys that Moog has dreamt up for us and I love every aspect of it today.
Above all, the Voyager is not your fathers Model D Mini, for sure!!!
Good Luck!

dth

Post by dth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Yes I do. It is almost three monthts ago that I purchased my Voyager and I am still not able to use it the way it is supposed to. The first day I used it oscillator 3 broke down. Two months later I got a replacement, I turned it on and after a quarter of an hour or so, oscillator 1 broke down. I am still waiting for a decent solution...

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:58 pm

bad luck. You are in the minority.

i wouldnt let you touch one of my boards. :roll:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

dth

Post by dth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Yes, it is very easy to make fun of...

But I think the problem is due to a failing quality-control and a bad service.... I don't think it is normal to have to wait for months and get a replacement which happens to be from the same series and has the same failure and then hear nothing again.

If the supposed service of Moog would be at the same high level as its reputation I would already have gotten what I paid for...

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:07 pm

Sorry man but you need to find out whats caused the problem before coming on here wih your first post and flaming Moog.

Could it be that both were damaged during shipping?
Could it be user error?
Maybe its a faulty batch- if so moog would replace or repair the problem.
Have you spoken with Moog?

What was their response? Did you actually call them up and discuss the problems? Are they within warranty? This all seems a bit weird.......

Moog are the most friendly, helpful, caring company that i have come across in a long time and if they are not helping you it is because its not their responsibilty ie. the boards have been damaged by the user or shipping company etc etc. im not saying that this is def the case but its a possibilty.

Give us some more info on the exact problem, and what your correspondence has been with Moog and then maybe it can be moved forward.

8)
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:04 pm

How's the Voyager through just one output (as opposed to stereo)? What are the disadvantages? Anyone using it with MoogerFoogers this way?

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:23 pm

I use it with just the left output. I feel I can get a more defined sound, and the spacing control seems more alive. I love putting the signal through the MuRF which will give me a "stereo" signal out.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

newname

Post by newname » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:23 pm

JSRockit wrote:How's the Voyager through just one output (as opposed to stereo)?

well, it's mono. depending on which output and filter mode you use, the cutoff characteristics will change a bit. people who don't really know synths tend not to hear much difference, but to my ear the stereo spread can be really spectacular.

not to open a can of worms here, but i actually prefer the sound of this to the model D i used to have.

in mono, and with a bit of care, i can get plenty close to that 'classic' model D sound. not perfect, but if it's in a mix, people tend not to notice. comes down to how picky you are when you play your own lines, imvho...
JSRockit wrote: What are the disadvantages? Anyone using it with MoogerFoogers this way?
you mean in mono? i've done a lot of work with the 'insert' jack, at one point experimenting with using a 101 LPF in there and running the onboard filters wide open - result was very 'mini-like'.

the moogers are mono, so you don't have much choice there unless you are as rich as a sultan and like having lots of duplicate hardware lying about [not that i'm knocking it]. it's a great little environment for sound design. the moogers are a blast to work with and look great. if you've got the $, you won't be disappointed.

x

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 pm

JSRockit wrote:How's the Voyager through just one output (as opposed to stereo)? What are the disadvantages? Anyone using it with MoogerFoogers this way?
The disadvantage is that you lose the cool parallel LPF effect. I love this sound which is why I mostly run in stereo.

The advantage is that you can do the ext. input feedback trick and you can integrate more easily with a moogerfooger setup since they are all mono inputs (unless, of course, you have two of each moogerfooger). Also, some might argue that it will sound more like the original mini if run in mono, though I would not argue that since I don't care about it sounding like a mini.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 pm

Woah! Three posts in one minute.

...awwww..I'm last..

varice

Post by varice » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:23 pm

Well, I only hate that I do not have a Voyager (yet)!

Sorry for the off topic JSRockit, but:
newname wrote: ...i've done a lot of work with the 'insert' jack, at one point experimenting with using a 101 LPF in there and running the onboard filters wide open - result was very 'mini-like'.
Wow! Tell us more about what difference you hear using the MF-101 instead of the Voyager filter.

Here is a something that may be of interest to people who want to try the MF-101 LPF with other synths:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3034
varice