Does anyone, who owns the Voyager, hate it?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:16 pm

Oh, Mal, this must have been heartbreaking.
It was at first but as they started to go i realised that I had a big wodge of money so that was OK. Also, better I got the money then the wife in the impending divorce so I was Ok about it.

Looking back at the stuff i liked the most... I will probably repurchase a Model D, Jupiter 8 and miniKORG but that's it... as I plan to move forward and either buy a polyevolver or wait a little for the next best thing in polysynths.

I have also gone the VSTi route with the NI Kore which is working out to be a real workhorse.

(just about to service Chroma number 1)

I got a Matrix12 6 months before closing the studio... it would have been my penultimate synth as I had my eye on a SCi T8. I actually didn't like it very much and MUCH prefered the OB8. Too me it was just too perfect, the string sounds were so good that they would put a sample library to shame and I found it hard to fit it into the mix as every sound out of it was just so large. Nice looker though and quite nice to operate.

Arturia... hmmm, there stuff just doesn't sound right to me... too thin. I know Kent Spong very well (he services and restores all of RLMUSIC's instruments), he is one of the worlds premier CS80 restorers and he told me he can hear how Arturia modelled their CS80v on a unit that was faulty... it just doesn't sound like a CS80 (or a CS60 come to that).

GMedia's stuff is good though... their impOSCar and minimonsta are spot on... now I am waiting for the OB8 emulation which surfaced a few months back...(S.O.B.), know anything about it?

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

MC

Post by MC » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:56 pm

The Unknown wrote:I didn't realise you had a Matrix 12 - I have heard they sound amazing. Interestingly enough, Arturia have actually produced a software version of this, but can't release it, due to licensing problems (I was given this information a couple of years ago at the Sounds Expo, by someone from Arturia).
Licensing problems thanks to those bastards from Gibson Guitars who own the Oberheim trademark. There's a reason that no one has released a softsynth based on a vintage Oberheim.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:09 pm

Yes, I heard that was the case. Can't understand Gibson's philosophy. Are they planning an emulation of their own? I don't think so.

Mal, with regard to GMedia, I own an ImpOscar and an M-Tron, both of which I rate highly. I have a demo of the Minimonster but, as I own a Voyager, it seems pretty pointless buying that one, though it too is excellent. What's all this about an OB8 emulation? I've not heard about that one.

Concerning the Arturia sound, I can't pass judgement on that, as I have never owned a CS80 (I know it was used on the Blade Runner sound track - one of my favourite films) or a ARP 2600, both of which I have in 'V' format. I really just 'take as I find' with them, and find they have their uses, which is fair enough, I suppose.
Last edited by The Unknown on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm

If you run Reaktor... this is extremely good (OP-X)... in fact it's one of the most acurate vintage synth emulations I have heard to date!

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/

if they only made a standalone MacOSX VST of it I would be happy.

Mal
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:14 pm

I don't know about yourself, but one emulation I would really like to see, is that of an EMS VCS3. I know there is a stand alone version out there for Mac OS, but I want an AU version. GMedia, are you listening?
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:19 pm

Never been interested in EMS gear... and can't beleive they hold such high prices today when they were designed to be cheap synths... with cheap components. Nice interface though but i am a black and white notes man, I need a keyboard.

GMedia have produced an OBX/8 clone called S.O.B. which they showed at the last namm... probably being held up due to Gibson.

M

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:22 pm

mee3d wrote:probably being held up due to Gibson.
Bastards. :evil:

Regarding EMS, I wouldn't buy a hardware version of the VCS3. £1800.00? Way too much. I think it is likely to be emulated, though, and would definitely buy one, if this proves to be the case.

easterleggs

Re: Does anyone, who owns the Voyager, hate it?

Post by easterleggs » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:08 pm

dth wrote:Yes I do. It is almost three monthts ago that I purchased my Voyager and I am still not able to use it the way it is supposed to. The first day I used it oscillator 3 broke down. Two months later I got a replacement, I turned it on and after a quarter of an hour or so, oscillator 1 broke down. I am still waiting for a decent solution...
In defense of dth, when I purchased my Voyager three years ago, OSC 3 went bad after a few months. But, the Voyager was repaired under warranty and returned to me pretty quickly. Apparently the suspect was a bad capacitor. The technician claimed that other units had been similarly affected. No more problems to date.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:43 pm

RE: software VCS3. Here's a free one for the mac:

http://macmusic.org/software/version.ph ... n/id/2648/

I've had great success creating insects with it. Still trying to learn more capabilities, though...

-andrew bunny

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:00 pm

dth wrote:Yes, it is very easy to make fun of...

But I think the problem is due to a failing quality-control and a bad service.... I don't think it is normal to have to wait for months and get a replacement which happens to be from the same series and has the same failure and then hear nothing again.

If the supposed service of Moog would be at the same high level as its reputation I would already have gotten what I paid for...
I haven't read through all of the other comments regarding your situation here, and stuff does happen (I had a hellish repair with Elektron on my Machinedrum, and no one else has had problems with them, but it was a special situation), however I do have to say that this is a little odd IMHO.

I recently took my Signature in for repair/tuning/upgrading, and it was as simple as a quick phone call (the office manager is very nice) and a drive to Ashville. I hung out with Amos for about 2 hours or so while he did it (my tuning went super quick... about 5 minutes which he said was odd), and talked to Mike quite a bit. They were all super helpful, super nice, and super easy to get in touch with. In fact everyone I've ever met who has worked with Moog either in the present, or in the past (Dr. Bob and Tom Rhea), was super nice and approachable and always very responsive with any question regarding my synth (or even regarding thoughts on other synths).

If anything at all was wrong with my Moog, I feel totally certain that I could have it taken care of nearly immediately (within probably 48-72 hours or less if it was an emergency). I wonder what popped in your oscilator boards? There's not that many capacitors in there... perhaps an IC? Out of spec resistor?
Signature #144

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:02 am

DELETED

monads

Post by monads » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:22 pm

Tibbon wrote: I recently took my Signature in for repair/tuning/upgrading, and it was as simple as a quick phone call (the office manager is very nice) and a drive to Ashville. I hung out with Amos for about 2 hours or so while he did it (my tuning went super quick... about 5 minutes which he said was odd), and talked to Mike quite a bit. They were all super helpful, super nice, and super easy to get in touch with. In fact everyone I've ever met who has worked with Moog either in the present, or in the past (Dr. Bob and Tom Rhea), was super nice and approachable and always very responsive with any question regarding my synth (or even regarding thoughts on other synths).
To me this is what makes the company special. Nowadays you just can't make a simple phone call to a vendor, drive down there if in the area and get your item repaired/serviced on the spot while you talk with staff? This is almost unheard of now.

Sneaker

Post by Sneaker » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:29 pm

I just got my Voyager this past Saturday; I have been wanting one for quite a while now. The hardest thing was going to work on Monday having only 2 days to play on the new purchase.

I can't get enough, I have scoured the Moogspace website for tips and tricks and all kinds of information. I dove into pot mapping and oscillator tuning/phasing yesterday and making some of my own presets.

I was a big fan of the softsynth VST's for Cubase but I forgot how rich and warm true analog sound is. Don't get me wrong they are great for several reasons and I have made some good music with them but it always seemed like something was missing.

I have no regrets in purchasing the Voyager; I am excited to learn all of the features so I can fully understand all the colors I have to paint with.

I like the balance of digital and analog for my production and the voyager is a great tool to define you're own style of sound or at least get you started. The vast or endless amount of sounds can cater to pretty much anyone’s likings.

I have only owned one for 4 days but I can't say enough about it.

P0LYM00G

SMS 2000 Video

Post by P0LYM00G » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Did any of you guys notice the sms 2000 synth video? I was looking at steve coopers page and noticed a video button. How long has that been there? Now I'm really confused. Here is a url.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k77/s ... MS2000.flv

OysterRock

Re: SMS 2000 Video

Post by OysterRock » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:02 pm

P0LYM00G wrote:Did any of you guys notice the sms 2000 synth video? I was looking at steve coopers page and noticed a video button. How long has that been there? Now I'm really confused. Here is a url.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k77/s ... MS2000.flv
Ha! That's good. It going to take more than that to convince me, in fact the video has only tightened the hoax noose.

A single man in a misterious near-empty room. Turns this huge synth with the greatest of ease. Slllllooooooooowly turns the filter knob, barely keeping in track with the recording of the real synth playing. That's all he wanted to show us?!? What about all the other great features it surely has!?!?

Now, I'm not a skeptical person by nature, but come on.......

Why is this person still doing this? Is this some sick fetish?